Samsung delays launch of Galaxy Fold after review unit screen failures [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Appleish said:
    Shocker.
    No, the models which may unexpectedly shock people are next year.
    JWSCRonnnieOguscatradarthekatchiamacplusplusphotography guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:
    Pathetic. Apparently, this is what happens when Samsung doesn't have Apple doing their R&D for them.

I am waiting with bated breath to see how Huawei et. al overcome this issue: anyone want to bet?
    Does Huawei offer its Fold smartphone to reviewers too? 
    Early impressions are very favourable but logically, folding phones will live or die (literally) by their robustness and that will take years to evaluate in the real world. That said, the real world is by far the best place for that to happen.
    Or, in three days. That’s all it took to identify this turd as having issues. Not years.
    radarthekatchiamacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    Pathetic. Apparently, this is what happens when Samsung doesn't have Apple doing their R&D for them.

I am waiting with bated breath to see how Huawei et. al overcome this issue: anyone want to bet?
    Does Huawei offer its Fold smartphone to reviewers too? 
    They won’t dare to in the US since they’ll get their asses sued for IP theft going back a while. 

Who knows what what they’ll do in the rest of the world... maybe they will, maybe they won’t. You’re their employee — why don’t you tell us?
    I do not work for them. Why do you say I do? 
  • Reply 44 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I was going to say, wait and see if Samesung Delays the launch or not in the U.S. If there is no issues, the launch will go on as planned. If there is as we all think there is. Few Review units out there yet so many fails in a short period of time. That equals a high percentage failure rate. It seems they didn't want to do another HUGE recall on their FOLD. The Reviews were making them look bad, but delaying the launch, so much worse. You can't say the reviewers were breaking them on purpose as a lame excuse. They wouldn't delay a launch over that. WOW!!! Maybe being FIRST is not everything!!! Remember when Samesung Launched the S7 early to be Apple's iPhone. Look how that turned out. Exploding S7's So bad, being banned on planes. In the end, a complete recall of every last S7. This looks like a repeat. Trying to be FIRST with the first folding phone to go on sale to the public. Ops.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    I’ll be the naysayer...

It looks like these were early production models given to reviewers to review, and they didn’t pass muster.  Since the article states tha the launch is delayed, they haven’t been available to the general public.  As someone stated earlier, giving these out to trusted employees might have been a better option, but employees tend to be conservative with stuff their boss gives them, rather than the ‘will it blend’ types, so that test would be biased as well.  

I was hoping for this to succeed, as the envelope gets pushed, more possibilities are available for all.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 53
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    For $2k+ phone that fail badly, Samsung only get a pat on the back and be praised to be a leading tech. Meanwhile Macbook Pro get the worst reps and death curse just because some people don't like the butterfly keyboard. What a fair world we live in.
    guscatmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Appleish said:
    Shocker.
    No, the models which may unexpectedly shock people are next year.
    Like triple fold phone?
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 53
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    The Fold folded faster than the back cover of a ‘Mad’ magazine.
    hexclockguscatradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 53
    hentaiboy said:
    Samsung gives experimental product to some beta testers, responds to feedback, delays launch. Move on everyone.

This isn't fucking Kickstarter for an experimental product to announce a price and take pre-orders. .
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 53
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    hentaiboy said:
    Samsung gives experimental product to some beta testers, responds to feedback, delays launch. Move on everyone.
    I wouldn't call "reviewers" beta testers...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    hentaiboy said:
    hodar said:
    If only there were some sort of "testing" that could be done, prior to shipping this to the customer.

Like, if only there existed the technology to repeatedly open and close this device, through a temperature cycle, thousands and thousands of times; just to see if the product was robust enough to be delivered to the customer.

But, that would require a company that gave a crap about delivering a quality product.
    https://youtu.be/McdgS3Popjk
    IT was good to see Samsung at least made an attempt to test, I never thought they were this stupid to thing the bend was not a stress point in need to accelerated testing. With that said, their testing is too idealistic, it is opening it perfectly with to stress or strain on the hinge point. most people would not hold it top and bottom to open and close it. They will grab it at various places to open it. This is the problem with most testing it does not replicate the real world all that well. You can spend a lot of time testing and never see the results of the real work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 53
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    need I say DED is correct in his take on the tech media?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 53
    A definite double-standard here. The tech world pretty much expects Samsung's products to be rushed out the door with questionable quality. So, when something does fail, or doesn't work as expected, no one is shocked or surprised. With Apple, on the other hand, people expect flawless perfection, so if a product has a slight bend, or some other minor glitch, it's HUGE news. Apple is, in essence, a victim of its own success.
    watto_cobra