Apple TV Remote app for iOS snags fresh icon in update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    As others have implies, the physical TV remote should be the focus of everyone’s ire. This POS has been universally panned since its inception, and yet Apple has done nothing about it. I cannot believe that anyone at Apple in a position to make a difference uses it on a regular basis. It makes the “hockey puck” mouse look good. They should try using the TiVo “peanut” for a while if the want to know how a good remote design works. Which reminds me, until Apple includes TiVo-like recording functionality I won’t be switching to TV+. Streaming has its limits. We only use our TV to watch Apple events and the occasional movie on iTunes. Too bad Steve isn’t  around to finish “cracking the TV thing.”
  • Reply 22 of 29

jcs2305 said:
    zenwaves said:
    New icon.... but still no volume control???
    #priorities
    So you want an IR blaster in your phone?  Please let us know how the control you are asking for can be done without IR capabilities?

HDMI?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcs2305 said:
    zenwaves said:
    #priorities
    So you want an IR blaster in your phone?  Please let us know how the control you are asking for can be done without IR capabilities?

I can't recall the last time I saw a TV without HDMI-CEC and when you consider Apple TV users the number of televisions that will support working HDMi-CEC is probably pretty high.

Apple clearly has their reasons for not supporting HDMI-CEC volume and mute controls in their iOS app the way they support it in their Apple TV via the Siri Remote, but saying the iPhone would beed to have an IR transmitter to have volume and mute controls isn't a valid response.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 24 of 29
    zenwaves said:

So we are now bitching about an icon? JFC!

It actually looks neat and the app itself is much better than the physical remote.

You can't change the volume via the app, so I have to disagree with you.
    I’ve just used the volume buttons on my iphone to change the volume on the Apple TV while using the remote control app. It works on mine. 
    commentzillawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    sdc2807 said:
    zenwaves said:

So we are now bitching about an icon? JFC!

It actually looks neat and the app itself is much better than the physical remote.

You can't change the volume via the app, so I have to disagree with you.
    I’ve just used the volume buttons on my iphone to change the volume on the Apple TV while using the remote control app. It works on mine. 
    Brilliant! Now I need a manual to use an App with only a half-dozen buttons! The App should make this functionality clear.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    CyborgOne said:
    zenwaves said:
    #priorities
    zenwaves said:
    We're talking about the iOS app - not the physical remote - and no, there is still no volume control via the app.
    zenwaves said:
    You can't change the volume via the app, [...]

I’m pretty sure that’s intentional: Unlike the Apple TV remote, the iPhone doesn’t have an IR emitter - and many (most?) TVs/Receivers don’t provide for volume control via HDMI-CEC.  Including UI elements in the app which are intended to control such “external” (i.e. not related to the functionality of the Apple TV device) behaviors, seems it would just lead to confusion and frustration on the part of users.

Reference:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225
    Lol, just after I posted those two things - I saw that page!

However, for all practical purposes, this is probably still a "No" for many of us. I recently replaced an older (but excellent) Harmon Kardon (non-HDMI) with a new Denon (HDMI-CEC) receiver - but now I'm passing the connection through an HDMI splitter/switch to the receiver and TV ...

Still a "No" for me. 
  • Reply 27 of 29
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Soli said:
    jcs2305 said:
    zenwaves said:
    #priorities

I can't recall the last time I saw a TV without HDMI-CEC and when you consider Apple TV users the number of televisions that will support working HDMi-CEC is probably pretty high.

Apple clearly has their reasons for not supporting HDMI-CEC volume and mute controls in their iOS app the way they support it in their Apple TV via the Siri Remote, but saying the iPhone would beed to have an IR transmitter to have volume and mute controls isn't a valid response.

Disadvantages of HDMI-CEC 

• CEC functionality is not required to be included on all HDMI-equipped devices.
    • On devices that include HDMI-CEC, feature access is not always consistent when using mixed brand components.
    • Not as comprehensive control as using the device's own remote or a universal remote.
    • In some cases, HDMI-CEC must be activated in order for HDMI-ARC to also work.
    • Sometimes HDMI-CEC will activate or turn-off devices when you don't want it to.

https://www.lifewire.com/hdmi-cec-4158343

I think there are too many variables to user experience for Apple to enable this. This is Apple after all and the easy and consistency of use needs to be spot on or people would lose it, the issues above are out of Apple’s control and make adoption risky if things don’t work. 

My my response was to the OP and what was available currently using then IOS app and an iPhone  without an IR blaster there is no way to grant the functionality he/she hashtagged about. Op never mentioned HDMI-CEC control so I assumed they thought Apple simply overlooked this function, which doesn’t seem to be the case with the current capabilities.

There are a ton of snarky ass trolls that appear here daily, maybe I was a bit curt with my response. 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    I don’t understand why the iOS remote app works by replicating a dumb traditional remote.

You literately have a fancy $1200 touch device in your hands, simulating a $20 device.
    Why doesn’t the remote replicate a simplified view of the AppleTV’s view so you can directly tap on items with the convenience of a phone, instead of having to swipe up, left, right and down, swiping too far or not enough all the friggin’ time?

Genius. Get this guy a job at Apple Park. This makes so much sense, it’s the 21st century and we’re still using TV remotes like it’s the 1970’s. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    jcs2305 said:
    I don’t understand why the iOS remote app works by replicating a dumb traditional remote.

You literately have a fancy $1200 touch device in your hands, simulating a $20 device.
    Why doesn’t the remote replicate a simplified view of the AppleTV’s view so you can directly tap on items with the convenience of a phone, instead of having to swipe up, left, right and down, swiping too far or not enough all the friggin’ time?

Where do I find a Siri remote for $20.00?  I could use a spare...

Was a typo, and an excellent opportunity for you to be snarky about it while ignoring the core message of my post. Well done.