Missouri senator asks Apple to offer full 'Do Not Track' option for iPhone & iPad apps

Posted:
in iPhone
Republican Senator Josh Hawley of Missouri has sent a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook, urging him to enable a "Do Not Track" option for iPhone and iPadOS apps, and not just in places like Safari.

iPadOS

Hawley wrote that he was "pleased" by tighter location-tracking controls introduced on Monday, but that Apple "can still do better," according to The Hill. This fall's iOS 13 will introduce a "just once" permission option. The company is also instituting mandatory logs for app location access, and bans on exploiting Wi-Fi and Bluetooth data for ad targeting.

With backing from Democrat Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Hawley is promoting a bill that would create a nationally-enforced "Do Not Track" registry. That would deter tech companies from collecting anything beyond essential data from Americans who sign up.

Hawley is also behind the "Protecting Children From Abusive Games Act," which would block sales of loot boxes to people under 18, along with "pay-to-win" purchases that give some customers an unfair advantage. Loot boxes are increasingly accused of encouraging gambling, since adults and children alike may have to buy several to get items they actually want.

That legislation would likely impact Apple's bottom line, since many popular App Store titles like "Candy Crush" and "Words With Friends" are "free-to-play" titles that in reality depend on loot boxes or pay-to-win mechanics to make money. This fall's Apple Arcade may help reduce dependence on exploitative apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I'm pretty sure Apple is working on that already. Sign In with Apple ID is the first step!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Missouri senator refuses to acknowlege Google.
    chasm
  • Reply 3 of 18
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    This is well meaning but fundamentally backwards.

Do No Track should be the default. Everyone should have the right to expect not to be tracked without signing up for anything!

The danger with this is that it implies that companies have a right to track unless users opt out - That is just backwards and absolutely wrong!
    AppleExposedjahbladeankeruserkestralgilly33
  • Reply 4 of 18
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Hopefully he will vote against any potential encryption backdoors as well.
    EsquireCats
  • Reply 5 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The present "Do Not Track" means nothing at all. It's a purely voluntary thing and the more it's ignored by companies the more others who had once honored it have no reason to continue doing so. If "Do Not Track" is going to be successful it needs to be legislated so that everyone is on the same page and obligated to support it. 
    chasmCarnagejony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Where’s the letter to Google? Oh wait, Google’s very existence depends on tracking so we can’t include Google, right?
    AppleExposedchasmjony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    Where’s the letter to Google? Oh wait, Google’s very existence depends on tracking so we can’t include Google, right?
    This was prompted by Apple's presentation yesterday was the way I read it, and using it as an opportunity to promote the "Do Not Track" bill he has co-sponsored. "Whaddabout Google" wasn't part of yesterday's event so why would it be mentioned in relationship to Apple? This had less to do with Apple and more to do with him qualifying the rationale behind his bill to legislate it. 
    edited June 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 8 of 18
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    This was prompted by Apple's presentation yesterday was the way I read it, and using it as an opportunity to promote the "Do Not Track" bill he has co-sponsored. "Whaddabout Google" wasn't part of yesterday's event so why would it be mentioned in relationship to Apple? This had less to do with Apple and more to do with his qualifying his bill to legislate it. 

It's like ignoring the thief while focusing on a man giving a presentation on security.
    chasmjony0
  • Reply 9 of 18
    robjn said:
    This is well meaning but fundamentally backwards.

Do No Track should be the default. Everyone should have the right to expect not to be tracked without signing up for anything!

The danger with this is that it implies that companies have a right to track unless users opt out - That is just backwards and absolutely wrong!

After watching WWDC yesterday I'm sure Apple has more privacy innovations in the works.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    This was prompted by Apple's presentation yesterday was the way I read it, and using it as an opportunity to promote the "Do Not Track" bill he has co-sponsored. "Whaddabout Google" wasn't part of yesterday's event so why would it be mentioned in relationship to Apple? This had less to do with Apple and more to do with his qualifying his bill to legislate it. 

It's like ignoring the thief while focusing on a man giving a presentation on security.
    More like "hey, since you mentioned it I have this bill I've introduced and maybe I can piggyback on your goodwill". 
    edited June 2019 chasmCarnage
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    This was prompted by Apple's presentation yesterday was the way I read it, and using it as an opportunity to promote the "Do Not Track" bill he has co-sponsored. "Whaddabout Google" wasn't part of yesterday's event so why would it be mentioned in relationship to Apple? This had less to do with Apple and more to do with him qualifying the rationale behind his bill to legislate it. 
    Does Google Android allow no track?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

More like "hey, since you mentioned it I have this bill I've introduced and maybe I can piggyback on your goodwill". 

Maybe you read it that way but to me it reads like "you aren't doing enough for me!" while ignoring the thief.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    gatorguy said:
    Truth -- but if Hawley is really interested in this stuff rather than just grandstanding and using Apple as a prop, where's the letter to Google? Oh wait.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 14 of 18
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Does Google Android allow no track?
    Of course Google allows "Do Not Track" tagging, both within Android and Chrome. 

Full disclosure: Even tho they offer it, and Google Tag Manager makes it easy to implement, Google for their part no longer honors those requests just as most websites and web services no longer do.  The good Senator's bill is actually a commendable idea IMHO. Otherwise "Do Not Track" is a wasted effort that makes users believe something is being done that is not. Even the creator of it suggests it be abandoned as it accomplishes nothing other than misleading those browser users toggling the setting.

If Apple were to implement it for iPhone and iPad apps it would simply be for making folks "feel good", like they've done something. In truth it's toothless. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    How about they focus on passing a bill to prevent me from getting five spam calls an hour and actually enforce it? These fraudulent robocalls have ruined telephone as a communication tool.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    chasm said:
    gatorguy said:
    Truth -- but if Hawley is really interested in this stuff rather than just grandstanding and using Apple as a prop, where's the letter to Google? Oh wait.  

Yeah my point. Gatorguy may be right but what about the elephant in the room?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    chasm said:
    gatorguy said:

Yeah my point. Gatorguy may be right but what about the elephant in the room?
    There's no elephant. "But Mommmm, Bobby did more than I did..."

In essence the Senator is using the occasion to say that if even the privacy-focused Apple isn't doing all they can then all the more reason to support his Federal legislation that puts  legal "toothy" mandates on controlling the practice. 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    These effing politicians.