Apple's 2019 hardware roadmap calls for at least 11 new products

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple is anticipated to update nearly every line of hardware it has in 2019. AppleInsider shows you what we're expecting to see, including the "AirPods 2," 2019 Mac Pro, Apple Pro displays, new iPhones, the "iPad mini 5," and more.

Renders of the 2019 iPhones, fourth generation iPad mini, AirPower

As happens every year, Apple makes a large number of changes to its product portfolio, and 2019 is shaping up to feature a considerable amount of major upgrades.

TF International Securities' forecasts for Apple's hardware releases in 2019
TF International Securities' forecasts for Apple's hardware releases in 2019

Practically all corners of Apple's hardware empire will see changes, including the iOS-based iPhone and iPad ranges, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, and accessories such as AirPods and the long-awaited AirPower.

Custom-painted black first-generation AirPods
Custom-painted black first-generation AirPods

AirPods 2

Anticipated to launch in the first half of 2019, or at latest, the fall.

Health-related features reminiscent of the Apple Watch's functions are touted, monitoring inside the ear for the user's heart rate.

While similar in appearance to the originals, the second generation may ship with a black color option alongside white. Extra grip in the ear is expected, via a change in its coating rather than by physical design alterations.

The current 15-inch MacBook Pro
The current 15-inch MacBook Pro

16-inch MacBook Pro

A larger model of MacBook Pro is tipped for launch, with a 16 to 16.5-inch display.

Apple's last 17-inch MacBook Pro shipped in late 2011. It is presently considered an obsolete product, and Apple isn't offering service for it any longer.

The fourth-generation iPad mini
The fourth-generation iPad mini

iPad Mini 5

International regulatory filings indicate new models are on the way, potentially including the iPad mini and could arrive early in the year.

An early-2019 launch for the new fifth-generation iPad mini is expected.

The update is thought to be relatively similar to its previous form, including a headphone jack, 7.9-inch display, and the continued use of Touch ID instead of shifting to Face ID.

One big change is the possible addition of Smart Keyboard support, along with the Apple Pencil.

Render of what the 2019 iPhone could look like with a triple rear camera
Render of what the 2019 iPhone could look like with a triple rear camera

2019 iPhone

Apple is expected to release three iPhones this fall, following a similar pattern to the 2018 releases, with two OLED models joined by a cheaper iPhone XR-style LCD model.

This could be the last generation to use LCD before Apple moves completely over to OLED in 2020, though it is also possible the shift could happen this year.

A triple camera setup is tipped to appear on the rear, which could include the ability to produce depth maps similar to the front-facing TrueDepth camera in current-generation models.

The front TrueDepth camera could get an upgrade, making it capable of producing a 10-megapixel image.

It is suggested there could be bilateral wireless charging, allowing an iPhone to provide charge to another device. Other new additions could be larger batteries, a frosted glass casing, and support for UWB (ultra-wide band) for indoor positioning and navigation.

There have been some debate about whether Apple will stick to Lightning or shift to USB-C, just like the iPad Pro.

The current model of Mac Pro
The current model of Mac Pro

2019 Mac Pro

Expected for launch sometime in 2019, but it is unclear when in the year it will take place. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that it will be easy to upgrade, but Apple has only said that this model will be modular in design.

What that "modular" specifically means for the end-user isn't clear at present.

LG's UltraFine 5K monitor, built in collaboration with Apple.
LG's UltraFine 5K monitor, built in collaboration with Apple.

Apple Professional 6K Display

Anticipated to launch alongside the new Mac Pro, though it is unknown when that will be during the year.

Expected to be a 31.6-inch 6K3K display (6,144 x 3,072 resolution) and will use a "mini LED-like backlight design" to deliver outstanding picture quality.

After decades of continuous monitor production, Apple's last display was the 27-inch Apple Thunderbolt Display. It was discontinued on June 23, 2016.

The 2018 iPad
The 2018 iPad

Seventh generation iPad

An early 2019 launch is expected for the model, based on rumors and the existence of regulatory model number filings.

A design refresh is tipped to take place, possibly borrowing elements from the iPad Pro design.

The well-known 9.7-inch display is expected to increase in size, possibly measuring 10.2 inches, though it is likely the overall device size won't grow as much.

Smart Keyboard support is touted for the model, allowing the accessory to connect in a similar way to the iPad Pro range.

Even with the changes, it is probable that the iPad will continue to use Touch ID, not Face ID.

The 2018 iPad Pro
The 2018 iPad Pro

iPad Pro

Following the previous model updates, Apple is thought to ship two models of the iPad Pro as part of its usual refresh, with upgraded processors.

