Apple Watch ECG app could arrive in Europe with watchOS 5.2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    viames said:
    I think that all Apple items are worth less out of the United States due to the often missing features for several years. For this reason the price should also reflect the lowest value. At the moment, Apple products out of the United States cost more and deserve to be beaten by Android e co.
    And just what are some of those features that are missing outside the US ???  I’m very interested because I’ve lived outside the US and used Apple products for many years. 
    What many people don’t realize when comparing the prices of Apple products between countries is that 1. prices shown in the US don’t include sales tax while prices given overseas include sales tax and 2. that sales tax (a.k.a VAT) in some countries is as high as 24%.  You need to factor these in when comparing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    fred1 said:
    spheric said:
    entropys said:
    fred1 said:
    I hope so! This will make me get the 4 instead if the 3.  It’s a strange world where they prevent us from using something just because it hasn’t been approved by the authorities. I remember when a simple disclaimer was enough.
    The technocrats running big nanny government say no. 

Bow low to your betters!
    Oh, do let us know how the unregulated health care market is going for you. 
    Uh, you do realize that there’s a difference between regulating and restricting access, right? What’s happening with the Apple Watch is like telling someone that he or she can take a prescription medicine while on US soil, but not in a foreign country. 
    Regulations here also mean that medical devices and pharmaceuticals need to be approved before they may be sold as such. 

Having a device sold as a diagnostic tool when in fact it has no such function is a potentially deadly hazard. 

But yes, it gets a little weird with devices bought abroad, I agree. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    spheric said:
    fred1 said:
    spheric said:
    entropys said:
    fred1 said:
    I hope so! This will make me get the 4 instead if the 3.  It’s a strange world where they prevent us from using something just because it hasn’t been approved by the authorities. I remember when a simple disclaimer was enough.
    The technocrats running big nanny government say no. 

Bow low to your betters!
    Oh, do let us know how the unregulated health care market is going for you. 
    Uh, you do realize that there’s a difference between regulating and restricting access, right? What’s happening with the Apple Watch is like telling someone that he or she can take a prescription medicine while on US soil, but not in a foreign country. 
    Regulations here also mean that medical devices and pharmaceuticals need to be approved before they may be sold as such. 

Having a device sold as a diagnostic tool when in fact it has no such function is a potentially deadly hazard. 

But yes, it gets a little weird with devices bought abroad, I agree. 
    My original point is that in the past (if I remember correctly), items were sold with disclaimers - basically “this thing may not work like it’s supposed to” - instead of not being sold in certain markets at all. Now all the litigation (for example, being burned by a hot cup of coffee) has forced companies into protecting people from themselves. Plus no one wants to market a product that has a label saying it may not work. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 24
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    fred1 said:
    My original point is that in the past (if I remember correctly), items were sold with disclaimers - basically “this thing may not work like it’s supposed to” - instead of not being sold in certain markets at all. Now all the litigation (for example, being burned by a hot cup of coffee) has forced companies into protecting people from themselves. Plus no one wants to market a product that has a label saying it may not work. 
    The ridiculous tort law and idiotic litigation happiness that has bankrupted many a company is almost purely an American problem. It doesn't apply here.

Selling a product with the disclaimer "this thing may not work like it's supposed to" is not something that happened in Europe "in the past", and if a feature is advertised and doesn't work as intended, the product is by definition defective and can (and will) be returned. 

Especially with medical functionality, that disclaimer is simply not an option here, and hasn't been for many, many, many years.