Mac malware jumps more than 60% in three months, massive uptick in adware

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    tuqqertuqqer Posts: 3member
    dewme said:
    The way the article is worded makes it sound like MacKeeper, MacBooster, and MplayerX are also malware. Is this true?
    Yes. Countless articles have been written about the nefarious nature of MacKeeper (start here), same with the others. Their market arms are too good, though, and with the large number of people moving to Macs, especially those used to viruses everywhere, it's fighting a losing game. 

I run a large sales force, and I won't work with any of them until they remove MacKeeper and MacBooster from their Macs (not familiar with MplayerX).

Personally, I've been using Macs daily since '92 and have never had a single virus or run any anti-virus software. I have gotten browser-based malware, but that only affected that particular browser, and as CharlesAtlas mentioned above, the free version of Malwarebytes took care of it.   
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Thank you for the warning.

What is adware and how do I protect myself from it?
    As noted above, the absolute best way to avoid any sort of Mac malware is to:

1. NEVER install a Flash update in response to a pop up via a web browser. ALWAYS use the system preference panel to handle Flash updates (if you must have it at all).

2. Stay away from pirating sites and basically any site that promises you free versions of stuff you would normally pay for. Also stay away from PC-oriented download sites that sometimes offer Mac software as well (download.com, softpedia.com, etc). Get your Mac downloads from either the Mac App Store, the developer directly, or MacUpdate.com. No other sources should be considered safe.

3. MalwareBytes has proven itself to be a good citizen when it comes to finding and stopping adware (the major threat a Mac user might actually come across if they follow the first two rules) and malware (far more rare, and not even a blip on the radar compared to the PC and Android worlds). Download the free version and run it, say, bi-weekly.

The only real difference between the free version and the paid version is that the paid version is "active" by which I mean it proactively scans downloads and sites for issues automatically; the free version is "passive," by which I mean it won't monitor or stop anything -- but it does a nice job of cleaning up any malware/adware you've accidentally gotten, if you remember to run it periodically. I recommend the paid version for people who aren't going to remember to run the free version on a schedule, or who need active protection because they're just going to keep falling for clicking fake links in emails (or Flash install pop-ups, et al). Just to be clear, I have zero connection to the company other than being a long-time user.
    edited April 2019 lorin schultzfastasleepbestkeptsecretdocno42watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 26
    chasm said:
    As noted above, the absolute best way to avoid any sort of Mac malware is to: (snip)
    Thanks chasm! That’s helpful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    widowsoft said:
    On a further note as an Apple Engineer  please please please if it says flash needs installing then DONT click on the link just go to www.adobe.com and download from their  but chances are you don't need to install flash .

Have a nice day 
    THIS. Most common vector for rogue browser extension adware garbage. 

Also, today I just helped a client with the aforementioned problem now with Chrome notifications repeatedly saying his McAfee subscription had expired, but the URL from the notification was 1.topmedia.fun. Needless to say he didn't have a McAfee subscription or anything installed. Pretty sure if he clicked on More it would've led him to install some shit. So, the lesson there is don't allow sketchy websites to send you push notifications either!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Haha I literally just ran into one of these popunders — note they doubled up on two kinds of fake modals:
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Thanks for your incredibly informative post Chasm. I follow rules 1 & 2. I'll get around to installing Malwarebytes this weekend on my iMacs and MBP.
    watto_cobra