Huawei founder opposes Chinese retaliation against Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,945member

shompa said:
    Since I live in the area: The REAL reason why there is campaign against Apple in SEA is Tim and his politics and values that are not shared in the area. I understand that the US media tries to brainwash the people that Apple looses marketshare because of "boycott" against "maniac Trump". Nope. It is Tim. The wast majority in SEA can't simply support Tims values that are not normal. Apples CEO should NEVER talk politics or form the whole Apple company after his values that are not normal for 190 countries in the world. Tim, like most of his kind, can't accept that other cultures and people do not share his values. (that is why diversity is the opposite since only "the right" values are accepted. "right values" that changes due to time/culture. Kids today will understand this when they are 40.-50 years old and their values are "wrong".
    So it’s about gays? That’s what you’re saying?
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,945member

Hmmm,   it looks like its American firms who are doing the spying, not the other way around:

FedEx diverted Asian shipments to its headquarters in Memphis:
    "The two packages sent on May 19 and May 20 from Tokyo, intended for Huawei in China, ended up in Memphis, Tennessee, the headquarters of the U.S. company, by May 23, according to images of FedEx tracking records shown to Reuters by Huawei."

While for other packages:
    "a FedEx customer service representative in Vietnam replied to their inquiry on May 22 when two expected packages did not arrive on time, saying: “Please be informed that FDX SG received notification from FDX US to hold and return the package to US. Hence, the shipment is not deliver to consignee and now being hold at FDX station and under process to RTS it (return to sender),”

Sounds like the Trump administration is getting a little desperate to pin something -- anything -- on Huawei to support their, so far, unsupported claims.  Even doing what it is accusing China of doing:   Using its corporations to spy on others.
    You try so hard, please your heart. 
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,867member

Hmmm,   it looks like its American firms who are doing the spying, not the other way around:

FedEx diverted Asian shipments to its headquarters in Memphis:
    "The two packages sent on May 19 and May 20 from Tokyo, intended for Huawei in China, ended up in Memphis, Tennessee, the headquarters of the U.S. company, by May 23, according to images of FedEx tracking records shown to Reuters by Huawei."

While for other packages:
    "a FedEx customer service representative in Vietnam replied to their inquiry on May 22 when two expected packages did not arrive on time, saying: “Please be informed that FDX SG received notification from FDX US to hold and return the package to US. Hence, the shipment is not deliver to consignee and now being hold at FDX station and under process to RTS it (return to sender),”

Sounds like the Trump administration is getting a little desperate to pin something -- anything -- on Huawei to support their, so far, unsupported claims.  Even doing what it is accusing China of doing:   Using its corporations to spy on others.
    You try so hard, please your heart. 
    No need to try hard.

The US has a long history of spying on others and thanks to Snowden we know Huawei was a victim.

I can live with the realities of spying and understand it but if you plunk lines like this into the debate:

"How you apologists can be cool with all that exposes the true intellectual dishonesty. '

You are simply digging a hole for yourself. 

The US got panicked by China moving ahead on technology and world influence and decided to throw a wobbly by going against the 'rules' as we have known them for years. This has set a dangerous precedent which puts everyone in uncharted territory.

No one knows how things will play out. All we know is that we will all pay a price and that, in spite of the 'America must win' attitude, America might not actually win at all.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 28
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    chadbag said:
    john f. said:
    At least he's honest.
    Yes, and he has integrity.   It is the magic sauce in almost every successful self-built business -- from Carnegie Steel through to Apple.

A current day analogy is Musk's Tesla:   You may not like what they make -- but you know what you're buying.  Tesla stands for something and, while tactics may change and problems may arise, that commitment never wavers.

