Netflix will not offer programming on Apple TV service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    lkrupp said:
    Some are assuming this means the Netflix app will go away. I think not. You can subscribe to Netflix through the Amazon Prime app and I think that’s what Netflix is talking about. It will not be available through the Apple TV app but Netflix’s own app will remain on the tvOS platform.
    I would agree with you. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    I would like it if Netflix content showed up in the TV app. I find it very convenient to just click the TV button on the Siri Remote and see most of what I’ve been watching lately. It isn’t uncommon for me to see a show there that I had forgotten I had been watching and then continue. It’s harder with the Netflix app.

Not to mention it annoys me that I have to select “Who’s watching?” every single time I open the app when there’s only one choice, me.
    Yes, especially as the Netflix app gets progressively worse. Such as:

- slow to load
    - forces you to select your profile *when there’s only one!*
    - plays annoying videos every time you stop the selection focus

...etc. It’s like they aren’t software people.

(All that said, it’s still much better than YouTube and Amazon, which are clearly ports of generic console-based app, and don’t even honor the Play button...pffft.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    ElCapitan said:
    Apple is on a path to depleting their own ecosystem of diversity and selection.

Why is anyone surprised that other companies don't want to pay to be in the space where Apple is a direct competitor? There used to be a time when Apple as a matter of policy never competed with their content providers or software developers on their platform. But not any more. – Obviously Timmy has too much time and money on his hand. 
    You’re high. iTunes? iWork? MacWrite? MacPaint? Claris?

But nah, can’t let facts get in the way of a haters narrative. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    buggy editor dupe
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 25 of 30
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    shrave10 said:
    In that case, I guess I will have to drop Netflix when Apple TV streaming package is released.
    I dropped Netflix streaming this month after realizing I haven't watched anything there that wasn't available elsewhere in a LONG time. I'm starting to think that the iTunes Store strategy of buying TV per season is more cost-effective for my family. I watch an hour or two of TV a week. My partner watches less. Our child isn't even a year old, so she does't watch anything yet. For our very occasional TV viewing, Netflix is overkill.

I've been much happier with Hulu, great for watching SNL at a reasonable hour the next day (and getting the benefit of seeing if the episode was well-received). Not to say the Hulu subscription is off the chopping block...but I haven't dropped that axe yet.

We are an Apple Music home, hopefully a bundle including music & video will be available at a reasonable price.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    I don't think this is a huge deal. Netflix wants to keep people on Netflix. Go use their app. Signing up though Apple also costs them 30% of the fee for a year before it drops to 15%. Much better to just have people sign up for service directly a Netflix, same as Amazon. I understand and it's a huge about of lost money otherwise.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 30
    mike1 said:
    ElCapitan said:

Why is anyone surprised that other companies don't want to pay to be in the space where Apple is a direct competitor? There used to be a time when Apple as a matter of policy never competed with their content providers or software developers on their platform. But not any more. – Obviously Timmy has too much time and money on his hand. 
    Please stop the history rewrite. From the start of the App Store Apple competed with their content providers and software developers.

Apple provided every developer the opportunity to do better and/or different than Apple. Apple also provided and still provides every developer the opportunity to develop free native apps, native apps that cost whatever the developer wanted/wants to charge and/or Web-based apps. 

Every upgrade to the Netflix app for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV is still made available to Apple’s customers as long as the developer’s license fee is paid. Netflix claims its App Store earnings weren’t that great. I challenge Netflix to remove its app from the App Store to prove it can truly go its own way without Apple’s App Store. 
    He never said they wouldn't have an app. There's a difference between not having an app and offering in-app subscriptions. I am sure, anybody who wants to subscribe to Netflix can figure out how without using the app store. That is what Netflix does not want to provide.
    It's funny you say that because there's a pretty long thread about Spotify from a few days ago where a bunch of posts are about how people can't figure out they can sign up for Spotify Premium outside of the app.

