Craig Federighi says iPadOS created because iPad is now a 'truly distinct experience'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I do not put much crediblity in Craig's words or anyone in Apple's leadership! The iPad Pro which I recently bought is an annoying piece of tech. Constantly rotating to landscape mode with no motivation. One port for charging and access. Impractical design. The demo of the great iPadOs was a bit suspect. The cut and paste functions seemed a bit confusing. I do not trust Apple anymore and will be selling my Apple devices because the quality just isn't there anymore and the software is suspect. I despise Tim Cook and the rest of Apple leadership. They do not listen to their customers.
    See ya!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    The capital P in iPadOS probably gave Gruber a heart attack. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    I do not put much crediblity in Craig's words or anyone in Apple's leadership! The iPad Pro which I recently bought is an annoying piece of tech. Constantly rotating to landscape mode with no motivation. One port for charging and access. Impractical design. The demo of the great iPadOs was a bit suspect. The cut and paste functions seemed a bit confusing. I do not trust Apple anymore and will be selling my Apple devices because the quality just isn't there anymore and the software is suspect. I despise Tim Cook and the rest of Apple leadership. They do not listen to their customers.
    Wow, the bots are getting more and more lifelike, eh?
    DoctorQmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I'm sure you're definitely a user of those products and not just someone pretending to be. After all you bring up such relevant points that a person would never have noticed prior to purchasing - like how it has just one port, or being confused by such hard to grasp gestures such as grab and drop.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    netrox said:
    Multiuser accounts are sorely needed for iPad... hopefully the next version will support it.
    I wish they could figure out how to have distinct personal identities when more than one person uses a single iCloud account.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    welshdog said:
    netrox said:
    Multiuser accounts are sorely needed for iPad... hopefully the next version will support it.
    I wish they could figure out how to have distinct personal identities when more than one person uses a single iCloud account.
    There's no reason multiple people should be using the same iCloud account. That's like sharing a driver's license.
    mattinozwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Having multiple accounts is a pain. It's just me and my wife, why can't the phones keep track of our identities when we use the same iCloud account. We share iTunes, we share the same email address, we share everything, but her phone thinks she's me. Or if I change the name on the account my phone thinks I'm her. It can't be that hard to let each device on an iCloud account keep it's owner/user's name straight.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    welshdog said:
    netrox said:
    There's no reason multiple people should be using the same iCloud account. That's like sharing a driver's license.
    My wife and each have an iCloud account, but we only use mine primarily to keep our contacts and photos shared and in sync. I haven't found an easy way to do that and the last time I asked at the Apple Store, they just scratched their head and said no, iOS can't do that.
    welshdog
  • Reply 29 of 33
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    MplsP said:
    welshdog said:
    netrox said:
    My wife and each have an iCloud account, but we only use mine primarily to keep our contacts and photos shared and in sync. I haven't found an easy way to do that and the last time I asked at the Apple Store, they just scratched their head and said no, iOS can't do that.
    You create a "shared", 3rd iCloud account (it's free).  You then configure it as a second iCloud account (in additional to your individual iCloud account) on both yours & your wife's device(s).  My wife & I use it to share a set of notes (shopping list?) & calendar events.

For photos, you should probably use the free Family iCloud config.  Members of the family can choose to share photos automatically with other family members.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 30 of 33
    welshdog said:
    Having multiple accounts is a pain. It's just me and my wife, why can't the phones keep track of our identities when we use the same iCloud account. We share iTunes, we share the same email address, we share everything, but her phone thinks she's me. Or if I change the name on the account my phone thinks I'm her. It can't be that hard to let each device on an iCloud account keep it's owner/user's name straight.
    Yeah, weird — it’s almost like Apple IDs are meant to be tied to single individuals. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33

nicholfd said:
    MplsP said:
    welshdog said:
    netrox said:
    You create a "shared", 3rd iCloud account (it's free).  You then configure it as a second iCloud account (in additional to your individual iCloud account) on both yours & your wife's device(s).  My wife & I use it to share a set of notes (shopping list?) & calendar events.

For photos, you should probably use the free Family iCloud config.  Members of the family can choose to share photos automatically with other family members.
    Hmm, you had the right answer for Photos, but for the rest you’re doing it wrong. 

Share your notes

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206987

You can do the same for Reminders lists.

iCloud: Share calendars in iCloud

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2690?locale=en_US

or if you’re using Family Sharing (as you probably should be):
    • Use the Family calendar. Open the Calendar app to add, view, or change events and reminders in the Family Calendar.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    MplsP said:
    This is a bit confusing - the iPad has had a 'distinct experience' for quite some time, with features and capabilities from the iPhone (and Mac.) Why bother changing the name? Unless they are planning on making the programming APIs completely separate from iOS. 

I really don't care what they call it, I hope they continue to improve and mature i(pad)OS to make workflows better and easier. There is a lot you can do on an iPad, it is just that it is frequently significantly more cumbersome and awkward than working on a Mac. Maybe chaining the name will also cut the imaginary cord between the iPad and the iPhone to make things easier? 
    Indeed even the first iPad has a special release of iOS for its original function. Finally why now? Seems to be the right question. 
    I think they only did it now so they can separate out apps suitable for cross over to Mac. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 33

nicholfd said:
    MplsP said:
    welshdog said:
    netrox said:

Hmm, you had the right answer for Photos, but for the rest you’re doing it wrong. 

Share your notes

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206987

You can do the same for Reminders lists.

iCloud: Share calendars in iCloud

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2690?locale=en_US

or if you’re using Family Sharing (as you probably should be):
    • Use the Family calendar. Open the Calendar app to add, view, or change events and reminders in the Family Calendar.

More complicated than it should be. Give people the option of sharing an account and just keep ther device identities unique. Which is so much cleaner.