Apple last updated the iPad Pro in October 2018 with a new exterior design, and Face ID.

AirPower charging mat
AirPower charging mat

AirPower

Originally slated for launch in 2018, but now expected to ship in the first half of 2019.

Allows up to three devices to wirelessly charge at the same time, such as an iPhone, Apple Watch, and an AirPods charging case

Apple Watch Series 4
Apple Watch Series 4

Apple Watch Series 5

At present, there are few rumors discussing the Apple Watch -- save one from Ming Chi Kuo.

The Apple Watch "Series 5" is thought to reintroduce the option for a ceramic body, after being dropped from the Series 4 roster.

iPod Touch
iPod Touch

iPod Touch

Tipped for launch at some point in 2019, but with no indication as to when the seventh-generation iPod Touch will make an appearance.

No details about changes have emerged, except for speculation it will have an upgraded processor.

All quiet regarding the Apple TV, the iMac, and the Mac mini

Very little has emerged on the Apple TV since the 4K version was launched. Similarly, the iMac 4K and iMac 5K are likely to get an update, but there hasn't been anything of any substance in from the supply chain regarding the topic.

Apple has very recently updated the Mac mini, and probably won't do so again in 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    C'mon Apple, please update the iMac.  I've squeezed every last performance drop out of my late 2009 model. 

Doesn't have to be a major step-change...internals and ports like the mini?  

(Well, I do love the space gray body of the iMac Pro.)
  • Reply 2 of 78
    fumifumi Posts: 23member
    I'm so ready for AirPower. Get a move on, Apple.
    AppleExposedMacProflyingdp
  • Reply 3 of 78
    But are any of those products really new or are they just updates to existing products? When will we see something truly groundbreaking from Apple?
    redhotfuzzflyingdpgbdocpembrokeanantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 78
    But are any of those products really new or are they just updates to existing products? When will we see something truly groundbreaking from Apple?
    🙄
    lolliverStrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Exciting year.
    edited February 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 78
    My two cents:

Airpods were and continue to be truly groundbreaking (in case you're implying that they haven't released anything groundbreaking in years).

The new iPad Pro is groundbreaking from a hardware point of view, years ahead of the competition, and competing speed and GPU wise with current shipping computers. What would be groundbreaking is a sustainable model and commitment from major software vendors like Adobe (and Apple, for that matter) to bring Pro software to the iPad. I much prefer working on iPad over any OSX device, but I need better file management, Adobe Illustrator, and a few other software improvements in order to ditch OSX altogether. Then there's the whole programming on iPad issue.

A compact Macbook Pro with decent GPU performance would be groundbreaking. There's very little that's Pro about the 13" Macbook Pro.

Airpower for $150 or less will be groundbreaking, allowing you to charge your phone, wireless headphones, and watch at the same time, from one outlet.

Siri being able to understand my voice would be groundbreaking. I can't imagine how poorly it must work for people with an accent.

Shifting the AppleTV to be gaming centric (really, just a positioning and controller issue) could be groundbreaking, especially if there's a game subscription service in the works. Adding a wireless hub to Apple TV at the current price point could also be groundbreaking. Consistent, reliable wifi is still an unsolved issue at my home and office, despite trying various solutions (Apple and Orbi).

Incorporating a key, tempo, genre, and energy algorithm into Apple Music in order to auto mix playlists could be groundbreaking. I'd at least settle for adding this metadata to tracks so I can manually sort playlists more effortlessly. All we have now is BPM and genre.

Global ECG support for Apple Watch would be groundbreaking.

From my point of view, who needs brand new products (VR glasses? a car? iPhone socks?) when there's so much room to innovate across the existing product line. You can't even get a 6-core iMac right now, but you can get a 6-core Mac mini or 15" Macbook pro. I'd prefer they have more of their focus on the current product line than trying to find the next big thing.
    minicoffeemuthuk_vanalingamchasmStrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 7 of 78
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Wow what a busy year if they could fulfill this gigantic order!!

I would hope for an Apple TV this year.

gsteeno said:
    C'mon Apple, please update the iMac.  I've squeezed every last performance drop out of my late 2009 model. 

You have a 2009 iMac. Even a 2012 iMac would be a huge upgrade. No need to wait.

