Apple Card, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV+ on the AppleInsider Podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
On this special episode of the AppleInsider Podcast, Daniel Eran Dilger joins us from Cupertino to talk about the announcements made at Apple's Services-centric March 25th event, where Apple News+, Apple Card, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV+ were all on display.

Apple Card interface
Jennifer Bailey explains the Apple Card interface features

AppleInsider editor Victor Marks and writer Daniel Eran Dilger answer discuss:
  • Apple announced a lot of things, but only one material product - the titanium Apple Card. Victor is excited about the potential for good personal finance guidance, Dan is more optimistic about the spread of Apple Pay with rewards as an incentive.
  • Apple News+ is a service where we're still learning what will or won't be possible to be distributed through it, but the concept of machine learning recommendations with human curation for news quality seems like a win. Publishing is changing, and Apple has certainly tried to be the future of publishing in the past. Maybe this is the attempt that works?
  • Apple Arcade: Victor is in love with the idea of games that are paid apps, games that attempt to tell stories other than first-person shooters, having a chance to be art.
  • Apple TV+ is the streaming service we've been talking about all these months. We don't know exactly when it will debut, and Dan has some question as to whether iTunes is going to be on the third party TVs or this TV service will be there, exactly. Victor thinks there are some good shows in the works, but is concerned about the costs Apple might ask. Dan isn't, thinking Apple knows how to price accordingly.
We like reader email -- send us your comments and concerns!.

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links:
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @wgallagher and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I saw an emphasis on consumption rather than creation.

I suppose Apple is big enough to have sections focused on the creative side: Final Cut, Logic Pro, etc. and the consumer side.
    But the pro apps are buried under "Support" on Apple's home page. And there's no sign of the other Apple apps: Numbers, GarageBand, Keynote. (They're under Support->App Store.)
    Apple used to be VERY proud that people used their products to create things, and that was front & center in their branding. Now they've shifted to watching, listening, playing, & spending.

I'm sure there's a lot more money to be made from the masses sitting on their butts consuming stuff, but I miss the focus on making tools to let people create amazing things.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jasenj1 said:
    I saw an emphasis on consumption rather than creation.
    At a services event you noticed that they emphasized how their new and expanded services could benefit users? 🤔

PS: In just 9 weeks there will be another event that is focused on developing (i.e.: creation).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,587member
    It's true that merchants pay credit card companies a fee, but what very few people know is that studies show that people spend 20% more when they use a credit card to pay than when they use cash. So that fee paid by merchants isn't as bad as it seems since credit cards directly cause 20% more sales. On another matter, it's not the fee that causes merchants to avoid Amex; it's the date Amex pays the merchant. I'll let you research that.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    This Podcast says Apple originally partnered with AT&T when the iPhone came out. My recollection is that Apple originally partnered with Cingular. Then AT&T bought Cingular.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    After a couple of hours of using News+ on macOS I was able to figure out how to view the Wall Street Journal or certain other papers. But I couldn't find the LA Times. Perhaps Apple won't let Canadians access the LA Times. That's a story there. But also, I find the News App extremely difficult to use. It's not unfixable but it's a disaster in my opinion. For example, the search box is in a dark grey font on a light grey background, which makes it hard to use. It looks like a disabled control! But that's just one of a dozen big usability issues. At this point I won't recommend News+ to my friends because I have a reputation to maintain.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Your podcast got cut off before it ended. Consider fixing that. I'd like to hear the whole podcast.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    This Podcast says Apple originally partnered with AT&T when the iPhone came out. My recollection is that Apple originally partnered with Cingular. Then AT&T bought Cingular.
    Dan mentioned Cingular.

Cingular was originally named Bellsouth, one of the baby bells that was broken off of AT&T in 1984. The announcement in January 2007 was with Cingular. 

https://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/Cingular_timeline7.pdf

Cingular bought AT&T in 2004. In January of 2007, they started work on migrating the Cingular brand to AT&T. That transition wasn't publicly begun in a meaningful way in January, so they did the announcement under the Cingular brand. By June 2007, the transition had been completed, and they launched with AT&T.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/from-att-to-cingular-and-back-again/
  • Reply 8 of 8
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Your podcast got cut off before it ended. Consider fixing that. I'd like to hear the whole podcast.
    Actually, Dan's signal got cut off and we weren't able to re-establish the call. These are the things we have to deal with when doing remote calls from an event. Honestly, I'm very glad his sound quality was as good as it was using the wired Apple earbuds for a mic. 

I'd love to fix this for you, but the recording just doesn't exist to give you what you're asking for.