Antelope ships USB-C Edge Go mic with bundled emulation tools

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Antelope Audio on Wednesday launched the Edge Go, a product it claims is the "world's first bus-powered modeling microphone," capable of running entirely off a Mac's USB-C port.

Antelope Edge Go

Using bundled software and integrated chips, the microphone can simulate both vintage microphones and studio effects processors, Antelope said. Some examples include mic brands like Tokyo, Berlin, and Vienna, and processors such as limiters, compressors, and expanders. The device has its own audio interface with A/D conversion and 192-kilohertz, 24-bit resolution.

With a mic model selected, people can adjust the pickup pattern to cardioid, omnidirectional, or any other style. Without emulation Antelope promises a "transparent, flat 20Hz-20kHz large-diaphragm sound."

Among preset effects are "Reel to Reel," "Telephone Effect," "Fan Noise Reduction" and more. The mic's chips allow it to offload effects processing from a Mac's CPU.

Antelope is selling the Edge Go for $1,595. It comes bundled with a shock mount, a metal mesh pop filter, an adjustable desktop mic stand, and a USB-C to USB-A cable if needed. A headphone jack on the mic allows for direct monitoring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BUS-POWERED
    Fully powered by your computer’s USB port, the Edge Go does not require 48V phantom power to function. Forget about preamps, mixers, and power supplies – just plug-in and start recording.

Which means it's an over priced POS.

For $1695 I get a war chest of power and professional studio sound here:

And if I'm recording professionally I pick up an actual Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB.

I pay more and I get the features of a full studio for a grand cost of $2800.

I've got the entire Band or Jazz Ensemble mic'd up and live.

But by all means buy a Podcast mic for $1595.

caladanianchasm
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    It looks like a great little desktop bus-powered USB mic, but they have the decimal on the price in the wrong place, Move it over to the left one digit -- so that it's competitive with the Yeti -- and we'll talk.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    Musician lovers 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    newvideoaznewvideoaz Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    Call me weird, but as a 30 year media professional who has owned probably 50 mics over my career - from Neumann to AKG to Shure and beyond, here’s what I’d NEVER do— 
    presume to comment on the quality, utility, or value of a device until I had actually tested it for myself.

Yeah, it might be all hype and not worth squat. And that wouldn’t shock me. 

OTOH, maybe it’s cracked some code for the  actual digital modeling of the sounds or pickup characteristics of why many of us had a closet full of mics in the first place. This condenser works well on throaty female voices. This one better on clear sopranos. This other one has a great bite used on an alto sax with medium compression. And this dynamic kills on a close mixed kick drum with a nasty SPL.

The point is that any microphones actual utility only gets revealed via actual use. And right now, this thing has none. So arguing about how good or lame it might be is kinda stupid, IMO. 

My 2 cents. 
    SpamSandwichsphericcrowley
  • Reply 5 of 7
    joeljrichardsjoeljrichards Posts: 23unconfirmed, member
    As a professional voice actor/narrator I could see this making a lot of sense and the cost of my microphone plus apogee duet is about this price. Of course, going this route means a single point of failure so ideally I'd buy two (gulp!) and I'm way too invested in my current setup to do that. It isn't a solution for everyone but I could see some great (albeit niche) use cases.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I dunno. I never heard of Antelope Audio before, but based on the mix of amateur and pro reviews of their other audio equipment I have no reason to doubt their claims yet.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Antelope+audio+mic+review+edge+go
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    BUS-POWERED
    Fully powered by your computer’s USB port, the Edge Go does not require 48V phantom power to function. Forget about preamps, mixers, and power supplies – just plug-in and start recording.

Which means it's an over priced POS.

For $1695 I get a war chest of power and professional studio sound here:

And if I'm recording professionally I pick up an actual Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB.

I pay more and I get the features of a full studio for a grand cost of $2800.

I've got the entire Band or Jazz Ensemble mic'd up and live.

But by all means buy a Podcast mic for $1595.
    So you’ve tested this thing then? 

Because unless you’ve actually compared it to the bottle rocket, you don’t know shit about this mic. 

Don’t get me wrong: I’m skeptical of this product, but your immediate lunge at comparing it to a completely different product setup (8-channel interface WTF?) without even showing any knowledge about the quality of those mic pres (8 for $2800?) vs. the pre in this thing doesn’t necessarily convey that you know what you’re talking about.