My 2009 iMac is still going strong too BTW.
    lollivernetmage
  • Reply 8 of 78
    100% agreed. While it’s great (and critically important) Apple is finally updating some ***stagnant*** existing products (or bringing them back from the dead in the case of the Mac Pro or displays) they aren’t the type of historical Apple innovation that they (we) really need right now. I continue to be bewildered that Apple ceded control of the home automation market to creepy Google and FREAKING AMAZON OF ALL COMPANIES!!! For years Apple was rumored to be jumping into smart home hardware yet we never saw squat materialize. So now if I want a security camera, doorbell or smart thermostat I almost have to buy one from an advertising company that intends to track my every move??? Thanks, Apple.

I’d love to dump DropBox and rely exclusively on iCloud, but iCloud STILL doesn’t do proper versioning. Talk about getting dunked on by the little guy. I’d also love to dump my Office365 subscription, but Pages/Numbers/Keynote continue to creep along like the afterthought they are. All these checks I’m writing to Apple’s competitors and Apple doesn’t seem to care. 

Also, they abandon products like Aperature or AirPort, which may not add much to the bottom line but serve to strengthen the Apple ecosystem (like I want to pay Adobe $120 a year for Lightroom???). And the ecosystem is important!!! Tim Cook truly believes Apple can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. Tim may be a great operations guy, but WHAT HAPPENED TO THE APPLE VISION??!
    AppleExposedentropysflyingdpwilliamhtokyojimuasdasdzoetmb
  • Reply 9 of 78

You have a 2009 iMac. Even a 2012 iMac would be a huge upgrade. No need to wait.

No doubt.  I've nearly pulled the trigger on the mid 2017 multiple times, but mentally can't make peace on buying something ~ 700 days old.  An iMac update just seems imminent.  
    camcredhotfuzzentropysneil anderson
  • Reply 10 of 78
    gsteeno said:

Doesn't have to be a major step-change...
    10 years ago.

Today.

the bezels & huge chin are really outdated.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 11 of 78
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    gsteeno said:

but mentally can't make peace on buying something ~ 700 days old.  An iMac update just seems imminent.  
    For the AAPL folks listening: same here.
    neil anderson
  • Reply 12 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I wonder:
    Are they going to wait till the MacBook becomes almost totally obsolete and out of date before switching it to an "A Series" processor?
    And, will the addition of a cursor to the iPad be announced as a software or a hardware update?
    gbdoc
  • Reply 13 of 78

gsteeno said:

As is my 2007 one.  However, as someone else posted, buying a computer with 2 year old specs is a recipe for disappointment.  In the PC world, that rarely stands, as you can just make your own PC and be done with it.  Of course you don’t have the same support and you spend a lot of time reconfiguring, optimizing, and updating the modular design (drivers, O/S) and hope it works after each update.

All in all, I don’t really miss the PC days, but when the time between updates on the Mac, I start looking over the fence to see what’s going on over there...
    albegarc
  • Reply 14 of 78

I wonder:
    Are they going to wait till the MacBook becomes almost totally obsolete and out of date before switching it to an "A Series" processor?
    And, will the addition of a cursor to the iPad be announced as a software or a hardware update?
    The addition of the cursor will be “monumental!”  “Groundbreaking!”  And “The most exciting ever that Apple has produced!”
  • Reply 15 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    It would be a lot more useful for photographers to have a 6K x 4K monitor ... :)  I know, 'you can't always get want you want ... la la la ...'
  • Reply 16 of 78

The best thing about slumping iPhone sales and smartphone saturation throughout the world, is that perhaps Apple will put some people back in the Mac marketplace and come out with something new more often than every 5+ years! I'm glad smartphones are waning... I'm so sick and tired of going to a "MAC" site and seeing nothing but shit about f****** iPhones!

• Reply 17 of 78

I wonder:
    The addition of the cursor will be “monumental!”  “Groundbreaking!”  And “The most exciting ever that Apple has produced!”
    They can make it red.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    I’d be in on a new mini, Touch, iPhone & Apple Watch. Good with the rest. My wallet can only take so much. 
    mike54
  • Reply 19 of 78
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

gsteeno said:

As is my 2007 one.  However, as someone else posted, buying a computer with 2 year old specs is a recipe for disappointment.  In the PC world, that rarely stands, as you can just make your own PC and be done with it.  Of course you don’t have the same support and you spend a lot of time reconfiguring, optimizing, and updating the modular design (drivers, O/S) and hope it works after each update.

All in all, I don’t really miss the PC days, but when the time between updates on the Mac, I start looking over the fence to see what’s going on over there...

I don't miss the PC days. Hours of life I'll never get back.
    lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Any news on Apple's VR device? Are they still targeting 2020? They really should bump that up if they can.