I'm also unsure where people in this thread got the idea there wouldn't be a Netflix app. This article says Netflix won't "offer existing [Netflix] content to customers through an Apple branded video streaming service", not sure how that gets translated into no TV app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Wow, it is amazing that most posters here completely missed the point of the article.  Netflix is stating that they will not be part of an Apple "video hub" - ability to purchase to and manage other subscriptions - IF that is even what Apple announces.  Nor that they would license content to Apple (which I don't think anyone thought would happen).  Not that Netflix is going to remove themselves from the Apple app ecosystem.

This is no surprise - Netflix have never worked with the TV App, and just recently stopped new subscriptions from going through the App Store.  Again - no surprise, as a company like Netflix (same as Amazon did w.r.t. books back in the day) does not need Apple to gain new subscribers.  Netflix is able to promote and manage all that themselves.  Many smaller content providers however will not, and thus the App Store and TV App have value.

When Netflix said that Apple wasn't a big revenue component - I 100% believe that they meant subscriptions through the App Store - not that Netflix wasn't used much by Apple device users (over a billion active devices, in the premium market, so that seems highly unlikely).  I have all manner of Apple devices, but still signed up directly to Netflix through the web.

The articles are making it seem like Netflix has started to distance itself from Apple due to the competing service - and no doubt that will create more business tension - but Netflix (outside of App Store subscriptions) hasn't been buddies with Apple.  Netflix was never going to be in the TV App, regardless if Apple developed a service.  They want all content access to be in their own app.  This is power for them, and they want to keep it.  It is that simple.

I would say it was the other way around - that Apple went down the path of original content because they found they didn't have any influence with content services to be able to develop the PLATFORM features like TV App (which has value to Apple device owners).  Many media articles say that you have to have "a seat at the (content) table" to have a better chance at deals / partnerships.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There are a million ways to get Netflix. And it is an entertainment behemoth. The loss will be Apple’s not the other way around. 

I seriously doubt that any video service from Apple will not offer it. It would be a mistake not just for the loss of an important entertainment option, but for the negative signals it sends to others. 
    Unless I’m completely misreading this story, it’s just saying Netflix shows won’t be available through Apple’s new streaming service. It will continue to be available to be watched on an Apple TV using the Netflix app, although Netflix added that extra layer of complication so a customer must subscribe and pay for additional content through a web browser now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 30
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    mike1 said:
    ElCapitan said:

Please stop the history rewrite. From the start of the App Store Apple competed with their content providers and software developers.

Apple provided every developer the opportunity to do better and/or different than Apple. Apple also provided and still provides every developer the opportunity to develop free native apps, native apps that cost whatever the developer wanted/wants to charge and/or Web-based apps. 

Every upgrade to the Netflix app for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV is still made available to Apple’s customers as long as the developer’s license fee is paid. Netflix claims its App Store earnings weren’t that great. I challenge Netflix to remove its app from the App Store to prove it can truly go its own way without Apple’s App Store. 
    He never said they wouldn't have an app. There's a difference between not having an app and offering in-app subscriptions. I am sure, anybody who wants to subscribe to Netflix can figure out how without using the app store. That is what Netflix does not want to provide.
    It's funny you say that because there's a pretty long thread about Spotify from a few days ago where a bunch of posts are about how people can't figure out they can sign up for Spotify Premium outside of the app.

I'm also unsure where people in this thread got the idea there wouldn't be a Netflix app. This article says Netflix won't "offer existing [Netflix] content to customers through an Apple branded video streaming service", not sure how that gets translated into no TV app.
    I agree... and was also one that gave the link and instructions to sign up for Spotify outside of the App store. Then in that some posters shifted too.. signing up for services outside of the App store is too inconvenient and confusing? Hahaha Wow.

Same with this article.. some people skim read or see the headline and get their super Apple fan shirts on and write nonsense.  If Apple has an actual streaming service why in the HELL would they allow it to be used through a competing service?  That is like signing up for Hulu and being upset that they aren't showing Netflix original programming via the Hulu app?   Or maybe I am misunderstanding what exactly people are upset about?
    watto_cobra