Apple debuts Apple TV+ and Apple TV Channels for cord-cutters, integrated into TV app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    kruegdude said:
    If they don’t offer separate profiles for who’s watching on the Apple TV then kids are in for a few surprises when it offers what to watch next based on dads viewing patterns. 
    That’s what I was waiting for, someone to summon Siri and say “Hey it’s Tim” and get a switch to another profile. Up Next is kinda irritating to share with other people. Netflix figured this out. Crossing my fingers that multiple Apple IDs is in the cards this fall for the TV app and/or tvOS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Since all this stuff is coming in the fall why did Apple host an event for it in March?
  • Reply 23 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Since all this stuff is coming in the fall why did Apple host an event for it in March?
     News+ launches today. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Very underwhelming. Netflix/HBO are laughing at the content Apple will provide. 
  • Reply 25 of 50
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    What Apple is attempting to do with the Apple TV Channels, and also Apple Arcade and Apple News+ is replicate the success they have had with Apple Music.  The goal is to have as much news and entertainment as possible pass through Apple distribution channels so that they can collect their cut. Apple wants to stick a financial intravenous needle into as many consumers as possible so that they have a steady and relatively reliable flow of revenue being sucked out of as many bank accounts as possible every month.

What does Apple TV Channels offer the end-user that they don't already have? I'm not sure yet either, but I really don't think I need or want it. I am not a fan of the whole monthly subscription model for music, software, movies, television, games, etc. Considering how many companies have adopted the subscription model, it must be a "win" for them, but as an end-user and consumer, I have found that my finances fair much better with as few monthly subscriptions as possible. 
    entropysmicrobe
  • Reply 26 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,883member
    jume said:
    I am so confused what ATV really is  :/
    So is Apple.
    Prove it. Something other than routine hater diatribe, please. Details.
    edited March 2019 bakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,883member
    markiezyy said:
    Very underwhelming. Netflix/HBO are laughing at the content Apple will provide. 
    Are you serious? Netflix has so much garbage it's not even funny. And while HBO has some big hits, if you peruse their back catalog, you'll find a loooot of crap. The hits are the exception, not the norm.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    God, that was the worst event ever. Oprah. Ugh.

I have no idea what this TV thing actually is. All I can see is that they are going to have their own shows this Fall, all of which I have zero interest in.

entropys80s_Apple_Guyanantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Appleish said:
    God, that was the worst event ever. Oprah. Ugh.

I have no idea what this TV thing actually is. All I can see is that they are going to have their own shows this Fall, all of which I have zero interest in.

Inclined to agree on all accounts.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    That was one of the most boring presentations -- hard to believe it was an Apple presentation, other than the breathless narratives and over-the-top nursery rhyme cadence of their speech. I tried getting through the whole thing, but ended up bailing sometime around Dinesh's awkward presentation. The audience goes nuts for Big Bird and Sesame Street? WTF...
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 31 of 50
    What's with all the random celebrities scattered across the audience? What role do/did they perform?!

If they're just there as eye-candy, that's rather un-Appleish.
    And why does that matter to you? People are there for a reason. Not everything needs to have an explanation. Having celebs in the audience is "Un-Appleish"? SMH. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 50
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    So they make it easy to find something you want to watch. But even easier to find something if you don’t k ow what to watch. 
    I’d say if you don’t know what to watch maybe this would be a good moment to turn off the TV and - you know - read a book, or go out ;)
  • Reply 33 of 50
    I will be happy to see actual movies from known actors than Netflix's originals. So sick of Netflix originals being boring and useless to watch. I'm also annoyed how Netflix keeps upping the monthly subscription. Hopefully after today AppleTV+ will light a fire under Netflix's rear end. If Apple's pricing is on par with Netflix then it's goodbye Netflix for me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 50
    So they make it easy to find something you want to watch. But even easier to find something if you don’t k ow what to watch. 
    I’d say if you don’t know what to watch maybe this would be a good moment to turn off the TV and - you know - read a book, or go out ;)
    "read a book, or go out"

And what if you don't know a good to read or a place to go? 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50

Speednet said:
    That was one of the most boring presentations -- hard to believe it was an Apple presentation, other than the breathless narratives and over-the-top nursery rhyme cadence of their speech. I tried getting through the whole thing, but ended up bailing sometime around Dinesh's awkward presentation. The audience goes nuts for Big Bird and Sesame Street? WTF...
    Thanks! Did Macrumors kick you out for trolling so you decided to come here? 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I somehow seriously doubt this is what Steve Jobs meant when he said he cracked TV. 
    avon b7macplusplushmurchison80s_Apple_Guyanantksundaram
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Most people who purchase the TV streaming channels are single adult males! Apple programming is directed at the family, meaning children programming even the children do not want to watch. There will be no adult content, no violence, no hard hitting drama! It going be lots of family comedies, family type shows like Crosby show, documentaries, nature and hiking shows! Errrrrrr!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 38 of 50
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Time between Steve Jobs' famous spit-and-duct-tape dog-and-pony show to introduce the original iPhone and its actual release: just shy of six months.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    AppleZulu said:
    Time between Steve Jobs' famous spit-and-duct-tape dog-and-pony show to introduce the original iPhone and its actual release: just shy of six months.
    Really, you’re comparing the introduction of one of the most revolutionary consumer devices that changed everything to this...whatever-the-heck-this-was?

Can I have some of what you’re smoking?
  • Reply 40 of 50
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Welcome to the party, "PPALe". -- Get it?