Beats' completely wireless 'Powerbeats Pro' exposed in iOS 12.2 update

Posted:
in General Discussion
Buried in Monday's iOS 12.2 release are images and an animation of Beats' previously-rumored, unreleased AirPods equivalent, referred to as "Powerbeats Pro."

Powerbeats Pro

The product superficially resembles the Powerbeats3, including its signature earhooks. The Pro is completely wireless, however, unlike the Powerbeats 3, which has a cord connecting both earpieces.

Black and white versions should be available, and the headphones will ship with a clamshell charging case, different from the gum-dispenser style used by AirPods.

References to the Powerbeats Pro were discovered by Chance Miller and 9to5Mac.

Inclusion in iOS 12.2 could mean a release is around the corner. Last week, a report suggested that a fully wireless Powerbeats model would ship in April. It may include the H1 chip from Apple's second-generation AirPods, enabling power-efficient operation and new features like "Hey Siri" support.

While AirPods are more compact, Powerbeats are better equipped for fitness and sports thanks to their earhooks, which prevent buds from falling out, and a sweatproof design. AirPods aren't officially water-resistant, which risks electrical shorts or even low-level electrocution.
kiehtan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Everything about these look good.  That matte black is super nice.  I generally don't like Beats, but it would be hard for me to deny these are visually bellissimo imo.  Good job.

Unrelated aside: "...different from the gum-dispenser style used by AirPods."
    I've never heard the AirPod charging case described in this manner.  I thought it was universally reminiscent of a dental floss pack.  What gum dispenser looks like that?
    caladanianracerhomie3StrangeDaysdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I just hope they are much more reliable now. A recent purchase I made of a beats product had me going back thrice to an apple store to have them replaced — connection keeps dropping and battery was always short and unreliable. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Nice!

I’d love to own AirPods but they don’t stay in my ears!
    doozydozenminicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Seems like the perfect product for additional health sensor(s)...
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Everything about these look good.  That matte black is super nice.  I generally don't like Beats, but it would be hard for me to deny these are visually bellissimo imo.  Good job.

Unrelated aside: "...different from the gum-dispenser style used by AirPods."
    I've never heard the AirPod charging case described in this manner.  I thought it was universally reminiscent of a dental floss pack.  What gum dispenser looks like that?
    yeah, what is a gum-dispenser anyway? Seriously. I know what a pez dispenser is, and a gumball machine. Weird phrasing.
    1STnTENDERBITSdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

LordeHawk said:
    Seems like the perfect product for additional health sensor(s)...
    Unlikely, that doesn't jibe with the Beats brand. It's audio, not medical.
    Solidoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    🙌

LordeHawk said:
    Seems like the perfect product for additional health sensor(s)…
    I'd love for Apple to do that, but I agree with StrangeDays' reasoning.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Any indication that these will support “Hey Siri”? I’ve been wanting to buy EarPods but the regular apple buds never stay in my ears right, so I’m assuming ear pods will have the same shape/issue with staying in my ears as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    My wife loves her PowerBeats 3 as far as staying in her ears. The regular Apple earbuds design, including the Airpods, never stayed in her ear. Now the function of the PowerBeats were pretty crappy as long runs in the heat of summer wrecked 4 pair while under warranty. The sweat would short out the microphone/control unit, rendering them useless in a matter of weeks. These wireless Powerbeats might be the ultimate solution: fit she can use without the flaws of the cable to short out. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    Soli said:
    🙌

LordeHawk said:
    Seems like the perfect product for additional health sensor(s)…
    I'd love for Apple to do that, but I agree with StrangeDays' reasoning.
    Originally I also thought this.

There’s simply not enough room in the current AirPod design for sensors and extra battery.  Then there’s the snug fit required for some sensor technology.
    Perhaps Apple will release an Apple branded version, with these features.

I don’t agree with the argument, Beats is audio and not medical.  The Apple Watch and iPhone are medical devices in their own right, headphones are an accessory. Apple is writing the playbook, and adding sensors that contribute to the whole ecosystem only strengthen their market position.  Beats may not even stick around, at this point it’s a name only, the engineeeing is Apple.

Not to mention, Beats is something a heart does...
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    Waterproof?! I had them and had to return.  Sweat a bit in the gym and music or video or podcast paused or stopped, started again. Volume went up or down.  Videos paused or had the same issue.  They were not sweatproof.  My AirPods do better, but I only use them in a pinch.  Maybe they have been updated, but one of my most disappointing purchases ever. AirPods one of my most exceeding my expectations.  
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Like many others here I went through many pairs (6 in 8 months) before the Apple Store told me "Your workouts are too intense for these" and refunded me the price (my reply being then you shouldn't have had a sweaty LeBron being the endorser for these).

Other than the fact they useless for actual fitness folks quality-wise, they are great when they do work.

I'll wait with fingers crossed for reviews after 3-6 months on how they hold up (my Jabra Elites have been very good, reliable, great pairing... but the case is cheaply and a crappy design that is difficult to open and the sound quality is only mediocre... but they're the best overall to date... based on spending ~2000eur on about 2 dozen pairs)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kiehtankiehtan Posts: 38member
    if they have the H1 chip and a charging case, I’ll buy them the day they are released.

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    In the past, Beats were all about the bass. I'm not familiar with Powerbeats varieties, but I'm not a fan of bass-heavy sound, especially if the artist didn't put it there.

I'll be looking at review as I'd consider these for times where my AirPods aren't sufficient.