Researcher demos new macOS Keychain exploit, holds data from Apple in protest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ABiteaDay said:
    Can someone please just lay out an understandable process for fixing this, step by step.  Apple should do it immediately, but if anyone can help it would be very appreciated 
    It’s not a big deal unless you don’t trust people who have access to your Mac. However to really be safe (at the risk of inconvenience) you can lock the login keychain in keychain access. Launch that app (you can use spotlight) and on the left panel there’s a login keychain, amongst others. Right click to lock it. 

You will be asked for a password for all autocomplete name/passwords kept in keychain.  (The remember me on the website itself wont be affected). 
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Sounds like extortion to me. This Resercher should be prosecuted. They are are as bad as the black hat hackers, that would use this exploite.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    davgreg said:
    If they can pay about $3 Billion for Beats- a "me too" rental service that also sold crappy headphones and speakers, they can afford to pay better bounties for bugs and hire more people to suit their stuff.
    You realize that became Apple Music, right? /eyeroll
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    volcan said:
    jurassic said:

"1) the person trying to steal your passwords has to first have access to your Mac."

So don't give your Mac to the hacker... Problem solved! ;-))

In most cases anyone with access to the Mac can reset the admin password using the recovery partition. Once you have the admin password you can reset the Keychain password. On the other hand File Vault recovery can be a bit problematic.
    You obviously have not tried to reset a keychain password that is not the same as the login password.
    Rayz2016asdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    The penetration of iOS and its importance to Apple is much greater than macOS. It makes sense that Apple doles out more for iOS exploits.
    watto_cobra