Don't risk your Mac or its data just to try out the macOS Catalina beta

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Yes, it's extremely tempting, and you can't have left this year's WWDC keynote without wanting to get macOS Catalina immediately. Yet the risks of using major beta software are always great -- and this year, they are much worse.

Photo: keyboard and Apple logo by William Gallagher. Brick by Andrew Lister
Photo: keyboard and Apple logo by William Gallagher. Brick by Andrew Lister

Editor's note: We ran this piece just after the developer betas for Catalina shipped. Now that the public beta has launched, it seems prudent to do so again. While you can set up an APFS container or run the drive on an external, that is no guarantee that the beta won't reach across to your non-beta partition, and cause problems there as well should something go terribly awry. That happened from time to time in early Mojave betas, and it can happen on Catalina too.

And, as a point of fact, Apple is still advising most users to not run the beta.

We've all ignored this advice before, but for once, don't go near the macOS 10.15 beta when Apple releases it now for developers, or later for the public. This is by no means a criticism of 10.15, and it is of course entirely because all beta software is risky. Yet this time, it's much more dangerous to your data than usual.

That's because some of the problems you are definitely going to hit are not chance bugs that Apple will address in a further beta update. Some of them are going to be problems that will never be fixed.

For among the many new features and benefits that we now know macOS 10.15 is going to bring us, there is the fact that it is taking away 32-bit apps. Developers have had years of warning, and so have we all, but this is it.

When you install macOS 10.15, your older 32-bit apps will cease to work at all.

Some 32-bit app developers will have waited until now to do anything about it. So you can be quite sure that some will update their apps to work with the new macOS 10.15. Only, give them a chance.

And we also refer you to this business of them being warned the end was coming for years and years. The ability to make a 64-bit app has literally been available for over a decade.

It's not just 32-bit apps

If you've already checked to see which 32-bit apps you had, and if you've replaced them with 64-bit ones, still don't do it.

Unless you are a developer, there is no practical reason to install any beta of macOS at all. Even though there are excellent new features and we all want them right now, those same features are unlikely to be in quite their final form. If nothing else, the final release of macOS is likely to perform much better and faster than its beta ones.

Software Update is now part of System Preferences where it should be. That doesn't mean you should use it yet.
Software Update is now part of System Preferences where it should be. That doesn't mean you should use it yet.

Remember that while we tend to regard beta software as an early peek at new features, the entire purpose of them is really to find problems. The hope is that by having hundreds of thousands of people trying out the software in real-world jobs, Apple will discover problems that it can then fix ahead of the final release.

We can all be grateful to those people, but that doesn't mean we have to be one of them.

On the money

Much as we like the sound of macOS 10.15, the fact is that what we like most is using our Macs. These are the tools that we use for our work and they are the tools that we enjoy.

We won't enjoy them quite so much if the tools break during a beta. If a problem comes up as you're using a beta of macOS, you will surely lose the data you're working on at that moment. You may also lose all your locally-saved data, depending on the problem.

And while it's unlikely, especially when Apple brings out the public beta, it is literally possible to make your Mac cease working. You've heard the stories of beta software bricking Apple Watches, breaking them so badly that Apple ultimately replaced them.

And, if you have a problem with your Mac that requires talking to Apple about it, they won't help you until you roll back to macOS 10.14 or earlier.

Macs are better

There is less chance of a Mac being bricked because of a problem, and that's partly because of how you could prepare for it. You've picked up on the subtle inference here that we know you shouldn't use beta software, but there will be people who do. There will be people who partition their Mac storage in order to create a separately bootable drive and let them try the new beta out.

Let them.

At the very best, you end up going to all this trouble in order to protect your current Mac setup and your current work, when you could do the same thing by just not installing the beta.

At the worst, you might be using a different bootable drive, you might be working with a beta and different copies of your app, but you could still be using the same data. You could still be exposing that data to the same risk of corruption.

Resist.
Resist.

And if you're not, if you even went to the trouble of making a duplicate of all your data first, now you're just going to end up confused. You'll have two sets of your documents and won't be sure whether the changes you just made were on the safe macOS 10.14 side, or have just been corrupted on 10.15.

There is another way

We'll install the beta so you don't have to. We won't put it on our main working Macs, either. We've already got certain Macs set aside to the job. Then we'll examine and test each new update to the betas all the way from now until the public release around September.

By the time that release is public, you will know precisely whether macOS 10.15 is worth upgrading to and exactly what it will give you. All without risking mission-critical work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Momma always says, “Stupid is as stupid does.” Anyone who installs a beta on their main working system is de facto nominated for a Darwin Award.
    watto_cobraRayz2016macseeker
  • Reply 2 of 30
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I guess this will be the first year I don’t upgrade Mac OS at general release. A lot of my apps, especially the expensive games, are still 32bit.
    planetary paul
  • Reply 3 of 30
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    This is not anything I would subscribe to.

First, always back up your data and have a backup on a DETACHABLE drive. That way you can restore what is lost in a worst case scenario.
    Second, buy an inexpensive USB 3 or Thunderbolt drive and run the beta on that drive.

Problem solved.
    dewme
  • Reply 4 of 30
    davgreg said:

First, always back up your data and have a backup on a DETACHABLE drive. That way you can restore what is lost in a worst case scenario.
    Second, buy an inexpensive USB 3 or Thunderbolt drive and run the beta on that drive.

