2020 5G iPhone coming in 5.4- and 6.7-inch sizes, LTE 6.1-inch iPhone [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

I just read an experience by PC Mag trying to use 5G in a Brooklyn. It will be a long time before this is truly rolled out. 
    So on the one hand September 2020 isn’t too much of a worry. On the other hand people buy their phones for years nowadays, so 2019 iPhone sales will suck.
    edited June 2019 llama
  • Reply 22 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mazda 3s said:
    Why would Apple go back to a fingerprint reader -- especially an in-glass one? I would assumed it would not be as good as the most recent Touch ID versions, and I thought Face ID was supposed to be more secure than Touch ID anyway?

And what about the front facing cameras and facial mapping (Animoji, Memoji) -- still gonna need that hardware, right? So why bother?
    Twins, close family members and young people for whom FaceID is not ideal.  Combine with even a lesser fingerprint recognition tech versus today’s TouchID and you likely have a solution that is some large multiple of the 1,000,000:1 uniqueness of FaceID.  TouchID is currently 50,000:1.  If in-screen its weakened to 10,000:1, that’s still significant when combined with FaceID.  Likely sufficient to overcome the twins, et al edge cases, giving better than TouchID’s 50,000:1 but maybe not as good as FaceID’s 1,000,000:1 yield against the general populous. 
  • Reply 23 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    “Even with the increase from 2019 to 2020, that still falls short of the heyday of iPhone sales in 2015, with the company selling 231.2 million iPhones in that year. The company sold 211.8 million, 216.8 million, and 217.7 million iPhones in fiscal years 2016, 2017, and 2018 respectively.”

I’d love to see these unit numbers, whenever mentioned, paired with revenue or ASP (from which total iPhone revenue for each year could easily be calculated).  But alas, Apple has stopped reporting both units and ASPs, so going forward the only true measure (revenue) will be the one we should see compared.  But of course, instead we’ll just see analysts’ unit estimates.  Some things never change.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 24 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    potatoman said:
    5.4 in a full screen design like the iPhone X would bring it back down to the size of the iPhone 6/7/8, maybe even smaller. 
    it's the exact size of an iPhone SE (the entire casing, not the screen)

I pray this rumor is real. Besides my own selfish desire for a hand-sized phone, there's just not enough differentiation in the current lineup. Having significantly different models to choose between will bring more upgraders.

I'm hoping they will do the screen size change this year then I keep that phone for 5 years while 5G farts around getting it's self sorted out.

• Reply 25 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    uktechie said:
    2020? That’s more than a year behind their competitors. 

If I’m paying Apple’s premium prices I expect the best so the 2019 4G model is going to be a difficult sell for Apple.

I look forward to getting a 5G iPhone but I expect 2019 sales to be poor, at least in areas where 5G is available amor about to launch soon (we’ve had it for a few weeks in major curries in the UK). 
    5G won't be in saturated operation to any great degree till 2020 at the very earliest. Apple loses nothing by waiting one year longer.
    Maybe not.   But their customers expecting to keep and use their phones for 4 or 5 years sure do.   They'll be stuck with an out of date phone.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    The iPhone feature fragmentation will be caused by price then, and long upgrade cycles. 4 years is a long time in technology years. Some people might miss entire features, for example 3D Touch, depending on when they upgrade their phones, due to higher prices.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    uktechie said:

If I’m paying Apple’s premium prices I expect the best so the 2019 4G model is going to be a difficult sell for Apple.

I look forward to getting a 5G iPhone but I expect 2019 sales to be poor, at least in areas where 5G is available amor about to launch soon (we’ve had it for a few weeks in major curries in the UK). 
    5G won't be in saturated operation to any great degree till 2020 at the very earliest. Apple loses nothing by waiting one year longer.
    Maybe not.   But their customers expecting to keep and use their phones for 4 or 5 years sure do.   They'll be stuck with an out of date phone.
    I customer willing to keep a Phone 5 years isn't worried about being stuck with an out of date phone.

Indeed, could be argued (and will be by me), if one plans to keep a phone for a few years having a phone at the peak of LTE refinement will last longer than one that is compromissing to get the next big thing in. Given any potential uses for all that bandwidth promissed by 5G really do need visual real estate the trade offs hardly seem worth it without a non-ugly AR wearable interface. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 28 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mattinoz said:
    uktechie said:

I customer willing to keep a Phone 5 years isn't worried about being stuck with an out of date phone.

False assumption.

• Reply 29 of 32
    mazda 3s said:
    Why would Apple go back to a fingerprint reader -- especially an in-glass one? I would assumed it would not be as good as the most recent Touch ID versions, and I thought Face ID was supposed to be more secure than Touch ID anyway?
    The industry is moving to a behind-screen front camera. No way will Apple hang onto the notch once competitors are truly edge-to-edge. Apple already has patents for the camera as well as multiple ones recently filed for in-glass fingerprint reading.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    mazda 3s said:
    The industry is moving to a behind-screen front camera. No way will Apple hang onto the notch once competitors are truly edge-to-edge. Apple already has patents for the camera as well as multiple ones recently filed for in-glass fingerprint reading.
    Once they put the Camera behind the screen, then putting 2 cameras behind the screen is no harder. Putting them at far enough apart to make 3D map even without the laser projector might even possible. If not hide projector under screen as well.

Remember a device with no notch and no button has no top or bottom. If the owner can't pick it up and just use it in any direction it's a fail.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    entropys said:
    So on the one hand September 2020 isn’t too much of a worry. On the other hand people buy their phones for years nowadays, so 2019 iPhone sales will suck.
    Not only that, but resale of 2019 iPhones in 2020 will *really* suck.  Unless the 2019 comes out with something besides the square camera bump it may end up dipping in 2020 resale price to the same level as the 2018 XS series when offered against a 5G model.