lower price mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I want to go Mac but am looking for a 12 inch i5 macbook 8 gig for $800 new. I thought I would see them but not so far..???
I want a dual boot machine with Ubuntu. Where would you look???I only want the Mac for music making software. I like Ubuntu for most else..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    If this isn’t actually a set up for spam/scam: 

you can get last year’s (Non-retina display) 13” MacBook Air for about that price new. That’s it. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    if it was why did it get thru????
    WHy is the Macbook ignored now. Its all about the Pro and the Air. Since they all weigh nothing then why not get rid of the air???
    I dont care about retina. All that is doing is damaging your eyesight slowly.I want an i5 not   a m3. I think I should be able to get a 12 inch for 825.
    Where is it??
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    2gt5 said:
    WHy is the Macbook ignored now. Its all about the Pro and the Air. Since they all weigh nothing then why not get rid of the air???
    I dont care about retina. All that is doing is damaging your eyesight slowly.I want an i5 not   a m3. I think I should be able to get a 12 inch for 825.
    Where is it??
    What's the mechanism on this?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ????? what is a mechanism??
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    2gt5 said:
    ????? what is a mechanism??
    How is it that Retina displays are damaging your eyesight slowly, versus any other kind of display?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    2gt5 said:
    Where is it??
    As someone whose eyesight is naturally deteriorating as normal with age, I can tell you that retina displays are hugely beneficial and improve my life more the worse my eyesight becomes. 

They do not *cause* eyesight damage, and I have no idea why you think that they do. 

I agree that it is strange that the 12” MacBook hasn’t been updated since June 2017, but if you’re looking for an i5 and don’t care about retina displays, then BUY A 2017 MACBOOK AIR, as I recommended. It comes at the price you want where it’s still available, but it’s 13”. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    2gt52gt5 Posts: 6member
    I found a new one on ebay,825$  but the seller has no history and it looks suspicious. I am going to just offer 800 at stores and someone will eventually go for it. I saw
    799$ around xmas but it was the m3 processor.
    And btw the absurd amount of time that people spend on screentime IS doing damage to eyes and eye genetics. It wont be documented for a few more years but its coming.
    Eyes were NOT meant to look at LEDs and similar for hours a day. Never in 3 thousand years have they had to do that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    2gt52gt5 Posts: 6member
    I bought an Air for 880$. IT has the i7 so I paid up for it. It only has 128 ssd but I only use normally 40 gigs of a hard drive.Even when I have dual boot.
    Ubuntu is great in part because it is so lean on resources.