President Trump insists he was saving time by calling Cook 'Tim Apple'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    To boil it down...
    If you like President Trump, this was the greatest thing ever!
    If you don't like President Trump, he's the worst thing to walk on the Earth, and this is evidence.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
    SpamSandwichunbeliever2
  • Reply 62 of 85
    It's an utterly unimportant story compared to all the other gross abuses he commits.
    It's interesting only in the fact that he has to lie and change his story about this repeatedly because he can never, ever, admit to a mistake.

In the end, instead of being a forgotten gaffe it's more evidence that nothing Trump says can ever be trusted.
    AI_liasrobin huber
  • Reply 63 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It's the second time he has done such a thing.    My theory?   Autistics tend to see things more than people and Trump is autistic, just like Barron.   So to Trump, Tim and Apple are the same.  No distinction.

And, by that, I am not trying to be critical of Trump -- some of the world's most brilliant people have been autistic (or more correctly, Aspergians) - including the like of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein and(very likely) our own Steve Jobs.

Maybe not -- but Asperger's fits with Trump and this is just one more example.
    Or the chemicals in the 12 cans of Diet Coke he drinks daily are destroying his brain. 
  • Reply 64 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bsimpsen said:
    jbdragon said:
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    If Trump admitted to the slip ups (as Obama did in the Snopes reference you cited), they would not be news.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-he-did-say-tim-cook-slams-tim-apple-reports-as-fake-news-2019-3

It's his mendacity that makes little slip ups into news.
    Things people like to talk about aren’t the same as “news”.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    knowitall said:
    Who cares, whats the harm?
    It's not the slip of the tongue.
    It's the multiple fabrications, stories, explanations, and simple lies he's spouted.
    If Trump had just said "I was tired and screwed up his name" it would have been over before it started. But he has had a bunch of different, mutually conflicting, explanations of what happened. That implies an ego that can't acknowledge mistakes. That's a dangerous personality to have in a position of power.
    I got news for you: Every national leader has a huge ego. Shrinking violets don’t pursue positions of great power and visibility.
    I got news for you. GOOD leaders have a sense of humor, and can laugh at themselves when they make trivial mistakes like that. Obama did. W and HW did. Reagan did. Trump does not. To quote David Ogden Steirs, who ended up on Nixon's enemies list for his membership in a satiric comedy troupe: "Never trust anyone who has no sense of humor."
    GeorgeBMacAI_liasminicoffee
  • Reply 66 of 85
    Hmmm, let me try. Ahemmm... "Donald Crook". Hey, it works!
    MplsPGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 67 of 85
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 92member
    Tapple is shorter
  • Reply 68 of 85
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    I save time by referring to 'Donald Demented.'
    minicoffee
  • Reply 69 of 85
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    I got news for you. GOOD leaders have a sense of humor, and can laugh at themselves when they make trivial mistakes like that. Obama did. W and HW did. Reagan did. Trump does not. To quote David Ogden Steirs, who ended up on Nixon's enemies list for his membership in a satiric comedy troupe: "Never trust anyone who has no sense of humor."
    In James Comey's book, A Higher Loyalty. a quote about a private meeting with Donald: "I don't recall seeing him laugh, ever. Not during small talk before meetings. Not in a conversation. Not even here, during an ostensibly relaxed dinner. I wondered if others had noticed it or if in thousands of hours of video coverage, he had ever laughed."
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 70 of 85
    What an utterly POS, useless, pointless story (and commentary).

Like we don’t have some really serious issues around us, Trumpist or otherwise.
  • Reply 71 of 85
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    and people want to make a thing of "tim apple"??

pathetic

He did the exact same to Marilyn Hewson, the CEO of Lockheed. He called her "Marilyn lock-HEED" as if she was French.

I agree the media has overplayed this, but rather than laugh it off as a gaffe like a normal person (we've all done something similar in mangling/forgetting/confusing people's last names), he insists on lying about it as though videotape doesn't exist.

So far he's told RNC donors that he did say "Tim Cook, Apple" but he said the "Cook" part very softly (no explanation why) so people didn't hear it. The video and audio from the meeting flatly contradicts this. Now he's saying that he was just "saving words" as though they were a finite resource (insert your own joke here, I'm too tired). Why this compulsion to lie about such a minor thing, blowing up the story ever more? It's very odd.
    Soliunbeliever2
  • Reply 72 of 85
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,703member
    cgWerks said:
    bsimpsen said:
    If Trump admitted to the slip ups (as Obama did in the Snopes reference you cited), they would not be news.
    Obama usually didn't have to... as I mentioned above, the MSM typically cleaned up his goofs so the general public never made an issue of them in the first place.

