No, Adobe did not cancel its popular $10 Creative Cloud Photography plan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    How is this not a rip off of some of its customers who don't know they are being charged double for no reason? When a software developer shows it has no ethics, don't expect customers to show ethics either. The torrents are rife with free copies of Adobe's products.
    Using older versions of Adobe software, whether licensed or pirated, requires staying on an older operating system. Photoshop 6 is not going to get an upgrade to 64-bit code.

I have a perpetual license for the Master Collection V5, but I don't know if using it now is even a viable option. The quality of the selection tools has improved so much in the intervening years that what can be accomplished with older versions may not be acceptable anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    lkrupp said:
    In other words, they’re testing to see if they can get away with doubling the price of their most popular subscription. 
    And so what if they are? People will pay it or not. They are not trying to get away with anything. It’s their product, they can charge whatever they want for it. If users see the value they will pay. If they don’t they’ll take a pass.
    Free market Libertarian nonsense.... don't forget that consumers will pack up and move to another product unless that glorious "free market" has evolved into the the Libertarian wet dream, a Monopoly. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 28
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I dumped Adobe when they kill development for Muse, which as the replacement for GoLive which was the replacement for..... 
    The brains at Adobe are only interested in the pro market and can't wait to rid themselves of the small business users, hobbyists, etc...

I've been using Photoshop since 1994 but if Adobe double the price I will get rid of the last of their software and never use any product of their again. 
  • Reply 24 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    spice-boy said:
    I dumped Adobe when they kill development for Muse, which as the replacement for GoLive which was the replacement for..... 
    The brains at Adobe are only interested in the pro market and can't wait to rid themselves of the small business users, hobbyists, etc...

I've been using Photoshop since 1994 but if Adobe double the price I will get rid of the last of their software and never use any product of their again. 
    Muse was garbage. That market is being gobbled up by the Squarespace/Wix/etc crowd, and Adobe knows it.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Are there any professional photo editors here? Graphic artists? Not necessarily photographers, but people who manipulate images for a living. Things like removing backgrounds, creating composites, retouching models, adding people and things to scenes -- in other words, lots of masking, cutting, pasting, reshaping, resizing, etc.

If you're in that group, have you used Pixelmator or Affinity Photo? Are they viable substitutes for Photoshop? I constantly hear or read that they do "almost everything Photoshop does, but at a much better price." It's the "almost" that makes me nervous. What do I lose if I move away from Photoshop? I'm also concerned about the QUALITY of the tools. When I switched to Photoshop in the mid-nineties I was amazed by how much better the colour conversions and anti-aliasing were than the app I'd been using before. The difference wasn't in the feature set, but how the results of certain features looked much better in Photoshop. Do Photo or Pixelmator hold up for real work?

The only way to tell is to complete every project at least twice -- once in Photoshop, then again in the substitute candidate -- and compare the results. That's time consuming (and boring) so I hope someone will have already made some assessments and can offer an opinion. I'd like to get off the Adobe Express, but I'm afraid I'll regret it and wind up paying even MORE to get back on.
    I fit the demographic you are inquiring about. I’m a photo retoucher and graphic designer. I do this work full time and run my own business. 

I haven’t really given the PS alternatives much consideration outside of iOS, where “real” photoshop isn’t yet available. 

What I have done is begin using Capture One Pro for RAW conversion. So much faster. Both in processing as I actively work and setting up and executing batch workflows. I used to use ACR for all my RAW conversion work and loved how I could embed the RAW image with its ACR conversion as a Smart Object in Photoshop and go back and edit the ACR setting as I work, but in light of Capture One Pro’s better performance and often superior results, I’ve dropped ACR for client work. Capture One Pro does a better job faster. 

I want to believe Lightroom will get better, that is where my personal photography lives, but for client work, I’m on to bigger & better solutions. 
    edited May 2019 firelock
  • Reply 26 of 28
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Are there any professional photo editors here? Graphic artists? Not necessarily photographers, but people who manipulate images for a living. Things like removing backgrounds, creating composites, retouching models, adding people and things to scenes -- in other words, lots of masking, cutting, pasting, reshaping, resizing, etc.

