'Apple TV HD' is the new name for 4th-generation 1080p Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    entropys said:
    Still at $149? What a joke. How can anyone recommend this to anyone else?
    Old hardware rebranded. It’s insulting. Tim Cook talks the talk, but I suspect he doesn’t think much of Apple users.

One would hope the 4K version, which obviously won’t be getting an upgrade or better pricing either in the near future, comes with some serious investment in controllers to go with the Apple Arcade subscription.

Yup.  People won't even buy $99 4K Blu-ray players to go along with their new shiny premium UHD TV.   A 1080 Apple TV for 149.99 looks silly next to a Roku $39.99 4K HDR streamer. 

Then buy the Roku and stop complaining.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

If you hate Apple, rejoice in the fact that Apple makes products that don't satisfy you or that might limit Apple's sales. I buy some non-Apple products when Apple doesn't make what I want. I'm not mad at anybody. Be happy.
    That would be nice, wouldn't it? Instead these angry men feel the compulsion to jump onto every story and pound their little keyboards with fury, eager to tell the world how mad they are. It's comical. 
    They will go to their death beds bitter and angry, muttering about Apple not making a proper Mac Pro tower...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    jkichline said:
    entropys said:
    Old hardware rebranded. It’s insulting. Tim Cook talks the talk, but I suspect he doesn’t think much of Apple users.

One would hope the 4K version, which obviously won’t be getting an upgrade or better pricing either in the near future, comes with some serious investment in controllers to go with the Apple Arcade subscription.

Not much joy in your life, what with needing the latest and greatest everything at half the cost, huh?

AppleTV is practically sold at cost now as it is. 
    Did you see evidence of that somewhere, or is that simply your guess? I'm not saying it's either one, just asking you since you already know. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 24 of 25
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,656member
    entropys said:

Yup.  People won't even buy $99 4K Blu-ray players to go along with their new shiny premium UHD TV.   A 1080 Apple TV for 149.99 looks silly next to a Roku $39.99 4K HDR streamer. 
    Not when I think about how poor the Roku interface and push-button remote is compared to tvOS and touch & swipe. Seriously, I wouldn't wish junk on anyone. Plus, if the person is invested in the Apple ecosytem with iTunes purchases, it's a no-brainer. Apple TV ftw.

hate on bro.
    I bought a cheap 1080p TV set for my very elderly mother (I think it was under $200 for a 46" set) that has Roku built in using the TV's remote control.  It works absolutely fine.  
    What does the average person stream?   Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and YouTube.   For that it works fine and not really any different than the Apple TV box as far as I can see.

The only problem is that once every few months, the TV doesn't recognize the WiFi connection and I have to not just power down, but unplug the TV and then plug it back in again and then it works again.  

I've tried the Apple TV remote in a retail environment and I really don't think it worked that well.  It frequently overshot where I wanted to go or didn't respond at all.   I think the problem with the Apple TV for Apple is that the low end Roku devices are very inexpensive and almost all sets today are "smart" sets that have streaming apps built in and while the Apple TV might be somewhat superior, it's not superior enough for people (aside from consumers for whom money is no object) to spend another $200 (for the 4K version).   I have a 7-year-old high-end Sony TV in which the "smart" features are useless because they haven't been updated.   But Verizon FIOS (for those who still have cable) has a Netflix channel that works just like their streaming app and most of the stations they carry have VOD on the service at no extra charge.   So while I've considered the Apple TV 4K, I really don't see what it's going to do for me that I can't already do today (I don't buy downloads).  And while my particular situation is anecdotal and doesn't apply to the market at large, the ubiquity of smart sets and less expensive streaming devices from other parties indicates to me that the Apple TV hardware is never going to be a big factor unless Apple's proprietary content is far more compelling than everyone else's, which is hard to believe.   
  • Reply 25 of 25
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    One word ...... Airplay. Can any of those $49 box effortlessly stream personal videos, pictures and music from an iPhone, iPad or Mac, wirelessly to a TV screen, through home WiFi? Not to mention any apps that supports Airplay?.    
    Are you serious?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/05/lg-tv-support-for-homekit-and-airplay-2-to-launch-mid-2019
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/208897/itunes-airplay-2-coming-to-samsungs-2018-and-2019-smart-televisions-u

You seriously think Apple is going to stop there?