Apple cancels AirPower wireless charging mat, citing quality issues

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 228
    tjv82ctjv82c Posts: 9member
    May have already been mentioned, but I really hope Apple open up the 'Lock screen charging status' functionality to work on other devices then! It would be good to be able to see that "at a glance".
  • Reply 222 of 228
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    n2itivguy said:
    So very, very disappointing. Ridiculous, really. 
    Yes, it is a ridiculous world we live in when real-life engineering problems make my entitlement to consumer goods secondary. Don't they know who I am??

Dunno, I've launched real-world products before and have experienced the trials & tribulations, and the disappointment when the mass produced product doesn't match how we envisioned it when things are perfect inside our head alone. Real life is funny like that...but what can you do? So perhaps I have a little more engineering empathy and a little less entitlement about these sorts of things compared to what im sure we'll be reading. Agreed that it's disappointing tho, for sure.
    Yes, it IS ridiculous. You don't have to make it about entitlement. It's ridiculous because it's Apple Inc. They can engineer the thinnest and greatest iPhone ever but can't engineer a wireless charging pad?  But that said, for me, it's not that big of a deal.  I can, however, understand the disappointment for those waiting for it.

Edit:  Full disclosure, I know nothing about engineering iPhones or wireless charging pads. ;)
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 223 of 228
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    And this is why one should consider all CE "vaporware" until it actually ships. Despite Apple being one of the least likely to not ship an announced product, especially after printing its mention a new shipping product, it's clearly still possible.

So, will Apple ever figure it out? What is the problem? My guess is that AirPower works fine for charging multiple devices, but isn't safe enough. The company they originally bought demoed coins and keys on the mat with the coils ignoring them. If that's the case then I think it's still possible, but they may need more coils and a more intelligent system for talking to each device continually to make sure it's only sending power to items that can can be charged.

Or maybe it works, but with a charging setup that is too different from Qi to be compatible, but since Qi is the standard there may not be a way to shoehorn it in there or create Apple products that can support 2 charging standards at this time.

Hopefully we get a full report someday, but I think we'll mostly end up with speculation.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 224 of 228
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member
    chasm said:
    HenryDJP said:

ElCapitan said:
    LOL

Perhaps it will teach Timmy & Co to go back to good, old, well tested Apple product management practices of NOT announcing product till they are ready to ship (meaning they are also properly tested)!

Now if they had done the same with certain keyboards too,  a lot of grief on both sides of the coin would have been avoided. 
    Stop trolling please. The discussion has been going well. We don't need these "Timmy" trolling comments. 
    To be fair, it would appear that ElCapitan is the same age as his preferred OS point number -- 11.
    Did you reply to the wrong person? Nothing you said had anything to do with what I said. 
  • Reply 224 of 228
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member
    chasm said:
    HenryDJP said:

ElCapitan said:
    LOL

Perhaps it will teach Timmy & Co to go back to good, old, well tested Apple product management practices of NOT announcing product till they are ready to ship (meaning they are also properly tested)!

Now if they had done the same with certain keyboards too,  a lot of grief on both sides of the coin would have been avoided. 
    Stop trolling please. The discussion has been going well. We don't need these "Timmy" trolling comments. 
    To be fair, it would appear that ElCapitan is the same age as his preferred OS point number -- 11.
    I think you replied the wrong person?
  • Reply 226 of 228
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    Japhey said:
    n2itivguy said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Yes, it is a ridiculous world we live in when real-life engineering problems make my entitlement to consumer goods secondary. Don't they know who I am??
    How immature. No need to be so aggressive. It’s ridiculous Apple announced a product as early as they did. There’s nothing entitlement related to that at all. 
    Um, I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic. A slight jab at the people whose lives are ruined by this devastating announcement.   
    Would be certain if there were the “/s,” but it wasn’t there. But whatevs. 🤙🏾
  • Reply 226 of 228
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    Japhey said:
    n2itivguy said:
    n2itivguy said:
    How immature. No need to be so aggressive. It’s ridiculous Apple announced a product as early as they did. There’s nothing entitlement related to that at all. 
    Um, I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic. A slight jab at the people whose lives are ruined by this devastating announcement.   
    Would be certain if there were the “/s,” but it wasn’t there. But whatevs. 🤙🏾