Everything new with HomePod in iOS 13

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I just picked one up and so far I like it a lot.  The one thing I can’t figure out (if it’s even an option) is setting EQ on the HomePod directly.  That’d be a great feature to add - at least some presets.   
  • Reply 22 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,768member
    daven said:

As for radio stations, many stations are already listed in the iTunes radio directory and thus on Apple Music now. I know my local public radio stations are, I can ask the HP to play them. 
    How do you do that? Can you step me through the process?h

Edit: simpler than I thought. - But my station isn't available until the update.

Yeah really easy - “Hey Siri, play WWNO” which is my local radio station. 
  • Reply 23 of 31
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    Anyone got any idea on what the developer beta will be available? If at all?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,934member
    I just picked one up and so far I like it a lot.  The one thing I can’t figure out (if it’s even an option) is setting EQ on the HomePod directly.  That’d be a great feature to add - at least some presets.   
    Manual EQ settings on a HomePod isn't an option, and isn't a likely future update. A core function of the device is the fact that it measures the acoustics of the room on the fly and adjusts output to cancel unwanted echos, set a balanced EQ, etc, creating the optimal playback settings for the device. Allowing users to then manually fiddle with that would end up defeating this primary feature that sets it apart from the competition. That in turn would, after users have fiddled with the settings to achieve varying degrees of suboptimal playback, open the device up to claims that it really doesn't sound all that great, and isn't worth the premium price if it doesn't sound better than an Echo dot or whatever. Teslas don't come with manual gear shifters, either.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,288member
     EQ is done automatically every second by AI even when you move or you move the speaker, you don't have to do it.

But if you insist, there are 2 options:
    1. Homepod tech is not for you and so try other smart speakers
    2. You can manually adjust EQ from the phone
  • Reply 26 of 31
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I think Apple is working on HomeOS.
    Seamless, automatic updates. No iPhone tethering needed.

Is radio part of the iHeartMedia investment?
    Also, Apple buy them. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 27 of 31
    AppleZulu said:
    Manual EQ settings on a HomePod isn't an option, and isn't a likely future update. A core function of the device is the fact that it measures the acoustics of the room on the fly and adjusts output to cancel unwanted echos, set a balanced EQ, etc, creating the optimal playback settings for the device. Allowing users to then manually fiddle with that would end up defeating this primary feature that sets it apart from the competition. That in turn would, after users have fiddled with the settings to achieve varying degrees of suboptimal playback, open the device up to claims that it really doesn't sound all that great, and isn't worth the premium price if it doesn't sound better than an Echo dot or whatever. Teslas don't come with manual gear shifters, either.
    Apple could add a handful of preset EQ curves to choose from and we'd still benefit from the tech that's built in to the device.  Sound is very subjective and not everyone hears it the same way.  If you live in an apartment, condo or town home then thumping bass is not necessarily the ideal sound profile if you value the relationship you have with your neighbors - even if it sounds better that way.

Shifters aside, Tesla lets the owner adjust the EQ and tone of the stereo.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    kevin kee said:
     EQ is done automatically every second by AI even when you move or you move the speaker, you don't have to do it.

I'm not insisting on anything - it was only a suggestion.  If the EQ tech is that important to the HomePod's quality then why does Apple allow you to adjust it from your phone stream?
  • Reply 29 of 31
    AppleZulu said:
    Apple could add a handful of preset EQ curves to choose from and we'd still benefit from the tech that's built in to the device.  Sound is very subjective and not everyone hears it the same way.  If you live in an apartment, condo or town home then thumping bass is not necessarily the ideal sound profile if you value the relationship you have with your neighbors - even if it sounds better that way.

Shifters aside, Tesla lets the owner adjust the EQ and tone of the stereo.
    Tesla isn’t selling cars based on how the stereo sounds. Nor is anyone likely to return a Tesla because they screwed up the EQ settings and think the stereo doesn’t sound that great. 

If, on the other hand, they put in something that acted like a stick shift, you can guarantee there would be goofballs who couldn’t get to 60 in 30 seconds, and would claim the car is a piece of junk because of it. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 30 of 31
    kevin kee said:

I'm not insisting on anything - it was only a suggestion.  If the EQ tech is that important to the HomePod's quality then why does Apple allow you to adjust it from your phone stream?
    Because most people wouldn’t bother or wouldn’t know it’s even possible. Plus, if you go that far out of your way to do that, it’s a much bigger leap to conclude that it’s the HomePod’s fault when you dial up suboptimal settings. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 31 of 31
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    kevin kee said:

The EQ settings are phone output specific. They have nothing to do with HomePod.  I think originally they were added to work with different headphones that were able to be used with iPhone..again not to enhance the sound of Homepod.   I would hardly call using the phones basic sound pre sets "equalization" either.

I have personally never found one that enhanced my music at all IMHO. Maybe back in the days of using crappy earbuds they may have been helpful.. or if you are listening to talk radio or some spoken word recording some settings may be beneficial.

I think Homepod EQ's quite well from song to song. It is definitely noticeable and helps give a very good listening experience.. again this is just my opinion. I have never felt like I wanted to tweak the sound of something I was listening too on Homepod..not because Apple has told me it is set correctly, but because it sounds right.

I think the Idea of Homepod's onboard equalization is to make the recording sound the way the artist and engineer intended ...not overblown and bass heavy, or so bright and screechy that your ears bleed. Which is how some folks think music should sound in order to sound "good". B)