Also, while I agree about Trump's personality and sometimes behavior, the press made a big deal of this before Trump responded with his attempt at defending himself.
    What’s this? Facts? Egad. You should know better than to feed facts to a mob. Once the mentality is in motion, there is no reasoning. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 73 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    DAalseth said:
    If Trump had just said "I was tired and screwed up his name" it would have been over before it started.
    So, what was happening in the day or so since the statement was made until his attempted explanations?
    Didn't seem over before it started.

bsimpsen said:
    In the Obama slip up you cited, he was also called out before he offered his mea culpa.
    That wasn't me... but Obama slipped up regularly. And, I don't recall him saying much about any of them. He didn't have to, as most people didn't even know about them.

We’ve had terrible presidents who were good at putting on a face and speaking well and we’ve had great presidents who had poor body language and didn’t always turn Shakespeare green with envy during their speeches. I’ll take the latter every time. 
    Same here. As much as I enjoy eloquent speech and writing, it can be used to cover a lot of problems, especially if the person is quick-witted. I've listened to debates where the person who made next to no good points won with the crowd by being clever and quick-witted.

MplsP said:
    Mr. Drumph is just continuing the narcissist's folly - he's never wrong, and even when faced with incontrovertible evidence he'll come up with an even more unbelievable story to explain it.
    orange man bad, heh

dasanman69 said:
    Or the chemicals in the 12 cans of Diet Coke he drinks daily are destroying his brain. 
    Probably the first truly useful comment here. :)

chasm said:
    Why this compulsion to lie about such a minor thing, blowing up the story ever more? It's very odd.
    Yeah, I don't get it either... maybe to actually make it blow up in the media? The more he whips up the MSM into a hysteria, I'm guessing the more sick the average person is probably getting of it all. Or, maybe it's just like the pre-election stuff about the more in the media for free, the better. Or, it's just a weird personality disorder. Who knows.

But, I think what I find most interesting is that one moment, he's an evil genius about to take over the world, while the next, he's a bumbling idiot. Maybe the confusion is working on his critics.

9secondkox2 said:
    What’s this? Facts? Egad. You should know better than to feed facts to a mob. Once the mentality is in motion, there is no reasoning. 
    Yeah, I keep trying. Maybe I'm insane too. :)
  • Reply 74 of 85
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    What a tortured soul! Make that souls.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 75 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    knowitall said:
    Who cares, whats the harm?
    It's not the slip of the tongue.
    It's the multiple fabrications, stories, explanations, and simple lies he's spouted.
    If Trump had just said "I was tired and screwed up his name" it would have been over before it started. But he has had a bunch of different, mutually conflicting, explanations of what happened. That implies an ego that can't acknowledge mistakes. That's a dangerous personality to have in a position of power.
    I got news for you: Every national leader has a huge ego. Shrinking violets don’t pursue positions of great power and visibility.
    Our opinions differ greatly on what is a “good leader”. That’s OK, but you’ll never convince me that the prior President was anything less than a “useful idiot” for the Democratic establishment.
  • Reply 76 of 85
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Dispiriting how this story provokes more forum activity than truly relevant stuff. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 77 of 85
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I value and admire Tim's leadership at Apple and Trump's accomplishments as President.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 78 of 85
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    jbdragon said:
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    Why are you adding reason to this discussion? Just repeat "Orange man bad"
    CarnagecgWerks
  • Reply 79 of 85
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    It's worrying that your president is so furious at people poking fun at him that he feels the need to make up two different lies a week later to explain why he misspoke. 

I don't think anyone who has time to rant on Twitter at 3am needs to lose a few words when thanking Tim Cook to save time.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 80 of 85
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    rwx9901 said:
    Good grief who the hell cares.
    If Trump is showing signs of dementia, given his age, it would not be a surprise. While Trump has displayed a great deal of emotional immaturity and rather less than robust grasp of his mother tongue, if I may just play devil’s advocate, it was probably just him saying “Tim (at /of) Apple”.