Publishers balk at Apple's news subscription proposal over revenue split, access to subscr...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Who in their right mind would give Apple a 50% cut?
    When you consider the work that Apple will starting doing for the publications, including hosting the data, it's not really a 50% cut. Maybe 40%.
    While the publishers, writers, photographers etc create the content that Apple is hosting, and creation takes far more investment in both time and money.  I agree with a few others in the thread, 50% for hosting is a bit much IMHO.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Who in their right mind would give Apple a 50% cut?
    I would. Apple is on the way to create the biggest news outlet in the world and these publications have fewer eyes and little subscribers.

bitmod said:
    berndog said:
    This is a chance for the dead tree media to save themselves from obscurity and crippling advertising sponsorship - it will also be a path for real journalism to return and allow opinion to flourish without the biased filter through which it is all run today. Hopefully  quality the likes of which we have not seen in thirty years or so will make it back into the public arena and the really good writers will be back on the payroll.
    viva la freelancer!
    Wrong. It gives Apple the power to play dictator and censor whatever media doesn’t fit Tim’s agenda.
    Who wants Apple censoring their news? Nobody. 

This service is DOA again. Apple keeps trying to take control of the publishing industry - and keeps failing. 
    With modern responsive web standards, there is zero reason for a person to switch from browser to an app based platform, or the publisher’s own app. For publishers, it makes even less sense to give Apple even a 5% cut of revenues as the value to them is more exposure for their advertisers - not the medium. And their bread and butter are the small guys - not just Nike and Nissan.

I said this exact thing 6 years ago and I was right. Now Apple is back trying it again - I will be right again. 

Where are the new iMacs? I wish Apple would focus on innovation again and design great hardware and software. This focus on services is screaming they are completely out of ideas.

I had to help my dad out with his new Dell (Which he bought because Apple was almost twice the cost for 2 year old technology, but he really wanted to switch - waited a frickin year). - and Windows sucks!
    But if Microsoft ever released a half decent OS - Apple will be out of the desktop game in a nano second... 

I do. I'm a strong believer in uncensored content but have you read the news lately?

Apple was fighting fake news before it was made cool. I trust Apple more than Bloomberg, Facebook etc. Also Apple has a huge News userbase so this is different from their old efforts. I think Apple is swinging at the opportunity here before they lose it.

If these publishers don't get on board Apple should just hire their own journalists and take a piece of their pie. Apple can then make a news channel for Apple TV etc.

I would take it a step further and allow a paid android app yet give iPhone users a free year for new purchases. Yet another reason to own Apple and upgrade.