It's official, and broadcasting via airport too!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stoo:

<strong>

I have a 6400/G3 400 and can rip to MP3 at 6x+: huh? Must be the L2 cache?

Thanks for the review . Does anyone know what the delivery times are like in the UK?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A very good friend of mine popped into Selfridges at the Trafford Centre last Saturday (15 Feb) and picked up the SuperDrive version. Don't know how many they had though! He's going back this weekend for an AirPort Extreme Base Station :-)

It appears to be a CTO as well, which is a little strange... came with 60Gb HDD and AirPort Extreme Card already installed.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: lix ]</p>
  • Reply 42 of 69
    nice photos matsu...hope you are (finally) happy

[quote] So pretty..... Can someone lend me $700 so I can get one of those instead of an ibook? =P

*nudges thegelding*

- Xidius

<hr></blockquote>

hey...nudge powerdoc....he's the plastics doc...they make oodles of money....g
  • Reply 43 of 69
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I will need to connect to:

-home wireless, as soon as my brother installs the linksys.

-home wired cable

-2 libraries, both wireless and wired

-work wired (WTF? why can't we get airport? Actually, I think my boss is getting it for his own use, which means I can probably leech it if I'm close enough.

Does OSX do all this automagically?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes.

• Reply 44 of 69
    It also depends on the wireless network -- my uni requires that we log on to a VPN in order to get the web wirelessly. Unfortunately, they have yet to update their VPN security gateway to support OS 10.2.

It makes me sick to see PC-mongers toting their books around, surfing the web during, um, I mean before, lectures...for this reason alone I might consider getting Virtual PC (or maybe waiting 'til microsoft cleans up its code - praying they won't kill it).

Anyhow, yeah - X automatically detects any network connections, provided you have it selected (on) in network port configs.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I am so jealous of you Matsu.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Set the encoder to the lowest possible bitrate, that'll result in the fastest encode times. Encode a song from the CD, preferably the last track on the disc. That should tell you how fast your drive is for DAE...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Matsu, please try the above when you have time...For comparison, my DP 1 GHz gets nearly 50x encoding from WAV to 8 kbps MP3 from the HDD.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Will do, but right now connecting this mac to the internet and posting here is turning into a bear of a task. The first snaggle already.

After calling my cable company to help me release the IP from my PC, I connected the mac and it detected the Ip withou a problem. But Once I got online I found that I'm still banned in these forums under IE 5.2, as I am under netscape 7.0 and intermittently under IE (on the PC)

Eugene, if you could pass this on to the relevant authorities and get me completely unbanned while I find something nice to rip, hopefully I'll be able to post back without any problems ASAP.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote] It also depends on the wireless network -- my uni requires that we log on to a VPN in order to get the web wirelessly. Unfortunately, they have yet to update their VPN security gateway to support OS 10.2.

<hr></blockquote>

you know which VPN they're using? i might be able to get you the VPN software you need.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Another mod, help me please.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Eugene, I got your results.

encoded 8 bit stereo mixed, songs not playing while importing.

returned 24-25.5X

On a side note, there doesn't seem to be much speed difference between 224VBR and 320kbps. That second CD I ripped was an old sinatra at 320Kbps VBR (highest) and the speed was about the same as 224 VBR.

Does this help? Would a faster drive make for faster encoding say in the 128-192 range? I wonder what speeds I could get out of a 52X firewire unit?

Somebody please fully restore my account, I want to post from my beautiful new baby and not this Gateway.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>

you know which VPN they're using? i might be able to get you the VPN software you need.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My brother works for an ISP and has Cisco site access, and he sent me 3.7.2 of the VPN client (my uni uses the Cisco VPN) I installed this on my PB and went out to try it, but it was to no avail -- couldn't make a TCP connection (everything else preceding that was successful as far as connecting went). So I'm guessing it may be up to them to update their end of the setup. Our IT guys are so arrogantly unresponsive...anything you have (if a different version of the soft., etc.) would be great.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member

<strong>

Does this help? Would a faster drive make for faster encoding say in the 128-192 range? I wonder what speeds I could get out of a 52X firewire unit?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately no...with reasonable settings, it looks like you're limited by your CPU instead of the drive since the drive is capable of 24x reads as advertised...
  • Reply 53 of 69
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member

<strong>Another mod, help me please.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check your PMs.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Well, I was encoding a little higher than that at 224 and 320 when I gave my first numbers. So maybe I'll se a point or two increase, but no biggie, I'll take the higher bit rate, 192-224VBR is probably the sweet spot for ripping most CD's.

Eugene,

You don't suppose someone could do anything about fully liberating my account? I'm posting this from the Gateway with a perfectly good miniPB just sitting there. Well not just sitting there, it's gonna rip a couple more discs in a sec.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I'm sure they'll read one of the five posts Matsu.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Ya think? Sorry guys. Interestingly, I'm developing a disdain for all other machines: damn RDF, it's one thing to rip apart keynotes from afar, but it's quite another with such a strong emitter sitting right next to me.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    OF COURSE! The more the merrier!
  • Reply 58 of 69
    I hope that you're going to add RAM to that iBook if you plan to use Mac OS X. I would suggest that you max it out, if you are able to do so.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Bayyyyyy-beeee!

Nice pics!

Lemon Bon Bon :cool:

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 69
    I'm now posting live fom the PB12. Thanks Amorph.