Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Translate this :

PowerPC G5+ (IV kw. 2002 - I kw. 2003)

*\tPonad 2.4GHz

*\t533MHz (4x133MHz) FSB

*\t256-bitowe instrukcje multimedialne Altivec II

*\tZintegrowana w obr´bie rdzenia, 2 MB pami´ç L3, opcjonalna obs©©uga L4?!

*\tSOI, Low-K, 0,10µm

<a href="http://khn.multinet.pl/news/?id=529"; target="_blank">G5+link</a>

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 50
    mavstermavster Posts: 51member
    somethings coming soon... with the imac hovering near the ghz mark, the power in powermac must get a substantial increase, and real soon.. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by the power of the coming machines, even if they do require a price INCREASE... and I don't buy the new case that's going around the web right now.. think more compact, yet more expandible...

with a high end 17" imac at 1999, I can see Apple feeling that they can go back up to 1799, 2799 and 3499 with their truly news POWERMacs (intended for professionals, who wouldn't necessarily mind the slight price increases if hardware were that much improved)... a bump to 1.2ghz would not suffice right now, it would be damn embarrassing..

maybe we'll find out within the next few days as Mot releases some info at the Smart Developer Networks Forum this week.. they've got some sessions planned on the g4 and future roadmaps, etc... At this point, I don't think they'd mind stealing Apple's thunder and releasing specs on new stuff before Apple itself...
  • Reply 23 of 50
    shannylashannyla Posts: 58member
    [sarcasm] The G5 is the new messiah and the baby jesus, all wrapped up in a fuzzy package [/sarcasm]
  • Reply 24 of 50
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Uh, what's new about this?

"Oh G5, where art thou?"
  • Reply 25 of 50
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>

Note: SIMD is Altivec.

So the spec does include the Altivec unit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Compare the e500 manual to the AltiVec PEM:

<a href="http://www.altivec.org/tech_specifications/altivec_pem.pdf"; target="_blank">http://www.altivec.org/tech_specifications/altivec_pem.pdf</a>;

The e500 SIMD instructions ARE NOT AltiVec.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Uh, what's new about this?

"Oh G5, where art thou?"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Even better:

"Oh G5, wherefore art thou?"

If G5 is refering to the next generation of mac, what is it really?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>

Compare the e500 manual to the AltiVec PEM:

<a href="http://www.altivec.org/tech_specifications/altivec_pem.pdf"; target="_blank">http://www.altivec.org/tech_specifications/altivec_pem.pdf</a>;

The e500 SIMD instructions ARE NOT AltiVec.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. If Motorola puts an AltiVec unit in a processor they sure-as-hell are going to call it AltiVec, which is their branding for that piece of technology.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    No, I think that when it comes to the G5 it's more like "To be? Or not to be?"
  • Reply 29 of 50
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by murk:

<strong>Translate this :

PowerPC G5+ (IV kw. 2002 - I kw. 2003)

*\tPonad 2.4GHz

*\t533MHz (4x133MHz) FSB

*\t256-bitowe instrukcje multimedialne Altivec II

*\tZintegrowana w obr´bie rdzenia, 2 MB pami´ç L3, opcjonalna obs©©uga L4?!

*\tSOI, Low-K, 0,10µm

<a href="http://khn.multinet.pl/news/?id=529"; target="_blank">G5+link</a>

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: murk ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

What language is that?
  • Reply 30 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

What language is that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Beats the crapski out of me. :confused: Might be Polish. The only word I have been able to translate is Ponad. According to InterTran (via Watson) in Polish ponad means: upwards of, past, over, over and above, beyond, over and above that. So above 2.4 GHz. Lines 2, 3 and 5 of the G5+ specs are easy enough. Line 4, "Zintegrowana w obr´bie rdzenia, 2 MB pami´ç L3, opcjonalna obs©©uga L4?" InterTran translates as "
  • Reply 31 of 50
    ssendamssendam Posts: 19member
    Looks to me like it might be Czech.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    "There it does not surprise that the speculators mehren themselves."

I took a little artistic license - don't really know what it means, just thought it funny.

Sorry - I had too. Carry on.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Why do people think that professionals don't care about price? Seems that all the professionals I've known that rely on computers DO consider price when buying workstations. They're willing to spend more than your average home computer user, but they still compare prices and find the best deal that they can.

Sure, there are some pros for who price is no object, they simply want the best workstation money can buy. Unfortunately, these sorts are moving to Wintel more and more, because of the performance gap. It is becoming more difficult by the month to justify a Mac purchase in the face of dirt-cheap Wintel boxes that are blazing fast, faster than any Mac for any price, and cheaper than ANY Mac, even an eMac.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    o iborgo iborg Posts: 14member
    OK, granted.

I just dont see the need to discuss wether the 8540 is "suitable" for our needs or not because its not been designed for us.

But as for it being the first eBook 500 implementation it certainly showes to us the road ahead - and if only a few steps.

But remember motorola does produce a whole bunch of CPUs, so any feature of the 8540 doesnt necessairily need to show up in such things as the "G5". The eCore is highly customizable, and as its name suggests, its the core, not including L2 caches or someting.

In some analyst post i recently read Moto is going to switch to HiP8 (HiPerMOS 8) by the end of the year, which not only brings us not only 0.1µ but also reduced the die size by another 50%. HiP7 already was considered "world class" althought Moto seemed to have certain problems in turning it into a working process for themselves while AMD was happy with it

HiP8 will use the 4th implementation of Motorola's Copper interconnect, and it certainly will have the features of HiP7 as well (Dual Inlaid Copper with SiOF Low KILD and such). It will use 1.2V.

BTW - reducing the die =&gt;more Cache memory!
  • Reply 35 of 50
    derrick 61derrick 61 Posts: 178member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

What language is that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it is Polish. The url has ".pl" (Poland?) instead of ".com"
  • Reply 36 of 50
    slackerslacker Posts: 127member
    It is not the G5 that Apple would use, however it is a member of the "G5 family". This is a PowerQUICC III chip.

<a href="http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20020721S0002"; target="_blank">http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20020721S0002</a>;
  • Reply 37 of 50
    itpgaitpga Posts: 2member
    yes it's polish and does not help much. It is posted in december of 2001 and says that Jobs will introduce the G5 at Macworld Expo SF that means that if it would be right then the G5 would be out for 6 months now. (Does it? ;-) )

It says that according to unoffical information Motorola is currently starting the production of its first 64 bits G5 with 1GHz speed, and so on and so on.....
  • Reply 38 of 50
    I didn't put much stock in it, but has there ever been a mention of the G5+ anywhere else? Sound like the version I want. As soon as it's intoduced, I'm buying my G5 from Apple Poland. <a href="http://www.apple.com.pl/start/"; target="_blank">Apple Poland</a>
  • Reply 39 of 50
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by ? iBORG:

<strong>The eCore is highly customizable, and as its name suggests, its the core, not including L2 caches or someting.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately the eCORE itself is not that highly customizable -- the system-on-a-chip is. The core itself can have auxilary processing modules attached but there are serious limitations on what can be added. Since the core is only 2-way superscalar, and slower than the G4's core at the same clock rate, it isn't appropriate for Apple use. If Moto had another core under development internally, that might be appropriate, but there has been a lot of indication for the last 7 months or so that Moto isn't working on such a core anymore.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    So many sources were saying that the G5 was going to ship at MWSF this year. That's so odd, it's almost as if the G5 WAS ready, and Apple killed it at the last minute for some reason or another. Perhaps they were tipped off to problems with scaling the chip by a Moto insider Whatever the case, there are so many reports that it's difficult to believe that they are all from the same bogus source.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>