Apple posts list of iOS 13 and iPadOS compatible hardware

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    atomic101atomic101 Posts: 131member
    slurpy said:
    So Apple stopped selling iPhone 6 in Sept 2016.....forced obsolescence in 3 years is going to bring in Federal review...not smart.
    Oh, screw off. The 6 was released in 2014, and is ancient by smartphone standards, since speeds are essentially doubling every year. "Forced obsolescence"? You got 5 years of HUGE OS updates for the device. Tell me, what other smart phone on the PLANET gets that kind of support, apart from the iPhone? I'm assuming of course you're trolling and this does not personally affect you. I don't see how anyone in their right mind would expect the iPhone 6 to run iOS13 even reasonably. And not releasing any more updates does not equal "forced obsolescence". It will continue working just fine. What a trash post, lacking any real rationality, objectivity, or reason.
    This.  I can certainly agree with Apple keeping an admirable stance with OS updates.  I think this is especially true with the law of diminishing returns from a hardware standpoint.  RAM seems like the most likely culprit for the older devices being removed.  That being said, this is one of their well known trademarks of quality, and moving away from 5ish years of device support would receive an incredible amount of backlash.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    slurpy said:
    slurpy said:
    So Apple stopped selling iPhone 6 in Sept 2016.....forced obsolescence in 3 years is going to bring in Federal review...not smart.
    Oh, screw off. The 6 was released in 2014, and is ancient by smartphone standards, since speeds are essentially doubling every year. "Forced obsolescence"? You got 5 years of HUGE OS updates for the device. Tell me, what other smart phone on the PLANET gets that kind of support, apart from the iPhone? I'm assuming of course you're trolling and this does not personally affect you. I don't see how anyone in their right mind would expect the iPhone 6 to run iOS13 even reasonably. And not releasing any more updates does not equal "forced obsolescence". It will continue working just fine. What a trash post, lacking any real rationality, objectivity, or reason.
    True:   IF you bought in 2014
    Not so true:  IF you bought it in 2016
    What's your point? You bought a device that was released 2 years prior. By the end of the update cycle, you got much more than what advertised with the iPhone 6. Seems many of you are so naive as to how technology and software actually works. There's only so much optimization you can do, when a device doesn't even have a FRACTION of the power of newer devices, and you want to add compelling features that takes advantage of modern chipsets. It's not magic. The iPhone 6 is incredibly slow by today's standards, and it was not meant for iOS13 features and scope. So either a massive amount of features would be cut, or it would have very compromised performance. 

These aren't desktop chips that see incremental improvements each year, they are mobile chips that have massive leaps in power every generation. This was a reasonable decision, and if you have zero interest in having a phone newer than the 6, nor all the advantages that would being in every single respect, I don't see why you think you're entitled to every latest cutting edge OS feature. The iPhone 6 has horrible specs by today's standards, a very poor camera, slow wireless connectivity, etc. You're fine with that, yet you demand a software update that will be released at the end of 2019. This is utterly childish. Even if you bought the iPhone 6 at the very last day it was being sold, you still would have got 3 more solid years of updates and a shitload of new features. Not sure how you can scoff at that. If you really cared about the latest software features, why wouldn't you be willing to spend a bit of money, and get a 7 or even a 6S, which would both provide a huge leap of performance over yours? 
    Yep!  Those are all good, true reasons.

But the guy who just bought his phone 3 (or possibly) 2 years ago will still feel that Apple screwed him with a planned or premature obsolescence.   And, the pain may be even worse because he is likely a poor person who has to be very careful with his money.   He simply won't care about your reasons.

Apple needs to rethink this marketing scheme and obsoleting 2-3 year old phones.