iPhone's global marketshare drops in March quarter as Chinese rivals remain ascendant

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,390member
    badmonk said:
    gatorguy said:
    kevin kee said:
    Funny that in reality everywhere I go I see people mostly use iPhone. There are a few possibilities of why this is the case:
    1. People don't upgrade their old iPhone as often
    2. People don't use their non-iPhone as often (unlikely)
    3. Geographic (developed countries vs developing, city vs urban, etc.)
    4. Demographic (young vs old)
    5. The numbers are inaccurate (most likely) or somebody lies about the number (unlikely)

I made the comment quite some time back and I'd repeat the same today: I rarely see an Apple Watch in the wild. In fact I don't recall the last time I saw one. 

That does not mean they aren't all around me. Based on sales they must be.
    I'm not looking for them, smartwatches don't interest me anyway, and there's nothing about an Apple Watch that seems to attract my attention. You not seeing anything but iPhones could be your equivalent to my Apple Watch blindness. 

I remember back years ago I was so excited to choose what I thought at the time must be a new on the lot rare forest green metallic Jeep Grand Cherokee. The week after we bought it we saw at least another 3 or 4 while puttering about. I just hadn't ever looked for them before but they were there.
    Gator, you need to take a walk in a hospital, They are very common among healthcare workers, especially among younger anesthetists, practitioners and nurses.  It allows them to screen text messages for importance rather than taking iPhones out of pockets and purses.

They are very busy and need to minimize interruptions.
    You surely saw written why I wasn't seeing them. I guarantee if I walked thru a hospital I'd see no more of them than I do now unless I was was presupposed to notice. You on the other hand are inclined to see them, while other things you pass get no notice from you at all.

I'd nearly guarantee that more then once you've noticed something along your drive to work that's been there for months yet you never noticed until that day, maybe even wondered "how long has that been there?". 

StrangeDays is just being curmudgeonly as usual IMO, while I think you have the thoughtfulness to understand why two people walking side by side take notice of different things. 
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Marketshare is irrelevant. Profits are relevant.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,903member
    Marketshare is irrelevant. Profits are relevant.
    I think both are relevant for obvious reasons. The more share of the market you have, the more options you have. If you are trying to increase revenues leveraging services and accessories you have a certain level of dependency on the devices that form the springboard for those other revenue streams. Today that is still iPhone.

Even if the iPhone itself wanes to insignificant levels at some point and they switch to a services based model, marketshare will still also be relevant.

Of course doing everything at a loss doesn't make much sense so profits are important too.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 25
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cropr said:
    kevin kee said:
    Funny that in reality everywhere I go I see people mostly use iPhone. There are a few possibilities of why this is the case:
    5. The numbers are inaccurate (most likely) or somebody lies about the number (unlikely)

Maybe you should  not extrapolate your neighborhood to the whole world.  There are a lot of developed, high income countries where the market share of iPhones is below 15%. 
    I didn't actually extrapolate anything but merely mentioning what I observe. I even explained one of the possible reasons is geographic.

gatorguy said:
    kevin kee said:

I made the comment quite some time back and I'd repeat the same today: I rarely see an Apple Watch in the wild. In fact I don't recall the last time I saw one. 

That does not mean they aren't all around me. Based on sales they must be.
    I'm not looking for them, smartwatches don't interest me anyway, and there's nothing about an Apple Watch that seems to attract my attention. You not seeing anything but iPhones could be your equivalent to my Apple Watch blindness. 

I remember back years ago I was so excited to choose what I thought at the time must be a new on the lot rare forest green metallic Jeep Grand Cherokee. The week after we bought it we saw at least another 3 or 4 while puttering about. I just hadn't ever looked for them before but they were there.
    Yes, I get where you are coming from, but that's not what happened. It's not hard for me to notice if Androids were everywhere but that's not the case. Believe me, I counted. Interestingly, most people are holding older iPhones more than any Androids combined. Unfortunately, this might not be good news to Apple because I don't see many of their latest models in the wild.
    edited May 2019