Dark mode, universal 'Undo' gestures touted to arrive in 'iOS 13'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tht said:
    this seems like the biggest change:

”Another major change is based around multitasking on iPad. Apps will be able to have multiple windows, which can be detached from their location using a drag gesture and moved around the iPad display, stacked to keep them tidy, and to be dismissed by being thrown away.”

...if true, moving to a windowed interface on iPad is a major departure.
    Well, it is really a slow creep towards what Apple should be racing to for iPad Pros at least: full blown overlapping displays (panels, windows, pallets, etc). It also needs full blown filesystem access, including shell access, at least 2 USBC ports if not TB3 ports, with drivers and support for virtually all USB devices.

They’ve been holding back the potential of the slate form factor for too long. 
    This is one thing that I don't understand about Apple, iPad has huge potential if they would only break away from iPhone just a bit.   These days I'm seeing Android embedded in all sorts of devices that could be served by iPad if it wasn't for so many restrictions and performance issues in the way.

On the other hand I'm really hoping that some of these new features are Marsipan API dedicated.    It would be nice to see multiple window apps work just as well on iPad and on Mac OS.   I'm also hoping for floating apps like calculators and even video playback to be always on top even if you have other chores to do (at least in a more general sense than today).
  • Reply 42 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tht said:
    tht said:

”Another major change is based around multitasking on iPad. Apps will be able to have multiple windows, which can be detached from their location using a drag gesture and moved around the iPad display, stacked to keep them tidy, and to be dismissed by being thrown away.”

Well, it is really a slow creep towards what Apple should be racing to for iPad Pros at least: full blown overlapping displays (panels, windows, pallets, etc). It also needs full blown filesystem access, including shell access, at least 2 USBC ports if not TB3 ports, with drivers and support for virtually all USB devices.

That sounds like a MacBook. 
    It can’t be a MacBook if it isn’t a clamshell form factor.

Primary input devices of an iPad should be touch, virtual keyboard and stylus. Primary interface of a laptop is a hardware keyboard and pointing device. How the devices are used is different. What they can do, should be the same.
    In your opinion. You forgot that part. Because part of the beauty, popularity and success of the iPad is its simplicity compared to normal desktops or laptops. My mom doesn’t want to dick around with drivers, I assure you. And as John Gruber wrote, what allows iOS to be light is that macOS is heavier. 
    How would drivers ever affect your mom?    The base functionality of the iPad would remain, drivers only come into play if you want to add the functionality of special external hardware.   Simplicity doesn't go away just because you add capability for a few users, what isn't seen by the masses isn't a problem   
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    tht said:
    tht said:

That sounds like a MacBook. 
    It can’t be a MacBook if it isn’t a clamshell form factor.

Primary input devices of an iPad should be touch, virtual keyboard and stylus. Primary interface of a laptop is a hardware keyboard and pointing device. How the devices are used is different. What they can do, should be the same.
    In your opinion. You forgot that part. Because part of the beauty, popularity and success of the iPad is its simplicity compared to normal desktops or laptops. My mom doesn’t want to dick around with drivers, I assure you. And as John Gruber wrote, what allows iOS to be light is that macOS is heavier. 
    Yes, in my opinion.

This business of lightness or heaviness is what, a game of semantics? The OSes are the basically 99% of the same, it’s just Apple has chosen to design the UI of iOS in a certain manner. IMO, it’s long past due to take the handcuffs off. Turn on the virtual memory system. Enable terminal access, support external devices, design the UI for more complicated workflows.

It’s not a zero sum game. Apple can design the OS for a novice and let the UI scale with the experience of its users, let users use the hardware to the fullest.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Dark mode? 

I was expecting an iOS UI total overhaul in iOS 13. Not superficial fan girl features.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    We've heard the same story about iOS 10, 11, and 12.   But this could be the year as Apple might be looking for features to stick in the 2019 iPhone
  • Reply 46 of 53
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mike1 said:
    How about a setting to disable needing Face ID for apps, once I unlock the phone using Face ID?
    Like unlocking my front door and then needing to unlock each room in my house.
    But why did you close the doors I the house?
    Maybe you need to set your apps to not use the password. And these apps which force you to use the password - maybe you need to take it with the app developers?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 53
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7...

Wow, thanks for speaking for every single other person in the entire word in regards to our preference for DarkMode usage...

If I want light I will leave my cave, but within DarkMode reigns...
  • Reply 48 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    urahara said:
    mike1 said:
    How about a setting to disable needing Face ID for apps, once I unlock the phone using Face ID?
    Maybe you need to set your apps to not use the password. And these apps which force you to use the password - maybe you need to take it with the app developers?
    So, rather than ask for a simple setting as part of the OS, I should write to dozens of app developers.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mike1 said:
    urahara said:
    mike1 said:
    So, rather than ask for a simple setting as part of the OS, I should write to dozens of app developers.
    Yes, because you’re obviously either enabling authentication on those 3rd party apps or you are using apps that require authentication already, which would be their prerogative (banks, etc) and not Apple’s call. You’re essentially asking for Apple to override those entities’ wishes. 
  • Reply 50 of 53

kkqd1337 said:
    Dark mode? 

I was expecting an iOS UI total overhaul in iOS 13. Not superficial fan girl features.
    Right, because clearly it’s the only thing they’re doing. /eyeroll
  • Reply 51 of 53

wizard69 said:
    tht said:

I'm also hoping for floating apps like calculators and even video playback to be always on top even if you have other chores to do (at least in a more general sense than today).
    I don’t get it. You can already do both of those things on an iPad. 
  • Reply 52 of 53
    mike1 said:
    urahara said:
    mike1 said:
    Yes, because you’re obviously either enabling authentication on those 3rd party apps or you are using apps that require authentication already, which would be their prerogative (banks, etc) and not Apple’s call. You’re essentially asking for Apple to override those entities’ wishes. 
    Not to mention that authenticating with Face ID requires nothing from the user except to continue looking at their iPhone. I’m not even sure that would measure on the difficulty scale.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    MplsP said:
    How about better/easier bluetooth management? you can either turn bluetooth of completely and disconnect everything or go digging around in the settings app. If I'm playing podcast or song in iTunes I should be able to bring up the bluetooth settings directly from iTunes without going to settings.

Apple said bluetooth was the future, but they sure didn't make it easier to live in the future.
    https://deadbeef.me/Juice/ ;

Check this out.