Fear and nagging: How the Apple Watch annoys you into getting active and losing weight

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Good!

Approaching 80% of American (fat-ass) adults are obese.

As a prominent Neurosurgeon said, (Sorry, I don't have the ref.) "If you are 30#'s overweight, you have everything!" I.e., heart disease, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and at least 12-most cancers attributed to a bad diet! :)

Thank you Apple for your focus on health! :)

As an aside, I remember, Tim was looking a little 'pobsey.' Like he was wearing his sister's jeans. He then lost 30#'s. And as he said, by 'connecting the rings' on his watch! Good show!
    :)
  • Reply 22 of 24
    This is the most ridiculous article I have ever read about the watch. It is just a tool and if you really feel intimidated and controlled by it you seriously need psychiatric help. The watch has profoundly changed my life. It certainly motivated me to exercise and to close the rings each day when I first got one. I have just reached 1000 moves and a move streak of more than 1 year but the motivation now comes from within me. Yesterday I walked 13 kilometres, the temperature was 35C, singing aloud to Billy Joel, Willy Nelson or Robbie Williams and I was HAPPY. Not bad at 74 years old and looking forward to the next 74. Could not have done this at half my age, too busy earning a living.

• Reply 23 of 24
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    As someone who doesn't like wrist-wearables the exercise notifications/health benefits are the only reason I still wear the Apple watch I bought out of developer curiosity – I'm so lazy I've still not turned off the annoying 'breathe' reminders even though I've only once ever obeyed them. Other than that I occasionally find myself using it to control the lights at home and set timers when cooking, and now it makes unlocking my MacBook Pro faster… may eventually start using it instead of the iPhone for Apple Pay. The only times I've tried to take calls on it have been embarrassingly unusable and I wouldn't use those message auto-replies… There's no way I'd pay ~£300 for that if it wasn't keeping me a little more active as well.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 24 of 24
    MrStupid said:
    This is the most ridiculous article I have ever read about the watch. It is just a tool and if you really feel intimidated and controlled by it you seriously need psychiatric help. The watch has profoundly changed my life. It certainly motivated me to exercise and to close the rings each day when I first got one. I have just reached 1000 moves and a move streak of more than 1 year but the motivation now comes from within me. Yesterday I walked 13 kilometres, the temperature was 35C, singing aloud to Billy Joel, Willy Nelson or Robbie Williams and I was HAPPY. Not bad at 74 years old and looking forward to the next 74. Could not have done this at half my age, too busy earning a living.
    I don't think the article is necessarily portraying the Apple Watch behavior in a negative light, just exploring the psychology behind its Activities app and notifications.

Personally, I've found it incredibly beneficial, particularly with the new monthly goals being more than "complete all the rings in a month." As a Type 2 diabetic, I've found that the compulsion to walk daily and at length ("I have another 300 calories to go? I guess I'll go walk for an hour") have helped me both weight-wise and blood-wise (I now average a pre-diabetic glucose level). Certainly I can improve my diet to help even more, but the Watch is instrumental, even more than my Microsoft Band was when that was my daily driver (I loved my Band as well).