Editorial: China's retaliatory 'unreliable supplier' list will hit Windows, Android the ha...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    I just wonder if Trump voters will experience a similar turnaround when it come to voting next year.
    I am from India and I have a bad news for you and other Trump haters (only group where DED and Avon would be together I guess) in this forum. Trump is going to win again if the trend in Indian elections are anything to go by. Right wing extremism has its own attraction and majority of people do fall for it until the destruction of such a policy impacts critical mass negatively. And it takes time for that to happen.

In my own country, right wing extremists won this year's elections AGAIN with even higher majority than the previous time (2014, we have elections once in 5 years here in India). Even in my wildest dream, I didn't imagine them to win with such a majority. People need to "learn" the same lessons again and again it seems. So let us brace ourselves for more collateral damage in the coming days. 
  • Reply 62 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    A quick incision on Brexit as I know the subject inside out.

The people were fed lies by the leave campaign and the leave campaign used dubious methods to scrape a victory out of everything.

The whole referendum was a shambles from beginning to end. Right from the act of parliament that governed it through to the voter limitations.

Sixteen and seventeen year olds were denied a say. These are the people with a lot to lose from Brexit. They were allowed to vote in the Scottish independence referendum. Many expats were denied a say and (of those) who live within the EU (with arguably more to lose than anyone alse) it would have been enough to secure a remain victory.

When Theresa May speaks of the will of the people she is much mistaken because so many were not allowed to participate.

Another aspect is that the referendum was advisory (not binding) which has brought its own problems and no provision was made for a virtual split decision. Such wholesale upheaval should be provided for in a 60/40 spread.

With poor acts of parliament surrounding the vote and so many people (with funding) prepared to lie at every turn on the campaign trail it wasn't hard to fill the heads of certain groups of people with anti EU sentiment. People who have reaped the rewards of forming part of the EU for decades and not even been aware of it. Something which led some very poor areas which had been completely regenerated using EU money to vote Brexit!

Ignorance is bliss but with 'comfort' comes laziness and the 'vote leave campaigners' had a field day with the ignorant people of Britain.

My own family, with the sole exception of my brother swallowed the lies right up to the vote. They all very much regret their decision and are very bitter towards anyone who represented the leave campaign.

Seeing what has happened since and what we know about the leave campaign itself I very much doubt Leave would win a second referendum. If EU expats and 16/17 year olds are given a vote, I'm sure Remain would earn itself a healthy winning margin.

I just wonder if Trump voters will experience a similar turnaround when it come to voting next year.
    Yes, that is all true.  But two things:
    -- In addition to the lies and propaganda spread by the Leaver's, Russia apparently had a hand in swaying the outcome as well -- just as in the U.S. in 2016 (and 2020).
    -- That is why the conservatives are working so very hard to block a second referendum despite millions demanding just that:  They know that there is no way they can win when the people base their decisions and votes on facts rather than lies and propaganda.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I am from India and I have a bad news for you and other Trump haters (only group where DED and Avon would be together I guess) in this forum. Trump is going to win again if the trend in Indian elections are anything to go by. Right wing extremism has its own attraction and majority of people do fall for it until the destruction of such a policy impacts critical mass negatively. And it takes time for that to happen.

In my own country, right wing extremists won this year's elections AGAIN with even higher majority than the previous time (2014, we have elections once in 5 years here in India). Even in my wildest dream, I didn't imagine them to win with such a majority. People need to "learn" the same lessons again and again it seems. So let us brace ourselves for more collateral damage in the coming days. 
    Yes, you are very correct in your prediction.
    Extremist agendas (whether far left or far right) are the easiest to sell because they only ever present part of the truth -- they promise great things but never mention the drawbacks.

Here Trump's war on China is a good example:   He says that he will bring jobs back to the American people and, even assuming that that is true (which it isn't), the prices people pay for their goods would rise far more than any wage increases.  But he never mentions that part.

But, in addition, as far as being re-elected:   We know that U.S. voting system are vulnerable to hacking.  Touch Screen machines can be easily hacked but never audited, verified or recounted.   And, we know that our voting systems were attacked by Russia in 2016 and will be again in 2020.   But for some reason we have done nothing -- zero -- to protect our election systems from further attacks.   There can be only one reason for that negligence.
    muthuk_vanalingam