16-inch MacBook Pro release, MacBook Air updates predicted for September

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple could ship the rumored 16-inch version of the MacBook Pro this fall, analysts at IHS Markit believe, with the upgraded size tipped to have a high-resolution 3072-by-1920 pixel display, though not one that uses OLED technology.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro
The 15-inch MacBook Pro

There have been some suggestion over the last few months that Apple is planning to reintroduce larger sizes of MacBook Pro, with a 16-inch model dwarfing the current largest 15-inch model. According to information obtained from IHS Markit, the model will be unveiled during September's usual iPhone event, if no development issues occur.

The model is described as having a "new display size" of 16 inches, will run macOS Catalina, and have a new processor powering it, reports Forbes, though it is not advised what specification of processor to expect. Demand for the model is predicted to be in the region of approximately 250,000 units per month.

Also predicted by IHS Markit is a processor upgrade for the MacBook Air, and to the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Function Keys.

The IHS Markit data does slightly go against previously reported information, as while the screen has a resolution of 3072 by 1920, the technology driving the display is said to be TFT-LCD supplied by LG Display. One May report indicated Apple was considering using OLED panels in the model, supplied by Samsung. IHS Markit does not have an established track record for predicting Apple's future product plans.

Famed TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo speculated about the 16-inch MacBook Pro in February, with a 2019 launch touted for the model which may be targeted at designers and those working in video production. One regulatory filing with the EEC in mid-June revealed seven MacBook model numbers were registered for use, which could suggest multiple different changes to the MacBook family lineup are in the works.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    The 16” MacBook Pro will definitely be my next computer but going to wait until 2021 or so. Gotta see if Apple will work on that keyboard and Intel on their processors. Would like to see bigger batteries too. 

Plus my 2012 retina is doing pretty well, although starting to show its age. 
    macman1984
  • Reply 2 of 75
    The current "15" inch MBP is actually 15.4 inches diagonally.  So this would be adding "only" 0.6 inches diagonally.  Still, nice improvement for a marginally larger laptop.
    oirudleahcim
  • Reply 3 of 75
    I'll add that I also have a 2012 rMBP which is going strong (having replaced the screen, battery and internal SSD) with every port I need actually built in (imagine that!!).  The new MBP will be VERY expensive, especially since I will need dongles galore (USB 2.0, HDMI, SD cards, etc) for work, home and the plane.  Still, I'm sure it will be a nice machine.  
    orthorim
  • Reply 4 of 75
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I'll add that I also have a 2012 rMBP which is going strong (having replaced the screen, battery and internal SSD) with every port I need actually built in (imagine that!!).  The new MBP will be VERY expensive, especially since I will need dongles galore (USB 2.0, HDMI, SD cards, etc) for work, home and the plane.  Still, I'm sure it will be a nice machine.  
    I had to replace my LG screen at 15 months. Real POS screens. 
  • Reply 5 of 75
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    "Laptops" live a mostly binary life:  
    -- Half spend most of their lives travelling (room to room, office to home/office, or city to city)
    -- Half spend most of their lives sitting on a desk

Without getting into what the split actually is, Apple has largely ignored the second category in its single minded rush to thin, light, minimalist designs.

Here, they have a chance to break out of that prison.

Will the new MacBook be upgradeable, have a great keyboard that people like to use, and ports that people need and use?  
    Or, will it be just more of the same -- just a little bigger?

Frankly, if it's just a bigger version of the same, there is no chance that I would buy one.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    If they are gonna produce it there is no better time to introduce it then with new MacPro release. Of course, there is more questions then answers :-)
  • Reply 7 of 75
    My mid-2010 MBP 17" still goes strongly albeit stuck at macOS High Sierra. I only replaced the HDD with SSD and upgraded the memory cards to 8GB. The batteries are still holding the juice and haven't swollen up like some do. I can trick the installer to bypass the system restriction when installing Mojave. The only disadvantage is problematic updates that can crash the whole macOS.
    oirudleahcim
  • Reply 8 of 75
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    -- Half spend most of their lives travelling (room to room, office to home/office, or city to city)

Without getting into what the split actually is, Apple has largely ignored the second category in its single minded rush to thin, light, minimalist designs.

Will the new MacBook be upgradeable, have a great keyboard that people like to use, and ports that people need and use?  

Frankly, if it's just a bigger version of the same, there is no chance that I would buy one.
    Then there is no chance you will buy one.  No chance of upgradeability.
    pscooter63Rayz2016StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    The current MacBook Pro has every port you need as well. You don't need dongle hell (I wish people would stop falsely claiming this). All you need is a different cable.  

I'm sure it will be expensive as well. In case everyone forgot, the 17" MacBook Pro wasn't cheap either (it also didn't sell very well which was why it was dropped in the first place). And, you can bet your ass Apple will do everything it can to make this as thin and light as possible as they always do. 
    edited June 2019 chiapscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Why doesn't Apple simply go fo a 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) screen?  I just bought a Dell 15" laptop for my granddaughter who needs it for AutoCAD that has one and it is stunning.
    boboliciousoirudleahcim
  • Reply 11 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    MacPro said:
    Why doesn't Apple simply go fo a 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) screen?  I just bought a Dell 15" laptop for my granddaughter who needs it for AutoCAD that has one and it is stunning.
    My guess is either because of battery life, and/or they can't find one of quality they want. As a result, they might also have to up the specs on their graphics card as well which again, effects battery life. I'm sure its on their radar...they just need the right time to release it. Kinda just like how iPhones recently starting shipping with OLED screens when they've been out on mobile phones for quite some time. 

