Belkin BoostUp Power Bank 2K for Apple Watch offers up to 63 hours of charge

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2019
Belkin has added a new portable recharger to its BoostUp power accessory lineup, with the BoostUp Power Bank 2K for Apple Watch offering a way to top up the charge for the wearable device without requiring the use of Apple's own magnetic charger.

Made specifically for the Apple Watch and Mfi-certified, the BoostUp Power Bank 2K for Apple Watch has a built-in Apple Watch charging segment on one side, designed to fit Apple's smartwatch. Once connected, it acts just like a normal magnetic charger, with the Apple Watch receiving power while in position on the power bank.

The charging element is also positioned to one end, allowing the Apple Watch to be put on its side by standing the bank on one edge, enabling it to support nightstand mode. The unit measures 3.11 inches by 1.65 inches and 0.68 inches thick, and weighs in at 70 grams (2.5 ounces,) making it lightweight and useful for camping or weekends away from civilization.

Claimed to provide up to 63 hours of battery life for the Apple Watch, the power bank itself is recharged via micro USB, with a six-inch micro USB cable supplied with the bank. The 2,200mAh-capacity unit has a series of four indicators near to the micro USB port, used to show how much charge is remaining in the bank.

The charger is able to support all Apple Watch models, both 38mm and 42mm sizes. For added peace of mind, the unit is covered by a Belkin Connected Equipment Warranty, which will repair or replace devices connected to the charger that suffer electrically-caused damage, up to a value of $2,500.

Despite being a power bank, the unit is only capable of recharging the Apple Watch. It is not capable of providing power to other hardware via its Micro USB port, and has no other outputs, making it limited to only providing power to the wearable device.

The Belkin BoostUp Charge Power Bank 2K for Apple Watch is priced at $59.99 from Belkin directly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Why not make it 10000 mah and useful as a powerbank for you phone and your watch. I’m unimpressed if the size to capacity ratio. 
    chiabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 8
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    ...and micro-USB instead of USB-C is also outdated. Better to use a shirt 30 cm charging cable and a normal power bank. 
    rweschiaEric_WVGG
  • Reply 3 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Able to support all Apple Watch models between 38mm and 42mm in size. For added piece of mind, the unit is covered by a Belkin Connected Equipment Warranty, which will repair or replace devices connected to the charger that suffer electrically-caused damage, up to the value of $2,500. 
    Only up to $2,500? 

This is an outrage, and obviously not the right product for me.

I don't feel comfortable using this with my $10,000 Apple Watch Edition, as it won't be fully covered.

Hard pass. I will be looking for something else, preferably diamond encrusted and sprinkled with finely ground unobtanium crystals.
    edited May 2019 steveaubeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 8
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Why not make it 10000 mah and useful as a powerbank for you phone and your watch. I’m unimpressed if the size to capacity ratio. 
    There's an older 6700mAh Valet model that serves that purpose.

This is about the size of a pair of AA batteries plus the puck, and likely uses a pair of 14500 cells.

It would be difficult to get any smaller given the rated capacity, using standard cylindrical cells.  A custom Li-Po cell might make it easier, but adds to the cost.  This thing is already $60 retail.

The cost of MFAW pucks makes it difficult to create and market accessories that incorporate them.  Most users are satisfied with the bundled cable and that makes it even harder.  Non-MFAW chargers can be hit or miss, and cheap for a reason.

The obvious solution would be for Apple to open up and make Watch charging compatible with any Qi charger, but it's happy with the racket it has.
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hayesiehayesie Posts: 1member
    Belkin's website say's it's compatible with the Apple Watch Series 4. Specifically stating that it supports 38mm and 42mm Apple Watches seems to imply that it doesn't work with the larger Series 4 model, which comes in at 44mm. (The smaller Series 4 is 40mm.)

Is that what you found? Or can you edit the article to simply state, "Able to support all Apple Watch models."? Looking at the design, I don't see why it wouldn't work with the slightly thicker Series 4.

edited May 2019 chia
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Micro-USB needs to die.
    rwesStrangeDayschiaEric_WVGG
  • Reply 7 of 8
    just make a keychain size charge cable and we can use our own power banks. We all have 5 or 6.
    fastasleepsteveau
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    samdaviss said:
    just make a keychain size charge cable and we can use our own power banks. We all have 5 or 6.
    I agree. Just use any power bank and the charger included with the watch, or with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Ksera-Compatible-Portable-Non-overheated-Cimpatable/dp/B07R14D5W8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1E6KPWR3QTR62&keywords=charger+for+apple+watch+4&qid=1557749332&s=gateway&sprefix=Charger+for+Apple+watch%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1