Apple Pay Cash disallowing person-to-person credit card payments

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Effective immediately, Apple Pay Cash in iOS 12.2 and watchOS 5.2 will not allow sending person to person funded by credit cards, including the forthcoming Apple Card.

Detail from Apple's Apple Pay Cash website
Detail from Apple's Apple Pay Cash website

Following the announcement of its Apple Card, Apple has now altered its existing Apple Pay Cash service. As of March 25, Apple Pay Cash ceased allowing users to make person to person payments using a credit card, although it still supports ACH bank transfers. Apple has now also added an Instant Transfer option which lets you transfer money from Apple Pay Cash to an eligible debit debit card, but for a 1 percent fee.

Apple says that these changes to Apple Pay Cash are coming with the updates to iOS 12.2 and watchOS 5.2. Apple and Green Dot, the service that Apple uses for Apple Pay Cash, claim that dropping credit card support is to help customers, by avoiding cash advance fees that a bank may pass on to a customer when paying an individual with Apple Pay Cash.

Apple's announcement says that the Apple Pay Cash Instant Transfer service usually works "within minutes of your request, but could take up to 30 minutes." While Apple now charges for transferring money out of Apple Pay Cash and no longer supports credit cards for person to person transfers, it does still support debit cards without charge.

"You can continue to send money for free with Apple Pay, with no fees at all, using your debit card or your Apple Pay Cash balance," the terms clearly say.

Apple Card was announced at Apple's March 25 event and will be launched in the US this summer. Goldman Sachs CEO Richard Gnodde said that the Apple Card will see an international release, after an initial, focused deployment in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Don’t upgrade!!

/s

I got that email last night but the change won’t affect me as I never transfer money from my credit card. It wouldn’t make much sense considering I have a checking account that works for me fee. I wonder how many people tranaferred from a credit card. I figure Apple has the numbers and maybe it was used infrequently enough it was deemed unimportant. Or maybe it was intended as a launch feature only to help people get started with Apple Pay Cash. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Yeah I can see this not having anything to do with Apple Card and more plugging a hole which has done more harm then good. I know plenty of people who have accidentally taken a cash advance on a credit card (something no one should ever do, or ever wants to do) thanks to trying to send cash via Apple Pay.
    randominternetpersonnetmagedoozydozenracerhomie3
  • Reply 3 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Don’t upgrade!!

/s

I got that email last night but the change won’t affect me as I never transfer money from my credit card. It wouldn’t make much sense considering I have a checking account that works for me fee.
    Hey you know when that might be a handy feature, say- for the time that maybe you don't have enough money in that checking account and need some cash for an emergency. /s

Of course I don't worry about cash advances because I'll always have enough money in my checking account and will never have emergencies. Until I do.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    macgui said:
    Don’t upgrade!!

/s

I got that email last night but the change won’t affect me as I never transfer money from my credit card. It wouldn’t make much sense considering I have a checking account that works for me fee.
    Hey you know when that might be a handy feature, say- for the time that maybe you don't have enough money in that checking account and need some cash for an emergency. /s

Of course I don't worry about cash advances because I'll always have enough money in my checking account and will never have emergencies. Until I do.
    Ok, but that's not what that feature was designed for.  It's a way to send cash to someone, not take out a quick loan.
    netmagepscooter63doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Still waiting on ApplePay Cash in Australia. It can’t be that hard Apple.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    macgui said:
    Don’t upgrade!!

/s

I use my credit card in emergency situations.
    netmagedoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Don't point the finger at Apple.  Australian banks have been dragging their feet over Apple Pay for years.
    StrangeDayspscooter63doozydozenchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    kiehtankiehtan Posts: 38member

Apple has now also added an Instant Transfer option which lets you transfer money from Apple Pay Cash to an eligible debit debit card, but for a 1 percent fee. 

So does this mean if someone sends me cash and I want to transfer it to my own Bank account (i.e., my debit card), I get charged a fee? Major fail if this is the case
    caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
     While Apple now charges for transferring money out of Apple Pay Cash and no longer supports credit cards for person to person transfers, it does still support debit cards without charge.
    I'm still a little confused, I assume transfers out of Apple Pay Cash to your bank are still free?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    kiehtan said:

Apple has now also added an Instant Transfer option which lets you transfer money from Apple Pay Cash to an eligible debit debit card, but for a 1 percent fee. 

So does this mean if someone sends me cash and I want to transfer it to my own Bank account (i.e., my debit card), I get charged a fee? Major fail if this is the case
    Only if you do an Instant Transfer. Regular transfers to debit cards/checking accounts are still supported without a fee but take 1 to 3 days to complete.
    edited March 2019 netmagepscooter63doozydozenchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    P Money!P Money! Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Boooo! on apple, should have left it alone. if was a great option to Transfer money from a credit card, pay it back and still earn points on your Credit card like Amex. MacGui has a great point. You never know when you have an emergency and could just send money directly from a Credit card to a family member if you didn't have it all. Just sayin..... more options the better. there is no one size fits all.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    P Money! said:
    Boooo! on apple, should have left it alone. if was a great option to Transfer money from a credit card, pay it back and still earn points on your Credit card like Amex. MacGui has a great point. You never know when you have an emergency and could just send money directly from a Credit card to a family member if you didn't have it all. Just sayin..... more options the better. there is no one size fits all.
    You want to be able to move money around, earn credit card points, and pay no transaction fees?  Gee, why wouldn't Apple and the credit card companies want to support that...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    P Money! said:
    You want to be able to move money around, earn credit card points, and pay no transaction fees?  Gee, why wouldn't Apple and the credit card companies want to support that...
    But that's exactly what Apple is allowing with it's own credit card.  If it's okay with the Apple credit card, why wouldn't it be okay with another card?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    kiehtan said:

RTA
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    P Money! said:
    But that's exactly what Apple is allowing with it's own credit card.  If it's okay with the Apple credit card, why wouldn't it be okay with another card?
    A) That's not how I read it.  It sounds like you can send money from "Apple Pay Cash" (which is not the credit card) without a fee, but not from the new Apple Card.
    B) Even if Apple did allow it (with some restrictions preventing you from literally make millions just sending money back and forth with your friends), limiting to their own card would make sense--because it encourages you to have and use their card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gc_ukgc_uk Posts: 110member
    Don't point the finger at Apple.  Australian banks have been dragging their feet over Apple Pay for years.
    Don’t blame the banks, also not available in the UK. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    P Money! said:
    A) That's not how I read it.  It sounds like you can send money from "Apple Pay Cash" (which is not the credit card) without a fee, but not from the new Apple Card.
    B) Even if Apple did allow it (with some restrictions preventing you from literally make millions just sending money back and forth with your friends), limiting to their own card would make sense--because it encourages you to have and use their card.
    B) I am confused and intrigued simultaneously.  For the life of me I can't figure out how you could possibly make any money, no less millions, sending  money back and forth with your friends.  I would dearly love an explanation of how that would work.