Apple's 2020 iPhones expected to use 5nm 'A14' TSMC chips

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    bsimpsen said:
    MacPro said:
    5 nanometers ...  Sheesh!  I am getting flashbacks to computer RAM stated in kilobytes.  How long before we see picometers used?  
    Picometers won't happen. Silicon atoms have a diameter of 222pm. We're nearing the limit for how small a transistor can be. Any significant future improvement must come from a combination of 3D stacking, architectural advances, application specific design, or something else as yet unimagined.
    I hear you, I am sure someone will come up with a solution.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don’t understand why people in 2019 are buying $1100 iPhone XS Maxes ,where a larger iPad 10’ costs only $330. 
    Can people in the comment section help me understand?
    Less people are buying crazy expensive phones now. Hopefully it slows more and more. The only lesson Apple listens to.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    5 nm is ..... small. Very. Impressive. 
    It sure is. That said, if most of the extra capacity disappears at restarting Intel-modems / re-addressing T2 inconveniences, better have some other priorities as a system-integrator vs. designer
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 24 of 38
    I checked local apple website and it is there. Not as top news but is it. https://www.apple.com/cz/apple-pay/
    MacPro said:
    5 nanometers ...  Sheesh!  I am getting flashbacks to computer RAM stated in kilobytes.  How long before we see picometers used?  
    The Atari 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM.
    I saw quote yesterday. What were people doing in 1967 with 2 KB of RAM? Sending people to moon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I don’t understand why people in 2019 are buying $1100 iPhone XS Maxes ,where a larger iPad 10’ costs only $330. 
    Because the XS Max is far more mobile and fits into pockets easier
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    MacPro said:
    I’am not an electrical engineer. What happens after 1 nanometer chip designs?
    Most probably one won’t reach that point because of quantum tunneling: electrons jumping deliberately among transistors or something like that...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    MacPro said:
    It makes no sense. Picometer and kilobyte are two different things. One is a scale, the other is quantity. There are no relationship to each other.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Latko said:
    5 nm is ..... small. Very. Impressive. 
    It sure is. That said, if most of the extra capacity disappears at restarting Intel-modems / re-addressing T2 inconveniences, better have some other priorities as a system-integrator vs. designer
    I get your point. I just thought physics here. When only a few years back the then visit of < 20nm was discussed and chances were to be declared plain crazy when talking about < 10nm. 
    Today, we are approaching single atom transistors:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_nanometer

Not the most recent, but I found it a good read as well: https://semiengineering.com/racing-to-107nm/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    MacPro said:
    bsimpsen said:
    MacPro said:
    Picometers won't happen. Silicon atoms have a diameter of 222pm. We're nearing the limit for how small a transistor can be. Any significant future improvement must come from a combination of 3D stacking, architectural advances, application specific design, or something else as yet unimagined.
    I hear you, I am sure someone will come up with a solution.
    We have many solutions to improving performance. It doesn't have to shrink the transistors. Some were mentioned such as 3D Stacking.

But the biggest problem isn't reaching 1nm, or post 1nm. [*] It is the cost of having higher performance. So far there isn't any technology on the horizon that signals cost reduction. EUV, 400mm Wafer ( Likely won't happen ). The problem is how we could get there while having someone to pay for it. Apple is already making smaller die size in its iPhone ( lower cost ), and my guess is that they will continue to do so.

[*] The actual size of the transistor isn't really 7nm or 5nm, these number are more like marketing numbers. So to reach the theoretical limit of electron size or say 1nm we still have a long way to go. Don't be surprise we could do 0.5nm or 0.2nm.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Because the XS Max is far more mobile and fits into SOME pockets easier

That is a bit more accurate IMHO. I know of some pockets that the max size phone that will fit is an iPhone 7 or 8.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 31 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    bsimpsen said:
    MacPro said:

I heard the naysayers for the past three decades and yet we're still keeping them smaller and smaller than ever. I am not sure how they manage to make them smaller. 

• Reply 32 of 38
    netrox said:
    bsimpsen said:
    MacPro said:

I heard the naysayers for the past three decades and yet we're still keeping them smaller and smaller than ever. I am not sure how they manage to make them smaller. 

And eventually the naysayers will be right.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Because the XS Max is far more mobile and fits into SOME pockets easier

That is a bit more accurate IMHO. I know of some pockets that the max size phone that will fit is an iPhone 7 or 8.
    The iPhone max will fit better in any pocket vs a 9.7 in iPad. That was the comparison. Not people who wear jeans or pants so tight that the Max or Plus sized phones can’t squeeze into a pocket.

I personally wear slim fit jeans everyday and I have never had an issue with my Max not fitting into my rear or front pocket. 

• Reply 34 of 38
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    If a person is worried about cost than there are cheaper iPhones to consider. Would you ask the same question to someone using a 7 Plus if they just bought the phone new in 2019 at a discounted price ? You’re question seems to be about price and not screen size. 

I would never sit in an office setting with a full size iPad to text or answer email.  I wouldn’t sit at a bar to text and take a call with a full size iPad. That just seems ridiculous to me. Yes the Max gives you 6.5 inches of screen with the body the same size as the Plus sized phones. It’s in no way as large or wide as a 9.7 inch iPad. 

These are just the reasons that I wouldn’t consider replacing a larger screen phone with a budget iPad. 
  • Reply 35 of 38
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    bsimpsen said:
    MacPro said:
    Already imagined: quantum computing and superconductivity.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    Fatman said:
    5 nm - this will be the chip used for the start of A-based Macs. Apple will save substantially from not having to pay Intel for their CPUs, that they may even put more than one in a computer ala BeOS - imagine that.
    Yeah we hope!! This could also help Apple take a higher portion of profit share and widen the gap in performance with the MacBook wannabes.

And what's BeOS?
    BeOS was the OS Apple almost purchased to replace the classic MacOS. They chose NeXTSTEP instead. 
  • Reply 37 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    bsimpsen said:
    MacPro said:
    Single atom transistors. 

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120219KlimeckAtom.html
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Whenever I try to take or make a phone call on my 12.9” iPad in public, I get weird looks... it’s also super awkward & automatically starts out in speakerphone, unless I have a bluetooth headset paired 24/7.

You should also see me trying to quickly look up an address in my car using GPS on my iPad, instead of on my phone, like a normal person. 3 tickets & 2 accidents so far!

At least I’m building a lot of muscle mass, pulling my iPad out the 100+ times a day I like to check email, the time, text, use social media, etc.

Ugh, I did spend a lot retrofitting all my jeans w/ 13” diagonal pockets though.

/s

Need any more “examples”, or do you recognize how ridiculous your question is?