iPhone 7 'Loop Disease' audio chip issue targeted in class action complaint

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    viclauyyc said:
    When I see reports like this, I don’t always think it is the problem of the manufacturer, in this case Apple, but rather it is American justice system. 

This is is no longer about consumer rights, it is all about blood sucking lawyers and lobbyists.

Hot coffee can’t be hot. Knife need a warning label about it will cut you open. It makes me wonder if gun manufacturers put warning on guns about it can kill people. But I guess it doesn’t matter.

Sorry for bad English.
    the coffee you speak of was exceeding hot. which is why it caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns. so that one was called for. and they could have saved a lot of money just paying the woman the money for her medical bills which was like 1/10th what she was awarded. 

as for this. if the issue was caused by Apple doing a shit job then they deserve to be sued. saying folks had a one year warranty shouldn't deal with the fact that Apple may not have done their proper QA testing when they designed it. we'll see how many devices, what serial runs etc come up. if this turns out to be a faction of the total units manufactured then it might not be design issue but rather an assembly issue, which is still on Apple but not as bad
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

lkrupp said:

And all those who did will get a five dollar iTunes coupon and the lawyers will get millions. Name a consumer class action where Apple actually had to cough up big bucks to consumers like getting a brand new device. Never happens. This lawsuit demands a recall. You think that will ever happen? I don’t.

what do you think all of those service programs are. most of them get announced right after rumors that someone might sue in a class action suit start. last big one what that whole iPhone battery thing where folks were going to sue cause they either didn't read or didn't understand the iOS update release notes to get the message that their phone could be slowed down to prevent shutdowns (this being a year after another program to replace a number of actually defective iPhone 6s batteries). and apple will probably do the whole 'send it to get the logic board replaced' like they did the iPhone 7.

if it goes to court, they'll pull out data to prove that it wasn't a design flaw cause tons of iPhone 7/7plus never had the issue and it's a manufacturing issue in a select batch. and then they will show that a ton of phones already had no boards put in for the service issue and with their new  'service program' a ton of folks had the audio already fixed for free and the rest have like 2 more years to do it. and they already refunded a ton of sound related out of warranty repairs under the new service program. so the class being forced to pay is really very small (and they'll likely whip out a bunch of other data showing that the paying was actually for damage etc). and it's done
  • Reply 43 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cpsro said:
    viclauyyc said:
    When I see reports like this, I don’t always think it is the problem of the manufacturer, in this case Apple, but rather it is American justice system. 

This is is no longer about consumer rights, it is all about blood sucking lawyers and lobbyists.

Hot coffee can’t be hot. Knife need a warning label about it will cut you open. It makes me wonder if gun manufacturers put warning on guns about it can kill people. But I guess it doesn’t matter.

Sorry for bad English.
    Let me guess: you didn't spend $1K on an iPhone 7 and have this problem happen to you?
    And you sue Apple for a $10 gift Apple Store card in the end? How is that gonna help you? 
  • Reply 44 of 52
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Solder joints fracture from bending. Hmm... I didn’t know people were supposed to bend their phones. I’m wondering how many of the “defective” phones were dropped or sat on.
    The iPhone motherboards are screwed into the chasis. So every time you drop or throw  your device(7) the board flexes. The audio IC chip is a large chip & due to its size when it flexes ,it’s connection with the board gets loose. This can happen due to regular use & because  used the same board design they used in the 6 & 6S. I thank Jessa Jones for helping me understand the issue clearly.
    Soli
  • Reply 45 of 52
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    Solder joints fracture from bending. Hmm... I didn’t know people were supposed to bend their phones. I’m wondering how many of the “defective” phones were dropped or sat on.
    The iPhone motherboards are screwed into the chasis. So every time you drop or throw  your device(7) the board flexes. The audio IC chip is a large chip & due to its size when it flexes ,it’s connection with the board gets loose. This can happen due to regular use & because  used the same board design they used in the 6 & 6S. I thank Jessa Jones for helping me understand the issue clearly.
    Jessa is amazing, her videos are worth watching.  If there was ever a case for 3rd party repairs - she's it.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    I think one of the things that made this issue get more attention was at the start of this issue happening, Apple was replacing some devices in order to find out what was happening. After they discovered what the issue was after several months of replacing phones, they stopped and their direction was to inform customers that the issue would require a paid replacement. 

Since any type of special circumstances where Apple replaces devices for free posts everywhere online, customers were aware. 
    Problem was, by the time it was all over the internet, Apple had stopped replacing the phones for free. Their explanation was it only affected a small number of phones and some of the devices they collected had other issues not relating to the one they were looking for. 

If you look at this issue and pretty much every issue Apple has had in the past year, one of the problems is Apple’s communication. They think by keeping important information internal, they protect the brand the customer, when usually, they come off as secretive and sneaky. 