Macs run AutoCAD by the way too! 
    edited June 2019 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 12 of 75
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 775member
    Just got a 2019 octo-core MacBook Pro. Great machine! Best Mac ever.

I'd be leery of buying a 16" MBP version 1.0. Actually, ANY 1st generation Mac.
    Let Apple and the beta testers… I mean, early adopters… work out the kinks first.
    oirudleahcim
  • Reply 13 of 75
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

I’m going to speculate and guess that they won’t cripple the portability of their laptop so that people can use it as a desktop.  Sure, some people just leave it on their desk all the time, but that’s not the situation these machines are targeted at.  Portability is a critical aspect of the MacBook Pro.  Fortunately, Apple is one of the few companies that take it extremely seriously.
    chiacanukstormRayz2016StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 75
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Doesn't look like Ice Lake in 45W will be ready in time for this, so likely Comet Lake or something 14nm++++. I'm glad for the screen size expansion but being 14nm warmed over a bit tamps down excitement a bit for me. 

Still biding time on my 2014 15", we'll see with this one 
  • Reply 15 of 75
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    The 16" MBP, if it exists, probably has a 16.x" display, and not 16.0". It won't be upgradeable. It should be, but it won't. I said that hoping to be wrong, but I won't be buying one in either case.

It could have a better keyboard. Apple could consider it a 'more Pro' machine if not on the level of the iMac Pro. But it would be an admission the no-travel click-switches weren't the way to go. Apple fessed up to the 2013 Mac Pro issues, and that was unusual. I doubt they'd do it again, but there is an opportunity.

I'm thinking this was just be a bigger MBP, and no serious internal upgrades. I look forward to see what ships, regardless.
    oirudleahcim
  • Reply 16 of 75
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    roake said:

I’m going to speculate and guess that they won’t cripple the portability of their laptop so that people can use it as a desktop.  Sure, some people just leave it on their desk all the time, but that’s not the situation these machines are targeted at.  Portability is a critical aspect of the MacBook Pro.  Fortunately, Apple is one of the few companies that take it extremely seriously.
    I agree that Apple takes portability extremely seriously.  And, I agree that they should.
    But, when they take it as the sole, overriding criteria across the entire product line, it becomes a prison.

(I think arguing that a laptop is used EITHER as a desktop OR as a portable device is a false dichotomy.  Most are in the range of 50/50 to 80/20 category.  It's a question of which is BEST for this person and their usage scenario.)
    edited June 2019 oirudleahcim
  • Reply 17 of 75
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    AppleInsider said:
    There have been some suggestion over the last few months that Apple is planning to reintroduce larger sizes of MacBook Pro, with a 16-inch model dwarfing the current largest 15-inch model.
    Hype much?

No matter what one's guesses about what the precise 16.x" vs. 15.6" measurement turns out to be, there'll be no 'dwarfing' going on here. It's a modest, but welcome, bump in size.
    edited June 2019 fastasleepoirudleahcim
  • Reply 18 of 75
    RajkaRajka Posts: 32member
    No doubt the new MacBook Pro will be thin to the point of a fault, difficult to repair, not upgradeable or expandable. Oh, and quite expensive. And it will sport the new failed keyboard that is awful to type on to begin with. (That's a matter of one's preference though.) Those are my predictions. I'll pass. On yet another MBP. Just like on the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't make computers for me any longer. Sigh.
    boboliciousGeorgeBMac80s_Apple_Guyfreethinkingoirudleahcim
  • Reply 19 of 75
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 606member
    Rajka said:
    No doubt the new MacBook Pro will be thin to the point of a fault, difficult to repair, not upgradeable or expandable. Oh, and quite expensive. And it will sport the new failed keyboard that is awful to type on to begin with. (That's a matter of one's preference though.) Those are my predictions. I'll pass. On yet another MBP. Just like on the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't make computers for me any longer. Sigh.
    Mac Pro was never a consumer grade model and it's price has always reflected it. I have seen it as something I want, but could never justify, much like a Tesla. I can stomach the money, but why. As for not making anything for you that is most preposterous statement ever. They make notebooks at every price point. If you want the ports go Windows and get an Alienware. It weighs about 8 lbs,has a nice heavy power brick, runs hot and looks like it was made in the 90's.
    roundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 75
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    crowley said:

Then there is no chance you will buy one.  No chance of upgradeability.
    I don't know about that. The T2 providing both system security and the SSD controller is the biggest reason the SSDs are built into the logic board. With the new Mac Pro, it looks like they have split the T2 off into a system T2 and an SSD T2. They could make the new MBP accept the same SSDs as the Mac Pro.
    GeorgeBMacfastasleepoirudleahcim