'AirPods 2' rumored to launch in spring alongside AirPower, feature new black color option...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    svanstrom said:
    The black option will function exactly the same but cost $100 more, right?

;) 
    So… you rushed to make that joke about Apple pricing because… all their other black versions of anything have a higher pricepoint… or…?
    Black MacBooks cost an extra $100 if I remember correctly, but that was maybe 13 or 14 years ago
    Yes they did. And I bought one. I paid the black MacBook premium. To be fair, it also came with a larger HDD, but that was hardly worth the additional $100. It was probably one of their biggest sellers too.
  • Reply 22 of 30

svanstrom said:

;) 
    So… you rushed to make that joke about Apple pricing because… all their other black versions of anything have a higher pricepoint… or…?
    I take it you don’t remember the MacBook that came in either black or white and the black option was significantly more expensive but technically the same and only different in color. 
    No, it also had a larger hard drive. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 30

AF_Hitt said:
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    I'm sure he meant it in a lighthearted way but the meme is getting ridiculous.

As if Apple offers nothing in their pricing.
    To be fair, that’s exactly what Apple did with the black MacBook back in the day. Exact same internal specs, but higher price strictly because of color. Although that is the one and only product I know of that they’ve ever done that. (And to be fair to Apple, it did look super cool!)
    It also had a larger HDD which I don’t think was an option for the white model — actually come to think of it, I do believe it was an option that cost less than the $100 bump on the black MacBook. But had black fever so I didn’t care ... haha
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 24 of 30
    entropys said:
    AirPods = Apple’s 3rd coolest product 

They were a huge hit at Christmas...
    Just found out they're the 2nd most successful Apple product.

"Apple died with Steve"
    "Apple can't innovate"
    "Tim isn't a visionary"

etc. etc.
    Well, to be fair, the AirPods are an example of the type of hardware with that bit of magic that is the Apple of old, something that has been all too lacking in recent times.
    Cool story except that they didn't come out in Apple-of-old, they came out two years ago from current Apple. As have the amazing Apple Watch, the amazing iPad Pro, the amazing X, etc etc.. The meme that "Apple can't innovate anymore!" is complete nonsense.

Meanwhile, Samsung and the Chinese knockoffs just keep copying what Apple is doing. The latest Samsung leaks, the prior Chinese AirPod ripoffs, etc..
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 25 of 30
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    AF_Hitt said:
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    I'm sure he meant it in a lighthearted way but the meme is getting ridiculous.

As if Apple offers nothing in their pricing.
    To be fair, that’s exactly what Apple did with the black MacBook back in the day. Exact same internal specs, but higher price strictly because of color. Although that is the one and only product I know of that they’ve ever done that. (And to be fair to Apple, it did look super cool!)
    Currently the black trackpad, black magicmouse and the black keyboard all cost about $20 more than their white/silver counterparts.
    So, frankly his comment seems very valid, and there is a very real possibility of it coming true.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    I was thinking that I’d happily pay the premium, as I expect that they would sort of disappear against the shadows of the human ear canal and sideburns… but then there are those times one wears earbuds to sort of broadcast that they don't want to be spoken to (sidewalk canvassers, etc.)… interesting tradeoff…
  • Reply 27 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    Black MacBooks cost an extra $100 if I remember correctly, but that was maybe 13 or 14 years ago

It was up to about 11 years ago, when they switched to the Unibody design, and stopped selling the Black MacBook in favour of an aluminium one.

The Black MacBook came by default with higher specs than the baseline White MacBook. Even after speccing up, there was about a $100 difference, which was called the "Black Tax", but it could also be viewed as the price to pay to get the thing two days earlier. I bought a black one because, in theory, I could just walk in and take it away with the specs I wanted. In practice it took a few goes at a few different stores to find one, and I probably would have been better served getting a white one, but I wanted it with those specs and I didn't want to wait. I can be impatient at times.

• Reply 28 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I was thinking that I’d happily pay the premium, as I expect that they would sort of disappear against the shadows of the human ear canal and sideburns… but then there are those times one wears earbuds to sort of broadcast that they don't want to be spoken to (sidewalk canvassers, etc.)… interesting tradeoff…

I'd happily pay it, too. I don't find the white ones particularly effective at stopping people trying to talk to me, even in Apple Stores, where they should know what they are. Then again, I never had much luck with over the ear headphones, either. People just feel they need to talk to you, regardless. Then, after getting you to stop what you're doing, take your earphone out so you can hear them, they call you rude if you then don't want to hold a half hour conversation about the weather, or when the next bus is due, or whatever.

svanstrom
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    Lighten up! My goodness. It was an obvious joke. 

https://emojipedia.org/winking-face/
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Black version? Should have released it along with the white version.

Kidding. Just another way to “force” another purchase.