Apple's new 2019 iMacs deliver twice the speed as previous model, Vega graphics option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't anything compelling me to upgrade from my 2015 iMac. Screen resolution is same. I want crisper, sharper. Screen size is same. I want 30+ inch. Fusion drive. Whatever. I don't do video editing so I don't need a better graphics card. i5 processor. Snoozefest. Two years of engineering effort and this is what they deliver?
    Try the iMac Pro and be prepared to open your wallet.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 94
    I am looking at the Alienware computer sitting next to my desk with a 6 core i9, two NV linked 2080 Ti GPUs and as much RAM and storage as I want to put into it that cost about the same as that $3349 iMac. Sure, it's not a Mac but if you are developing code or doing graphics work it will get the job done.
    gatorguyrobbyx
  • Reply 43 of 94
    Can the RAM be upgraded on these new iMacs by the user
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I am looking at the Alienware computer sitting next to my desk with a 6 core i9, two NV linked 2080 Ti GPUs and as much RAM and storage as I want to put into it that cost about the same as that $3349 iMac. Sure, it's not a Mac but if you are developing code or doing graphics work it will get the job done.
    Will it run Swift and Xcode?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 94
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    llsorens said:
    Can the RAM be upgraded on these new iMacs by the user
    This could indicate that it might be, because the cover was released the same way on previous iMacs. Certainly not definitive though.

edited March 2019 llsorensgregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 94
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Will it run Swift and Xcode?
    There's a Swift compiler for Win10 on Github, or perhaps a virtual machine setup would work too. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 47 of 94
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I read all these specs and prices -- and what runs through my mind is that I can get equivalent or better specs at far lower prices on a standard Windows machine.

But then I remember that the iMac comes with Apple's software and ecosystem --- which, while "free" to us is not free to Apple.  They charge us for it through their hardware -- which makes their hardware prices seem high.
    Drmikelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 94
    I think I will finally upgrade my late 2012 iMac. The 27" model with 8-core i9, 8GB RAM, and 1TB SSD + extended keyboard = $2,939 with the institutional discount but before AppleCare and tax. If it's confirmed that the RAM is user-upgradeable, then that config. will work, otherwise, I'll have to add more RAM to the BTO equation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 94
    gatorguy said:
    Well there 'ya go, another set of hardware worries answered. Folks are going to run out of things to complain about. 
    Haha, if that were only true. Ever seen that Apple troll fest called Macrumors? Perfect scenario: "Apple donated $1 million dollars towards disaster relief of a recent fire in the U.S" Macrumors members trashed Apple for not giving more. No doubt not a single one of those complainers donated one red cent. And yes, that's why I no longer visit Macrumors. 
    StrangeDaysstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 94
    davgreg said:
    So how many think we will see or hear something about the mythical Mac Pro teased for a long time now?

Not interested in iMacs- they are overpriced for a throwaway, glued shut all in one.
    Pretty sure WWDC this year will announce it. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 94
    I read all these specs and prices -- and what runs through my mind is that I can get equivalent or better specs at far lower prices on a standard Windows machine.

But then I remember that the iMac comes with Apple's software and ecosystem --- which, while "free" to us is not free to Apple.  They charge us for it through their hardware -- which makes their hardware prices seem high.
    I have a Windows PC I built about a year after I got my late 2012 iMac, and it cost about $1,600 (Corsair case, Corsair power supply, Intel motherboard, i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 3TB HDD). I was looking at upgrading the guts with an i7-9700K ($400), new motherboard ($180), new RAM (16GB for $125), cooling solution ($100), and reusing the SSD. That's over $800 before a new graphics card and a nice monitor on par with the 5K screen of the iMac. Presumably, the i9 BTO option in the new iMac is the 9900K which goes for $525. As you say, you can get same or better specs for less on the Windows side, but therein lies my issue. It's a Windows machine. I work on Win 10 Pro machines at my job, and I'm just not a fan. 
    SpamSandwichGeorgeBMacstompyHenryDJPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Only the MacBook left needing a bump now. Tomorrow maybe? Although hard to see what they could do that wouldn’t eat into the Air. 