Problem solved.
    The admonition from AI is for the general public.  For those who are less than versed in the world of the beta, but have an excitement about trying the latest and greatest.  There are many, many, many more of those Apple fans than there are Apple fans like you.  For those people, AI's PSA is the right thing at the right time... when the new new is at it fevered pitch at introduction.  100% guarantee.  Some of those people are going to install the beta anyway, and on their only mac.  When it inevitably goes sideways, they're going to blame Apple, and not their rash decision to install beta software.  It always happens.   AI is right.  Most people should stay far away from betas.  
    lkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Mr.EezeMr.Eeze Posts: 1member
    This was hands down the worst beta I've ever tested. Unstable, unpredictable, awful, just awful. Even if they make it right and restore your system to sanity, you will miss iTunes A LOT. 
  • Reply 6 of 30
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    davgreg said:

This is exactly what I do.  There's still a risk that it could corrupt the Firmware settings on your Mac, which is why using an entirely separate machine is best, but that's typically easier to recover from than hard drive corruption.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    The public beta plus the 32 bit restriction is going to make the internet explode. The Apple Discussion Forums are already rife with “how do I downgrade” cries on a daily basis even without the public beta out there. Computer illiterates doing things that screw up their installations are a major component of the forums. And they ALWAYS, ALWAYS blame Apple.
    edited June 2019 Rayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 30
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Great beta! Except... All my files on the desktop are gone... They have been moved in the "Desktop Folder" on iCloud... At first I panicked. But I like my new clean desktop (even if, I admit, grouping them was already much better).

So yes, installing beta can give you more than one problem...

• Reply 9 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    saarek said:
    I guess this will be the first year I don’t upgrade Mac OS at general release. A lot of my apps, especially the expensive games, are still 32bit.
    Heck Steam itself is still 32bit!

I'm using a dedicated 2019 MBP and so far so good.  One thing make damn sure you don't allow any Catalina Mac's Photos to connect to your iCloud or it will update it and lock out all Mojave Macs you own.  I wish Apple had a way around this so we can test Photos libraries and iCloud features in general on the cloud e.g. a duplicate cloud version for Catalina during beta phases.  I am interested to see how the currently daft way we have to use iTunes to serve albums in Photos using HomeSharing to an Apple TV, it's not exactly intuitive. Or how HomePods linked to an Apple TV can't play audio using Airplay from a Mac that's sending video to that same Apple TV.  It's audio or video but not both that I can see.  The only work around is using WiFi and the Computer app on the Apple TV after moving a video into Photos itself and that no longer works in Catalina so far.  If anyone has solutions to any of this I am all ears.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 10 of 30
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I won't be installing any of the Catalina betas, but in preparation for it I do notice that many chunks of the Adobe CC system aren't 64-bit. Not the main CC apps themselves, but the supporting pieces and parts. I'd assume that Adobe are savvy enough to get that sorted by the time Catalina 15.0 is released this fall, but it's a biggie for a lot of Mac users.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    neilm said:
    I won't be installing any of the Catalina betas, but in preparation for it I do notice that many chunks of the Adobe CC system aren't 64-bit. Not the main CC apps themselves, but the supporting pieces and parts. I'd assume that Adobe are savvy enough to get that sorted by the time Catalina 15.0 is released this fall, but it's a biggie for a lot of Mac users.
    One can but hope they are top of this but it is worrisome.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    Momma always says, “Stupid is as stupid does.” Anyone who installs a beta on their main working system is de facto nominated for a Darwin Award.
    I do it, but then again I know what can potentially happen and I'm not going to go around bitching about how Apple broke my Mac either. I know what I'm getting myself into and are prepared to reformat and start over again (which is no big deal to me). 
  • Reply 13 of 30

lkrupp said:
    The public beta plus the 32 bit restriction is going to make the internet explode. The Apple Discussion Forums are already rife with “how do I downgrade” cries on a daily basis even without the public beta out there. Computer illiterates doing things that screw up their installations are a major component of the forums. And they ALWAYS, ALWAYS blame Apple.
    Yes its always Apple's fault...NEVER the developer who has had around 10yrs to make their app 64-bit. Now that its down to the end and its still not done its Apple's fault! 
    MacPro
  • Reply 14 of 30

davgreg said:

Problem solved.

You could also make a separate partition if your HD is large enough...doesn't have to be huge. Maybe just enough to experience it and use it for beta testing purposes. 
  • Reply 15 of 30
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    macxpress said:

You could also make a separate partition if your HD is large enough...doesn't have to be huge. Maybe just enough to experience it and use it for beta testing purposes. 
    Even a separate partition can still be affected, if the beta software misbehaves, which beta software is prone to do.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    ...or you could run it in a virtual machine, isolated from the host so it absolutely cannot touch your data...
  • Reply 17 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    How exactly does installing a beta on a consumer device lead to death or sterilization?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lmac said:
    macxpress said:

Even a separate partition can still be affected, if the beta software misbehaves, which beta software is prone to do.
    And you could be hit by a falling meteorite and killed while getting the mail… but it would be ridiculous to make such an unrealistically unlikely scenario out to be the most likely outcome, now wouldn't it.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    lmac said:
    macxpress said:

The same way an external HD would...kind of a ridiculous post if you ask me. The sun could also not come up tomorrow....
  • Reply 20 of 30
    macxpress said:
    lmac said:
    macxpress said:

The same way an external HD would...kind of a ridiculous post if you ask me. The sun could also not come up tomorrow....
    Actually the sun doesn’t come up. The Earth rotates to bring the sun into view. Unless you’re a flat earther. Then I don't know what happens. :D /s
    edited June 2019 dewmedjames4242