Apple has a full-time professional philosopher on staff

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    spice-boy said:
    Folio said:
    This is sure to drive sales among the savants in France. But I'll be worried if Mr. Cook creates an entire Division of Philosophy.
    Please explain why you would be worried? 
    An Apple Inc. Division of Philosophy.  If you were interested in maintaining profitability and ensuring Apple’s long term future, please explain why you wouldn’t be worried?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Beloved Pythons, all together now!, One, two, three: Immanuel Kant was a real pissant, who was very rarely stable. Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar, who could think you under the table. David Hume could out-consume, Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel. And Wittgenstein was a beery swine, who was just as schloshed as Schlegel. There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya 'bout the raising of the wrist. Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed. John Stuart Mill, of his own free will, on half a pint of shandy was particularly ill. Plato, they say, could stick it away, half a crate of whiskey every day. Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle, and Hobbes was fond of his dram. And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, "I drink, therefore I am." And: Josh-ua Cohen, at Apple U hidden, was "Drink-ing different" every day!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    This will be good fodder to all those quasi-journalists who (still) love referring to Apple as a cult in their writings.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JWSC said:
    crowley said:
    MisterKit said:
    This offers hope to young aspiring Philosophy students that their degree might one day lead to gainful employment.
    What possible use could critical thinking, debate and logic have in the modern world?
    Hmmmm....  Critical thinking, logic, philosophy.  Oh!  I have a word: oxymoronic.
    Where did you study?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JWSC said:
    spice-boy said:
    Folio said:
    This is sure to drive sales among the savants in France. But I'll be worried if Mr. Cook creates an entire Division of Philosophy.
    An Apple Inc. Division of Philosophy.  If you were interested in maintaining profitability and ensuring Apple’s long term future, please explain why you wouldn’t be worried?
    The only worrisome thing I see is your issue with "the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence."
  • Reply 26 of 36
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    in house training is essential for bleeding edge.  a bit of perspective from philosophical point view will go a long way to explore the road no body walked on before.  Many leading Co got U under pocket, especially, those NOT intend to be one hit wonder type (if I got hammer, everything become a nail).  U is a collective force, some spill off beans left its caccon too early to flight solo will get burned easy (the down fall of U is boose someone's ego to mistake force as his own power alone).  IMHO.  - just check the failed C-list over major American companies, including some retail using Apple store as "insperation"... 
  • Reply 27 of 36
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    chasm said:
    People who think liberal arts, creative thinking, and intellectual pursuits like philosophy are “professional bullshit” are the victims of tiny, poisoned, unimaginative minds.
    What’s really frightening is that there is a need for this sort of thing the first place. It’s a good thing to always learn, to put things in perspective, and to have this line of thinking be reinforced every once in awhile.

The frightening thing is that these tech titans need to have them in the first place. Apple U is a great thing. But Google just pulled their ill fated AI ethics board. It was probably just a PR move in the first place, but what ethics, what philosophy is really driving them in the design of their algorithms, other then offering better and more ad space to their customers? Why did they feel they needed an AI ethics board? Nobody knows.

Facebook and YouTube? They are Slytherin to the core, and go beyond even that. Twitter? Not far behind them. Social media isn’t really beneficial if the companies don’t have a social conscience. That they don’t have a sense of ethics or philosophy while controlling the information for billions of people should be utterly frightening. At every turn, none of these execs has demonstrated an actual iota of ethics.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Soli said:
    JWSC said:
    spice-boy said:
    Folio said:
    The only worrisome thing I see is your issue with "the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence."
    Well, I like physics too (even though they still can’t unify everything).  What does that have to do with philosophy?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    crowley said:
    JWSC said:
    crowley said:
    MisterKit said:
    This offers hope to young aspiring Philosophy students that their degree might one day lead to gainful employment.
    What possible use could critical thinking, debate and logic have in the modern world?
    Hmmmm....  Critical thinking, logic, philosophy.  Oh!  I have a word: oxymoronic.
    Where did you study?
    Someplace special.  For special people ya know.  🤪
  • Reply 30 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JWSC said:
    Soli said:
    JWSC said:
    spice-boy said:
    Folio said:
    Well, I like physics too (even though they still can’t unify everything).  What does that have to do with philosophy?
    You’re asking what “the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence” has to do with philosophy? 🤦‍♂️
  • Reply 31 of 36

In all seriousness, I think Joshua Cohen is a great addition to the mix at Apple.  Diverse teams create an environment that allows people to ask questions that no one in a more homogeneous group would dare to ask.  Jobs would certainly approve of that.

• Reply 32 of 36
    Soli said:
    JWSC said:
    Soli said:
    JWSC said:
    spice-boy said:
    Folio said:
    You’re asking what “the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence” has to do with philosophy? 🤦‍♂️
    Um.  Yes.

Philosophy is more about the nature of humanity within the larger universe.  But it sure ain’t gonna define the universe.  You can join an organized religion for that.
  • Reply 33 of 36

Philosophy - that is, the ability to think - is a useful discipline in business! The Engines of Our Ingenuity podcast <https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/podcasts/engines-of-our-ingenuity/> covered this 2 1/2 years ago in Episode 3096.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 34 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JWSC said:
    Soli said:
    JWSC said:
    Soli said:
    JWSC said:
    spice-boy said:
    Folio said:
    Um.  Yes.

Philosophy is more about the nature of humanity within the larger universe.  But it sure ain’t gonna define the universe.  You can join an organized religion for that.
    I think you should go probably and look up what philosophy is.  Apparently, your special school didn't tell you.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    How many philosophers does it take to turn on an iPhone? It's a purely hypothetical scenario so nobody knows.
  • Reply 36 of 36