Beats $249 Powerbeats Pro boast "Hey Siri" support, shipping in May

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    HenryDJP said:
    mike1 said:
    HenryDJP said:
    I don't understand why Apple created these when they have the Air Pods? Also how are these new PowerBeats Pro charged up?

Umm, different consumer use cases. As stated in the first sentence, "in a design that is more useful for listening while working out or playing sports."
    The Air Pods are used often under those circumstances. I see people at the gym daily and running outside with the Air Pods. True they have a higher chance of falling out but it just seems as though Apple is creating redundancy with these PowerBeats Pro earbuds and they will compete against each other. Both are Apple's products. 
    Apple has said many times they are not afraid of cannibalizing their own sales with other sales. Win-win.
    ronn
  • Reply 22 of 34

wreighven said:
    I may be missing something, but it doesn't look like the case can charge wirelessly. Seems like a huge omission for new-to-the-market "completely wire free" $249 headphones made by the same company that makes other headphones that have a wireless charging case (at $50 less cost)...
    Wireless refers to usage patterns, not charging patterns. Mobile devices are also known as "wireless", and are referred to as such, despite needing a wire to charge. Nobody gives a shit if the charging case requires a wire to charge itself.
    ronn
  • Reply 23 of 34

Appleish said:
    Loops and huge? Pass. AirPods are great and hopefully will be even better next year, when there is a true v2.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for third-gen AirPods one year after the second-gen. There is nothing "fake" about second-gen, it is v2 with a new chip and better stats. That people wished for more isn't its problem and doesn't negate it being the second version.
    thtronn
  • Reply 24 of 34
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I had the previous generation of these and the ear piece snapped off after a few months. Complete junk. I went back to the BeatsX and love them. hopefully they fixed the weak points in the ear hooks of the previous generation.
    albegarc
  • Reply 25 of 34
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    wreighven said:
    sflagel said:
    wreighven said:
    I may be missing something, but it doesn't look like the case can charge wirelessly. Seems like a huge omission for new-to-the-market "completely wire free" $249 headphones made by the same company that makes other headphones that have a wireless charging case (at $50 less cost)...
    "...more than 24 hours of combined playback when using the built-in battery of the magnetic closure case" seems to indicate that the case charges.
    Sflagel, thanks for the reply.  If you read my post closer though, you'll see I'm asking about the case's ability to be charged wirelessly.  I am well aware the case can charge the headphones.  My point is I don't think the case can be charged wirelessly by a wireless charger.  I think you have to use the Lightning connector to charge the case...
    oops! Sorry!!! I have not found any information anywhere on the web confirming whether the case charges wirelessly, that's probably a "no" for now, then... I agree that is disappointing.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    HenryDJP said:
    I don't understand why Apple created these when they have the Air Pods? Also how are these new PowerBeats Pro charged up?

I have both and use both everyday. AirPods for the office, I actually like that they don’t fit super snug so I can still hear what’s going on around me and they are also more discreet. Powerbeats for the gym, they’re far more secure for exercising and a little more rugged. 
  • Reply 27 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Wow, these are some of the nicest looking and shockingly understated Beats branded products I’ve seen. I think these are going to be exceptionally popular and attract new customers to the Beats brand who may not have appreciated the “hey, look at me I’m wearing Beats headphones” aesthetic of other Beats branded products. I would wear these in a heartbeat. Love the look and the color choices too. When the batteries on current AirPods give up the ghost I know what I’ll be buying. 
    mike1ronn
  • Reply 28 of 34
    mike1 said:
    HenryDJP said:
    mike1 said:
    HenryDJP said:

Umm, different consumer use cases. As stated in the first sentence, "in a design that is more useful for listening while working out or playing sports."
    The Air Pods are used often under those circumstances. I see people at the gym daily and running outside with the Air Pods. True they have a higher chance of falling out but it just seems as though Apple is creating redundancy with these PowerBeats Pro earbuds and they will compete against each other. Both are Apple's products. 
    So, adding a model that further serves the needs of some users is a bad thing? To paraphrase Steve Jobs (I believe) " If you a aren't willing cannibalize your own sales, somebody else will."
    Did I say it was bad thing? Go away! I just said I didn't understand the need to have both products competing with each other. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    HenryDJP said:

I have both and use both everyday. AirPods for the office, I actually like that they don’t fit super snug so I can still hear what’s going on around me and they are also more discreet. Powerbeats for the gym, they’re far more secure for exercising and a little more rugged. 
    EDIT from previous post. I assume you're referring to the older PowerBeats, unless you're a YouTuber with pre-release models?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 30 of 34
    HenryDJP said:
    HenryDJP said:

EDIT from previous post. I assume you're referring to the older PowerBeats, unless you're a YouTuber with pre-release models?
    Yeah I have the older wireless ones. I never knew how much the cord in the back annoys me until
    I bought the AirPods. Really looking forward to the true wireless ones. 
    ronn
  • Reply 31 of 34
    tht said:
    Definite pass with ear hooks. It’s either wear these Powerbeats Pros or wear my glasses. Not doing both, and I really need my glasses.

For what it's worth, I've worn the PowerBeats 2 and my eyeglasses without any problems.
    ronn
  • Reply 32 of 34
    CDub271CDub271 Posts: 1member
    I did not like the feel of the Powerbeats I previously tried. I have not run into any problems running with my Airpods, but I might look into getting a pair of these for working out.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    albegarc said:
    Hopefully these earbuds are better than the powerbeats 3. I had them for almost a year and honestly it was a bad experience. I had them replaced 4 times, while the warranty was valid it was ok, but I sold the last replacement 3 months before the warranty was due. Since then I have used other
    brands like Bose and currently I use a Jaybird Run and honestly they are great.
    +1 - I went through 6 pairs in 8 months (only used at the gym or sunny day outdoor 10-20km runs) and then Apple let me exchange them for Bose ones. They told me "Your workouts are too serious for the PowerBeats"... 2 hour half marathons and some weight lifting??? I'm sure your brand spokesperson LeBron does orders of mag. more serious workouts... but he's likely stocked with a locker room full of headphones to swap.

Good news is the replacement policy is good enough to allow one to give them a try... as long as you can deal with almost monthly trips to the Apple store and have a backup pair of workout headphones.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Soli said:
    HenryDJP said:
    How about this? I can't use AirPods because they earbud-style phones both don't feel comfortable or sound great, but in-earphones do on both counts, not to mention all the benefits Mike1 mentioned.
    Yep exactly, not to mention a range of colors.