Using “Elon Musk” and “integrity” in the same sentence is laughable.   Every other word Elon says is meant to distract, conflate, deflect, or otherwise keep people from seeing and knowing the truth about Tesla.  “$420” and “funding secured” anyone?  Just the most obvious out of a whole bunch of things he has said recently.  
    A lot of Musk haters around here.  Reminds me of the mid-2000s when the WinTel world was hating on Jobs.  I just don’t get it.  He’s the one guy out there who, like Jobs, is bucking the establishment and working to remake entire industries.  PayPal, Spacex, The Boring Company, SolarCity, Tesla, and a couple other small enterprises I’ve forgotten.  What is the hate about?  Sounds like a personal problem.
    edited May 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    shompa said:
    Since I live in the area: The REAL reason why there is campaign against Apple in SEA is Tim and his politics and values that are not shared in the area. I understand that the US media tries to brainwash the people that Apple looses marketshare because of "boycott" against "maniac Trump". Nope. It is Tim. The wast majority in SEA can't simply support Tims values that are not normal. Apples CEO should NEVER talk politics or form the whole Apple company after his values that are not normal for 190 countries in the world. Tim, like most of his kind, can't accept that other cultures and people do not share his values. (that is why diversity is the opposite since only "the right" values are accepted. "right values" that changes due to time/culture. Kids today will understand this when they are 40.-50 years old and their values are "wrong".

To some degree we all see the world through our own set of lenses.  This is true even when that world is very different than we imagine.

Your implied assumption that South East Asia is one single homogeneous culture is a bit out of step with reality.  I know because I married someone from that region of the world.  South East Asia encompasses a great diversity of cultures and beliefs, many of which are highly incompatible with your own.  You need to get out more.

edited May 2019 tmaybadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    JWSC said:
    chadbag said:
    john f. said:
    At least he's honest.
    Yes, and he has integrity.   It is the magic sauce in almost every successful self-built business -- from Carnegie Steel through to Apple.

A current day analogy is Musk's Tesla:   You may not like what they make -- but you know what you're buying.  Tesla stands for something and, while tactics may change and problems may arise, that commitment never wavers.

Using “Elon Musk” and “integrity” in the same sentence is laughable.   Every other word Elon says is meant to distract, conflate, deflect, or otherwise keep people from seeing and knowing the truth about Tesla.  “$420” and “funding secured” anyone?  Just the most obvious out of a whole bunch of things he has said recently.  
    A lot of Musk haters around here.  Reminds me of the mid-2000s when the WinTel world was hating on Jobs.  I just don’t get it.  He’s the one guy out there who, like Jobs, is bucking the establishment and working to remake entire industries.  PayPal, Spacex, The Boring Company, SolarCity, Tesla, and a couple other small enterprises I’ve forgotten.  What is the hate about?  Sounds like a personal problem.
    Musk is a well revealed con artist, but, knock yourself out backing him with your personal fortune.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    chadbag said:
    john f. said:
    At least he's honest.

Musk is a well revealed con artist, but, knock yourself out backing him with your personal fortune.
    Oh dude, that’s almost as whacky and disconnected from reality as a GBM comment.  But you’re entitled to your opinion.

Speaking of personal fortunes, have you noticed that every time Wall Street pronounces Tesla on the verge of death, somehow, miraculously, hundreds of millions of dollars pour into Tesla saving it from certain death.  Tesla has a lot of believers out there with personal fortunes.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    chadbag said:
    john f. said:
    At least he's honest.

Oh dude, that’s almost as whacky and disconnected from reality as a GBM comment.  But you’re entitled to your opinion.

Speaking of personal fortunes, have you noticed that every time Wall Street pronounces Tesla on the verge of death, somehow, miraculously, hundreds of millions of dollars pour into Tesla saving it from certain death.  Tesla has a lot of believers out there with personal fortunes.
    Uhm, yeah, I have noticed, as a matter of fact. Hence, my comment.

Tesla is a great, or was a great, story stock, but sales have dived, service and quality is, relative to "legacy" automakers, awful, and Musk is back pushing cost cutting. 

The difference this time, is that tax credits are halved, and will end this year for Tesla, barring renewal by Congress, which is unlikely, and Tesla's energy credits aren't as valuable as they were. Tesla just isn't a great auto manufacturer.