iPad, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro: How to choose the best iPad for your needs and budget...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    completely underwhelming,but that's Apple nowadays. The mini could have been completely reimagined and made smaller, but Apple is scared it will tank sales of the larger (more expensive) ipads. Apple is now all about compromising for profit. 
    Lol. Any smaller and it’s an iPod Touch. 
    GeorgeBMacchia
  • Reply 22 of 28
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    cjcoops said:
    kevin kee said:
    This should make those people who wanted iPad Mini for ages happier, and if not, then well, Apple can't make everyone happy, can they?

Not really...

I have had the iPad Mini now for a few years. Very happy with it, and there is no point whatsoever in changing it for this newer version (or changing my wife's older iPad Mini version).
    The present iPad mini needs no performance increase - I happily play any and all media on my Mini with Nplasyer (or VLC), has no problem with HEVC/x265 etc, so what is gained by changing the processor without ALSO changing and updating what really needs to be updated...

Could have kept the present TouchID iPad mini as is with a price cut, and then introduce a worthwhile updated Mini with FaceID, minimal bezels and thus noticeably larger screen size (especially in landscape letterboxed movie watching etc), with usb-c and the latest Pencil support to match the other latest iPad models.

If there had been a new iPad Mini 'Pro' (i.e. with FaceID and so on) then I'd have been happy to upgrade. 
    A lot of people use the mini in vehicles. The size is just right for that use. Having a fingerprint sensor vs Face ID vs a fingerprint sensor is a plus as getting to the right location for Face ID can be awkward when the iPad is mounted on the dashboard. As for the processor upgrade, I have the original 32 bit iPad mini so this works great for me.

Lots if people are harping on Apple doing this just to make people upgrade but they have it reversed. Unlike most other tablets, Apple continues to provide operating system upgrades so you don’t have to upgrade for a long time. 
  • Reply 23 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    daven said:
    cjcoops said:
    kevin kee said:
    This should make those people who wanted iPad Mini for ages happier, and if not, then well, Apple can't make everyone happy, can they?

Not really...

I have had the iPad Mini now for a few years. Very happy with it, and there is no point whatsoever in changing it for this newer version (or changing my wife's older iPad Mini version).
    The present iPad mini needs no performance increase - I happily play any and all media on my Mini with Nplasyer (or VLC), has no problem with HEVC/x265 etc, so what is gained by changing the processor without ALSO changing and updating what really needs to be updated...

Could have kept the present TouchID iPad mini as is with a price cut, and then introduce a worthwhile updated Mini with FaceID, minimal bezels and thus noticeably larger screen size (especially in landscape letterboxed movie watching etc), with usb-c and the latest Pencil support to match the other latest iPad models.

If there had been a new iPad Mini 'Pro' (i.e. with FaceID and so on) then I'd have been happy to upgrade. 
    A lot of people use the mini in vehicles. The size is just right for that use. Having a fingerprint sensor vs Face ID vs a fingerprint sensor is a plus as getting to the right location for Face ID can be awkward when the iPad is mounted on the dashboard. As for the processor upgrade, I have the original 32 bit iPad mini so this works great for me.

Lots if people are harping on Apple doing this just to make people upgrade but they have it reversed. Unlike most other tablets, Apple continues to provide operating system upgrades so you don’t have to upgrade for a long time. 
    I would love to see a car manufacturer throw out their junk entertainment systems and just install an iPad Mini attached to a decent speaker system.
    daven
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Any idea how well the higher end models perform in bright sunlight vs. 2017 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular 256GB - Space Gray
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Just got back from the Apple store and got a 10.5” iPad Pro in Space Gray, 64GB, 4GB RAM, A10X, 120 mhz refresh rate, quad speakers, upgrade color pallet for $500 taken the advantage of Apple matching competitor’s price!
    edited March 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 28
    kevin kee said:

The line up is fine. There are 4 different options now, and options are always good as opposed to 1 model to fit them all. Although I don't see the point of having both iPad and iPad Air (they both can be merged into one category). Probably Apple will do that in the future, and that will be having 3 options only: Mini for those who love small size and on budget, Air for those who love lightness and big screen, and then Pro for those who want the power and screens size, don't mind the physical size and the weight.
    kevin kee said:

Mini for those who love small size and on budget...
    Many Mini owners can buy a $5 million dollar home and pay for it in cash!
  • Reply 27 of 28
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Just got back from the Apple store and got a 10.5” iPad Pro in Space Gray, 64GB, 4GB RAM, A10X, 120 mhz refresh rate, quad speakers, upgrade color pallet for $500 taken the advantage of Apple matching competitor’s price!
    Details?  Which product did they match?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    JS1979JS1979 Posts: 1member
    I am hoping that someone here can give me some advice. I have an IPad Pro 12.9" and love it. However, it is too large and heavy for reading. I am wanting to purchase another iPad or IPad mini primarily for reading. I need it to be lightweight and comfortable to hold, and large enough to read easily. Which would be best for this? The new iPad Mini, the older Mini, the iPad, or the iPad Air? I don't want it to be out of date too soon, really slow, and unsupported. (I have an older iPad from 2012 that fits that description and I'd like whatever I buy to work well for several years.) I don't know much, if anything about the technological aspects of iPads, so that is what I'm asking-which one fits my reading needs? I'm not overly concerned about the price but don't want to spend more than necessary for reading. Will the older Mini or iPad be just fine? I had my last iPad for 6 years so I tend to keep things a while-it still works well, but is slow and only 16Gb so it is full and a little heavy for reading. I have an 8 inch Kindle but have far more iBooks than Kindle books. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!