And I say this with my Education discount soon to expire. I had an iPad mini 2 I sold a while back, a 2015 iMac 27" and early 2016 MacBook.
    In my opinion the MacBook needs to die out of the lineup. It's just one step away from being an iPad Pro with MacOS on it. Especially now that the new MacBook Air has been released there's not much of a place for the standard MacBook anymore. 
    entropys
  • Reply 53 of 94
    madanmadan Posts: 103member
    ElCapitan said:
    This is what an incremental update looks like!  :)

Hopefully Apple has learned a lesson or two, and will keep these incremental coming at regular, reasonably predictable intervals. Meanwhile, here is a lot to like for many existing and new users. 

No there isn't.  This iMac is a joke.  And this is coming from a huge Apple fan that has not one, but TWO 27" iMacs in his house.

The new model is practically identical in performance to the model that shipped TWO years ago.

I specced a machine because I was looking for a new computer and for 3000 dollar I could be saddled with a Core i5, 8 GB of RAM and a Vega 48 that trades with a 150 dollar RX 590. 

Only a blithering moron thinks that's good hardware for the money.

Jesus Christ what a let down.  What happened to the new 3800 series?  Why not move the Vega 64 or hell, if they're cheap, the 56 down to the iMac space and simply use the Vega 7 for the Pro?

No, instead we're stuck with this nonsense.  A fiercely overpriced toy machine for  a ridiculous price.  I have no idea what I'm going to do now.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Too big and noisy. I like my computers thin and light, especially since I arm-mount my iMac so it floats over my workspace.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 94
    HenryDJP said:
    Only the MacBook left needing a bump now. Tomorrow maybe? Although hard to see what they could do that wouldn’t eat into the Air. 

And I say this with my Education discount soon to expire. I had an iPad mini 2 I sold a while back, a 2015 iMac 27" and early 2016 MacBook.
    In my opinion the MacBook needs to die out of the lineup. It's just one step away from being an iPad Pro with MacOS on it. Especially now that the new MacBook Air has been released there's not much of a place for the standard MacBook anymore. 
    I like the form factor and lighter weight, would like the Touch ID and thunderbolt 3 and extra port too though. 

Do you think theyll kill the Macbook name in preference to the Air given its popularity? Again, it seems rather confusing along with the iPad naming scheme. Had hoped for Touch ID or even Face ID with the iMac too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 94
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

Does anyone still believe the value of a Mac is in specs? Speeds & feeds? My iMac is still a 2011, and I’ve never had to re-install it. That would be impossible on my Windows machines.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    These are stop gap models. The fact Vega VII with 16GB HBM2 is out and not in any of these configurations means they are saving it for the Mac Pro.

All of these models were determined pre-TB3 royalty free follow through by Intel.
    Agree and I think (correct me if I am wrong) these stopgap releases with no fanfare has happened in the past on several occasions.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    DAalseth said:
    Nice incremental updates. It would be fun if they do this every day this week as a build up to the event on the 25th.
    What do you reckon: macbook tomorrow, AirPods 2 and AirPower Thursday, iPod Friday?
    muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    DAalseth said:
    Nice incremental updates. It would be fun if they do this every day this week as a build up to the event on the 25th.
    What do you reckon: macbook tomorrow, AirPods 2 and AirPower Thursday, iPod Friday?
    I wonder if there will be a fanfare for the Mac Pro or will that slip out quietly?  Hopefully the former.
  • Reply 60 of 94

Does anyone still believe the value of a Mac is in specs? Speeds & feeds? My iMac is still a 2011, and I’ve never had to re-install it. That would be impossible on my Windows machines.

So, you do use windows machines??? Most likely for work, I would assume.