If you're in that group, have you used Pixelmator or Affinity Photo? Are they viable substitutes for Photoshop? I constantly hear or read that they do "almost everything Photoshop does, but at a much better price." It's the "almost" that makes me nervous. What do I lose if I move away from Photoshop? I'm also concerned about the QUALITY of the tools. When I switched to Photoshop in the mid-nineties I was amazed by how much better the colour conversions and anti-aliasing were than the app I'd been using before. The difference wasn't in the feature set, but how the results of certain features looked much better in Photoshop. Do Photo or Pixelmator hold up for real work?

The only way to tell is to complete every project at least twice -- once in Photoshop, then again in the substitute candidate -- and compare the results. That's time consuming (and boring) so I hope someone will have already made some assessments and can offer an opinion. I'd like to get off the Adobe Express, but I'm afraid I'll regret it and wind up paying even MORE to get back on.
    I’m a professional photoretoucher and have done work for major companies for nearly 30 years now. I spend more time managing than retouching nowadays but still get plenty of mouse time in Photoshop and Bridge. I have tried Pixelmator and Affinity Photo only because Adobe doesn’t have Photoshop on the iPad yet and I was looking for something that I could do at least some photo editing on my iPad Pro, which is now my constant companion.

I cannot give either product a thorough review because I did not try either very long. At least on my iPad I found the interfaces somewhat clunky and nothing that I would want to spend any time in. Affinity's "personas" really get on my nerves, for example. They remind me of the old Lightroom “modules” which I didn’t like either. (Big fan, however, of the new Lightroom CC.) But after decades of working nearly exclusively in Photoshop for complex editing some of this comes down to me simply not wanting to invest time in learning new software simply to edit on my iPad. Which is why I was thrilled to see the new Photoshop for iPad previewed at last year’s Adobe Max.

That is in fact what convinced me to finally pony up a personal subscription to the Adobe CC $20/mo. Photography Plan. Though I will say I am eagerly awaiting the actual introduction of Photoshop for iPad at this point, I am extremely happy using the new Lightroom CC to do basic color and minor editing on iPad.

To answer your question on could you do “real” work on Affinity or Pixelmato:, I am sure the answer is yes both because they seem to be fairly robust software and because the definition of “real work” is very use-case specific. However, from a “professional community” point of view, Photoshop is a monopoly and you might as well get used to that fact. I use a number of other photo software packages (I’m a big fan of Luminar, for example) but no one is going to be able to walk in the door at any shop I know and get a job saying that they exclusively know Affinity Photo or Pixelmator as an editing tool.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 28
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    polymnia said:

I fit the demographic you are inquiring about. I’m a photo retoucher and graphic designer. I do this work full time and run my own business. 

I haven’t really given the PS alternatives much consideration outside of iOS, where “real” photoshop isn’t yet available. 

What I have done is begin using Capture One Pro for RAW conversion. So much faster. Both in processing as I actively work and setting up and executing batch workflows. I used to use ACR for all my RAW conversion work and loved how I could embed the RAW image with its ACR conversion as a Smart Object in Photoshop and go back and edit the ACR setting as I work, but in light of Capture One Pro’s better performance and often superior results, I’ve dropped ACR for client work. Capture One Pro does a better job faster. 

I want to believe Lightroom will get better, that is where my personal photography lives, but for client work, I’m on to bigger & better solutions. 
    Definitely agree that Capture One is the weapon of choice for pro photographers. It is what we use in our in-house studios. Like you I use Lightroom for my personal photography. I find C1P to be more complicated than I need for personal use.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    firelock said:
    polymnia said:

Definitely agree that Capture One is the weapon of choice for pro photographers. It is what we use in our in-house studios. Like you I use Lightroom for my personal photography. I find C1P to be more complicated than I need for personal use.
    Lightroom is really great for an advanced amateur. The sync between iOS & desktop is so great for my vacation photos with the family. Obviously, I’m the designated photog of our family, and what I can do with Lightroom on an iPhone is a big reason I stick with LR for my personal shooting. They expose so many great post production tools even on the tiny iPhone screen. Even though all my client work goes through C1P to Photoshop, it’s hard to imagine that workflow ever coming to my personal work. Lightroom is such a great fit for that.