Apple by far is it’s own worst enemy. If it was more forthcoming by informing the public that they are looking into an issue and have an adequate, and timely follow up explanation of what happened, why it happened, and why they may or may not cover the replacement cost, they would have had less PR and legal issues. 
    Soli
  • Reply 47 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Electronic devices don’t get “diseases”. The idiots who coined this phrase are propagandists.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    Came back from Apple Store yesterday and traded in iPhone 7 for iPhone XR. Apple employees are aware of the audio input/output issue in iPhone 7. So the issue is not effecting the value of iPhone 7. Tips: if your iPhone screen has crack, it drastically reduces the value. Get it fix outside first before trade in. Apple charges $130 to fix the screen. I fixed mine in the nearby mall for $70. My iPhone 7 (256GB) valued at $250.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 49 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Electronic devices don’t get “diseases”. The idiots who coined this phrase are propagandists.
    So then you'd never use the term computer virus?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 52
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    viclauyyc said:

Sorry for bad English.
    the coffee you speak of was exceeding hot. which is why it caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns. so that one was called for. 
    No it wasn't called for.  That remains true even if we feel bad (and rightfully so) for the lady affected, just like I feel bad for people who get bad sunburns, or who get in car accidents, or who eat too much and get fat.  Life is hard, but that doesn't mean we ought to sue over it.

I hate suing of any kind.  Maybe I wouldn't if Americans we're so stupidly litigious, but the sue-happy nutcases are too plenteous for me to see merit in their actions in court.

With regard to the article, it does look like Apple was in the wrong here.  And goodness knows they screwed up royally on 2009 through 2013 iMacs with regard to their video card, such that people need to bake them bake to life again.  I am one of those affected users.  But what did I do?  Sue?  Ha!  I made a video of my video card baking experience so as to help others fix their own problems.  Sure I lay blame on Apple and am unhappy.  But what differentiates me and all those who are helped by my YouTube video card baking video is that WE DON'T SUE.  It doesn't matter if we have "the right" to sue or not.  Turning the other cheek and pressing forward in life is what is needed.  And admittedly, someone badly burned by coffee may not be able to press forward in life that easily, especially with medical bills.  But some bad things that happen to us in life are worse than others.  You can't and shouldn't sue over every bad thing that comes your way, not matter how pathetic you may look and no matter how much public sympathy may result when they hear of your case.

But the way, my father was burned by a very hot drink decades ago when I was a child.  My baby brother was sitting on his lap and thankfully wasn't hit by the spilled drink, but it fell onto his crotch, and my baby brother ended up being airborne as a result.  He thankfully was not injured.  But my father was taken to the emergency room and had some major work done on that burn.  Did he sue somebody?  No.  It was a very terrible accident.  But the keyword was "accident" and one that he recognized happened because he either bumped the drink or put it in a place that wasn't idea.  In any case, hot drinks very much hit home with me and my family, yet we did not sue.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    jdw said:
    viclauyyc said:

Sorry for bad English.
    the coffee you speak of was exceeding hot. which is why it caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns. so that one was called for. 
    No it wasn't called for.  That remains true even if we feel bad (and rightfully so) for the lady affected, just like I feel bad for people who get bad sunburns, or who get in car accidents, or who eat too much and get fat.  Life is hard, but that doesn't mean we ought to sue over it.

I hate suing of any kind.  Maybe I wouldn't if Americans we're so stupidly litigious, but the sue-happy nutcases are too plenteous for me to see merit in their actions in court.

With regard to the article, it does look like Apple was in the wrong here.  And goodness knows they screwed up royally on 2009 through 2013 iMacs with regard to their video card, such that people need to bake them bake to life again.  I am one of those affected users.  But what did I do?  Sue?  Ha!  I made a video of my video card baking experience so as to help others fix their own problems.  Sure I lay blame on Apple and am unhappy.  But what differentiates me and all those who are helped by my YouTube video card baking video is that WE DON'T SUE.  It doesn't matter if we have "the right" to sue or not.  Turning the other cheek and pressing forward in life is what is needed.  And admittedly, someone badly burned by coffee may not be able to press forward in life that easily, especially with medical bills.  But some bad things that happen to us in life are worse than others.  You can't and shouldn't sue over every bad thing that comes your way, not matter how pathetic you may look and no matter how much public sympathy may result when they hear of your case.

But the way, my father was burned by a very hot drink decades ago when I was a child.  My baby brother was sitting on his lap and thankfully wasn't hit by the spilled drink, but it fell onto his crotch, and my baby brother ended up being airborne as a result.  He thankfully was not injured.  But my father was taken to the emergency room and had some major work done on that burn.  Did he sue somebody?  No.  It was a very terrible accident.  But the keyword was "accident" and one that he recognized happened because he either bumped the drink or put it in a place that wasn't idea.  In any case, hot drinks very much hit home with me and my family, yet we did not sue.
    No offense, but did you saw the video posted earlier?
    Soli
  • Reply 52 of 52
    betotc94betotc94 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Here is a change.org petition http://chng.it/BRRsQM8rVF