Apple to lead smartwatch growth through 2023, report says

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2019
Apple will be a primary growth driver of worldwide smartwatch sales through 2023, though its share of the market is expected to see erosion from an onslaught of competitors, according to research firm IDC.

Smartwatches are expected to lead growth in the wider wearable device segment over the next five years with shipments moving from 91.8 million units in 2019 to 131.6 million units in 2023, IDC said in a forecast released on Wednesday. The product category currently accounts for 41.2% of worldwide wearable shipments and will grow to 43.5% at the end of 2023, according to the IDC Quarterly Wearable Device Tracker.

Apple is anticipated to lead the pack and will end the five-year period with a 25.9% share of all watches, the report said. Following behind Apple Watch will be a motley crew of devices running Android, WearOS, Tizen and other first- and third-party wearable operating systems.

"Apple's...nearest competitors follow by a long margin," Ramon T. Llamas, research director for IDC's Wearables team, said in a statement to CNET. "Android also plays a big role here, but it's mostly known as a Chinese wearables platform."

While IDC sees Apple Watch as a clear market leader, the five-year forecast terminates in a number slightly down from recent estimates. In March, the research firm said Apple clinched a 26.8% share of the smartwatch market in 2018 on 46.2 million shipments, up 39.5% year-over-year.

According to IDC, watches and "earwear," like AirPods, will dominate the overall wearables sector come 2023, combining for a whopping 78.3% share of the market. Wristbands, like those popularized by Fitbit, are predicted to account for an 18.2% marketshare, up only 0.3% between 2019 to 2023.

In total, IDC anticipates 302.3 million wearable device shipments in 2023.

Today's results are modified down from predictions aired in March, which pegged Apple to take 27.5% of all smartwatch shipments at the end of 2023. The earlier report also quoted total wearable device shipments at 279 million units over the same period.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Predictions about tech 3-4 years into the future are pointless.
    DAalsethjbdragontht
  • Reply 2 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Here we go again...

Hundreds of companies will join this space to battle Apple. The good thing is Apple users have more disposable income and watches are seen as a "luxury" which is why android watches are failing.
    steveau
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Making up numbers...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    IDC?

I don't care.
    frantisekfotoformatJWSCStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 13
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    So surprising when there’s competition from others smart watch manufacturers like Mont Blanc, who will let you have one of theirs for a mere €970. . . ! 🙄

And I can only laugh at the reviews (more than one) I’ve read that criticize the Apple Watch because you have to raise it to read the time. I guess these reviewers always read their watches while their wrist is hanging by their side. 
    christopher126AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 13
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    eriamjh said:
    IDC?

I don't care.
    It Doesn't Compute.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 13
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    Here we go again...

Hundreds of companies will join this space to battle Apple....
    History: Hundreds of companies joined the iPad space. Any profit in the Android tablet wars? Any excellence in Android tablets? Security? Privacy? Functionality, Apps?
    JWSC
  • Reply 8 of 13
    pk22901 said:
    Here we go again...

History: Hundreds of companies joined the iPad space. Any profit in the Android tablet wars? Any excellence in Android tablets? Security? Privacy? Functionality, Apps?
    Well said.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    IDC was the one who reported that Apple sales dropped 30% in China. that turned out to be an embarrassment for IDC when the real numbers came out. Don’t believe a word IDC puts out. Apple may lead the smartwatch market right now but the end result result will be the same as the PC market, the smartphone market, the tablet market. Hundreds of companies will jump into the smartwatch market with low priced garbage and people will buy it. Apple will remain the touchstone, the innovator, the one to copy but sales will belong to the iKnockOffs and Apple will reap most of the profits. So it is, was, and ever shall be.
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 13
    McJobsMcJobs Posts: 29member
    Windows Phone will pass iPhone by 2016, IDC predicted 7 years ago.
    SpamSandwichJWSCjony0
  • Reply 11 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While the timing could be debated, the prediction cannot.

It is the normal course of a new market as it grows and matures.  It happens and has happened with every new device.   One company leads the way and the then rest follow with variations.

Nobody should be surprised.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    pk22901 said:
    Here we go again...

Of course. I'm not disagreeing just funny how Apple will be "Doomed" if it only takes 40% marketshare vs. 60% from 100s of manufacturers many of which will be knockoffs(Fitbit).

I disagree with the numbers and think Apple will have 50%+ marketshare because android users don't have the disposable income of iPhone users. If Apple Watch becomes a standalone device(as is happening) don't be surprised if you start seeing people with knockoff iPhones but real Apple Watches to either pretend to be cool or as gifts.

fred1 said:
    So surprising when there’s competition from others smart watch manufacturers like Mont Blanc, who will let you have one of theirs for a mere €970. . . ! 🙄

And I can only laugh at the reviews (more than one) I’ve read that criticize the Apple Watch because you have to raise it to read the time. I guess these reviewers always read their watches while their wrist is hanging by their side. 

When people hate Apple something strange happens. I notice they lose braincells or something. Your comment reminded me of FaceID where the iKnockoff users claimed it was a failure because you had to LOOK at your iPhone to use it. Some idiots even claimed you'd have to pose like taking a selfie for it to unlock.

• Reply 13 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wasn’t it just yesterday that the fake pundits here were saying no one wears a watch anymore, watches are so old school, the young generation would never put one of those things on their wrist let alone pay hundreds of dollars for one. Why buy an Watch when you can buy a Timex for $12.50? I can hear the cackling and caterwauling even now.
    AppleExposed