Apple denied dismissal of 'unwieldy' dust filter class action lawsuit

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    If you add a dust filter and forget to clean it, it will be months if not weeks before a failure occurs. Then the customer will realise their error after the computer fails, then takes it back to Apple expecting a free repair. A dust filter will also reduce airflow, even when clean, so the fan will have to run more, generating more noise and consuming more power, and reducing battery life in portables. All sorts of pitfalls.
    Even the 2019 iMac was full of temperature sensors (one of the first to include HD temperature sensors). If temps rise unjustifiably there are plenty of ways to alert the user to the fact and nudge them to clean the hypothetical filter.

• Reply 42 of 46
    avon b7 said:
    If you add a dust filter and forget to clean it, it will be months if not weeks before a failure occurs. Then the customer will realise their error after the computer fails, then takes it back to Apple expecting a free repair. A dust filter will also reduce airflow, even when clean, so the fan will have to run more, generating more noise and consuming more power, and reducing battery life in portables. All sorts of pitfalls.
    Even the 2019 iMac was full of temperature sensors (one of the first to include HD temperature sensors). If temps rise unjustifiably there are plenty of ways to alert the user to the fact and nudge them to clean the hypothetical filter.

Nothing new. Even a 2013 Mac is full of temperature sensors. But of course if they aren't nudged, Apple will be repairing 1000s of Macs for free under warranty within the first year of purchase.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    avon b7 said:

Nothing new. Even a 2013 Mac is full of temperature sensors. But of course if they aren't nudged, Apple will be repairing 1000s of Macs for free under warranty within the first year of purchase.
    As with almost anything nowadays, if temps exceed a threshold, the system should take action. Shutting down if need be. That should be enough of a nudge if the cause is a blocked or reduced flow inlet.

The same thing happens on the hairdryers we have at home.

Throw in a smidgen of 'intelligence' (the system should have a very good idea if the heat is being produced by the machine itself and be able to guide the user) and the overall result could well be a longer life for the machine.

There are other factors of course but this should be an easy thing manage. Cheap with high efficiency.

• Reply 44 of 46
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Both my 27” iMac and my 27” Cinema Display show these display issues for years, just barely not bad enough to make me spring the money for an out of warranty repair, and my laptops seem to become slower and more crashy as time goes on.
    If this is dust related, these lawsuits have merit.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    wlym said:
    Way more than 5 given the number of complaints I found when researching the problem which happened to my 2017 iMac a few weeks after the warranty expired. My office is a clean and smoke-free environment and it only took a year. I had a 1-year old, $4000 iMac with a faulty screen - unusable for professional retouching. Not ok. I've been using Macs for 25 years and I (and my friends, so there!) have had screens die, motherboard failures, DOA MacBook Airs (2018 model!) and hard drives die. You, your friends and your collective experience are not reliable indicators of how real a problem is or if it's worth forcing Apple to deal with it when they don't want to acknowledge it. I bet you'd be right on board if it affected you personally - or would you say "well, I've never heard of this problem before so I guess I won't expect Apple to fix it and I'll just shell out a thousand dollars for a new screen"?
    slurpy said:
    I've literally never heard of this, with the millions upon millions of Macs being sold. How many people did this affect? Like 5? Doesn't fucking sound like a design flaw if you don't have a reasonable percentage of consumers being affected by it. I've been using multiple Mac machines for more than a decade, and have never once experienced this issue, nor has anyone else I know. Funny how other tech companies don't get sued for real flaws in their products that actually affects a real percentage of their customers.
    The vast majority of those complaints i'm seeing on the internet is from the models prior to the laminated versions. But it still doesn't see all that common.
    But why they said "since 2013" then?