Editorial: Mozilla's anti-Apple privacy petition call is misguided and unnecessary

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    I found and turned off the tracking long ago. To me it should be opt-in, so I agree with Mozilla.
    I'm 500% positive you have no idea why.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    iCaveiCave Posts: 10member
    This article is misleading. I don't understand the hatred for Mozilla Foundation. They have a valid point and there is no harm in Apple resetting the ad ID every month instead of iOS users having to manually hit the reset button if and when they remember to do it. Advertising Identifier is not used *only* by Apple. It is also made available to third party users through Apple's developer API. Even if it were not tied to Apple ID, Google for example can tie this identifier to [email protected] across their own apps and third party apps and therefore, can build a profile of the user - until it is reset. Therefore, resetting this identifier serves a purpose and that is why Apple has provided a 'reset' button for this. The problems is, most users are not aware of this (as you see in the comments here and elsewhere) and even if they do, have to remember to tap this button every few days/months. All Mozilla is asking Apple is to reset it itself every 30 days.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    nht said:
    Yah, I lost all desire to support them at all after that. Looked at the Brave browser.  Interesting concept
    I've installed it and tried it a few times, but just haven't had much time to investigate.

gatorguy said:
    I agree on the Brave browser but if they plan to monetize it with users paying to surf it's probably already marked for death. 
    Isn't it more like users paying micro amounts to content producers? If so, I think that's the eventual future. Maybe not for the unwashed masses, but for people who actually care about their information and content (and not being the product).

I don't know if they will pull it off, but in podcasting, some of the most successful podcasts have gone to a value-for-value model of funding. It is gaining popularity, just as some of the old-media now think they've invented podcasting and are trying to ruin it like they did their traditional channels.

iCave said:
    ... Even if it were not tied to Apple ID, Google for example can tie this identifier to [email protected] across their own apps and third party apps and therefore, can build a profile of the user - until it is reset. ...
    Could they do this, though? Wouldn't Apple have to make that connection, or someone have overview of what is going on at both Apple and Google? (ie: yeah, the gov't can absolutely put together a bunch of different companies' identifiers if they have an overview.)

That's kind of a problem even with most VPN services if you're truly trying to hide your identity. Modern OSs constantly connect to all kinds of services and accounts, no matter what IP you're hidden behind. Someone who could see all that data can easily identify you, even on a VPN out of a random IP-range.