Apartment & insurance firm sue Apple over lethal iPad fire

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:
    Bet it was plugged into a 3rd party charger
    Ah yes that tired excuse. Perhaps the owner was also holding it wrong. 
    It’s not an excuse — poorly engineered chargers are a fire hazard. 

As for the 4, he wasn’t wrong. Meatbags cause signal attenuation. Other phones demonstrated the exact same behavior. It wasn’t a big deal. 
    macplusplus
  • Reply 22 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    the monk said:
    sflocal said:
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:
    I see what you did there... trying to defend a knockoff industry eh?

I have yet to see a bonafide, proven case of an Apple battery exploding using an OEM CHARGER.  I lost track of the number of outlandish claims against Apple, only to be thrown out after it was discovered the owner went the cheap route to save a few bucks and purchased a Chinese-garbage knockoff charger for $2 instead of buying a real one for $20-$30.  

Care to troll again?
    Even the best companies can make a defective unit here and there. I mean 1.3. Billion iOS devices in the world, not  surprising if a few are bad.  If the battery is indeed the fault of the fire, then Apple should pay. If I make a consumer product and it causes a house to burn down due to recklessness on my part, I should be liable. Most of the lawsuits I read here on AI are horse s——. But that doesn’t mean an excellent company is above the consumer protection laws. And I won’t knee-jerkishly come to their defense because I’m an Apple fanboy.
    I absolutely agree with you.  This has nothing to do with fanboyism and everything to do with facts.  Taking the fanboy argument here is a weak argument.

Again... come up with one instance where an Apple device exploded using an Apple OEM charger.  If anyone has serious PR to prevent damage-control with, it would be Apple.  Every Apple battery-fire case I have come across since day one always turned out to be something sketchy the user was doing and failed to tell anyone until challenged.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 23 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    sflocal said:
    the monk said:
    sflocal said:
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:

I have yet to see a bonafide, proven case of an Apple battery exploding using an OEM CHARGER.  I lost track of the number of outlandish claims against Apple, only to be thrown out after it was discovered the owner went the cheap route to save a few bucks and purchased a Chinese-garbage knockoff charger for $2 instead of buying a real one for $20-$30.  

Care to troll again?
    Even the best companies can make a defective unit here and there. I mean 1.3. Billion iOS devices in the world, not  surprising if a few are bad.  If the battery is indeed the fault of the fire, then Apple should pay. If I make a consumer product and it causes a house to burn down due to recklessness on my part, I should be liable. Most of the lawsuits I read here on AI are horse s——. But that doesn’t mean an excellent company is above the consumer protection laws. And I won’t knee-jerkishly come to their defense because I’m an Apple fanboy.
    I absolutely agree with you.  This has nothing to do with fanboyism and everything to do with facts.  Taking the fanboy argument here is a weak argument.

Again... come up with one instance where an Apple device exploded using an Apple OEM charger.  If anyone has serious PR to prevent damage-control with, it would be Apple.  Every Apple battery-fire case I have come across since day one always turned out to be something sketchy the user was doing and failed to tell anyone until challenged.
    Apparently you have a short memory.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/12/31/apples-iphone-xs-max-allegedly-explodes-in-ohio-mans-pocket

The point I'm trying to make is that any device with a lithium ion battery has the potential to catch on fire. If the device is a Samsung it's down to poor design, shoddy manufacturing, cheap materials. But an Apple device? Must be a third party charger right? 

elijahgchemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 33
    mobirdmobird Posts: 754member
    I wonder if an extension cord or a wall outlet extender was in play here?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I don't know how hot a new iPad can get, but I'm glad I gave away my old Apple laptop (a MacBook Air) because that thing was so hot I couldn't even put it on my lap. A "laptop."
  • Reply 26 of 33
    sflocal said:
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:

Care to troll again?

Completely agree!

I never, ever felt foolish paying more to buy a genuine Apple cable or wall unit. It is definitely worth it and it really is sad to see cheap chargers causing so much damage to property and life.

I'm not talking about this particular case, since we still do not know.

• Reply 27 of 33
    hentaiboy said:
    sflocal said:
    the monk said:
    sflocal said:
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:

Care to troll again?

The point I'm trying to make is that any device with a lithium ion battery has the potential to catch on fire. If the device is a Samsung it's down to poor design, shoddy manufacturing, cheap materials. But an Apple device? Must be a third party charger right? 

Yes, that's absolutely right!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    It's a mistake on both sides to assume Apple is wrong or right. That's what actual investigation is for.

The questions is – did Apple's device fail because of a manufacturing defect. If so, Apple should obviously be held accountable. But that's not what many if not most lawsuits are about. They are about making money off of tragedy.

A fact is the lawyers involved don't have to be and aren't necessarily motivated by a sense of justice. That we decide whether they are or aren't depending on whether we like or hate Apple is base stupidity. There's a lot of that in evidence here.

Another fact is lawyers don't have to show that Apple did something wrong. They just have to cast doubt, and if Apple can't show proof otherwise, then the jury can consider that Apple did something wrong or didn't do something they should have. This would be akin to being convicted of a crime merely because you were accused and had no alibi. It falls upon a jury to decide what is reasonable, not necessarily actually what happened.

The suit appears to allege that 'Apple knew or should have known...'. So it seems as though the plaintiff's tact will be to ignore the millions of iDevices operating without a problem and maintain that this fire was somehow inevitable. 

Contrary to many popular opinions, it's a tragedy when some one dies an untimely and needless death. And it's common to find someone to blame, sometimes whether or not they're at fault. It's less common to find out exactly what happened in that tragedy, and in the following litigation. I hope the result, if in Apple's favor, gets as much attentions as bringing suit.

netmage
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:
    So iPads are regularly the cause of fires? How did you come to this conclusion? Previous iPhones that have burned/melted were indeed attached to third party chargers or cables not MFI certified.  Also the holding wrong comment is such a cop out..come on. This isn't the same thing at all.
    netmage
  • Reply 30 of 33
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    the monk said:
    If I make a consumer product and it causes a house to burn down due to recklessness on my part, I should be liable.
    What evidence is there that Apple was reckless?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    tzterri said:
    I drive a hybrid. If my car explodes in an accident do I sue the gas companies or the maker of the giant lithium battery in it? Really wondering how they could figure out it was the iPad that caused the fire? Bet it was plugged into a 3rd party charger or was somehow damaged.
    Neither. You wouldn't get anywhere because you damaged the car, it can't be expected to stay safe for an unreasonable amount of time after a serious accident. 

If the car spontaneously caught fire on the other hand, you'd sue the car manufacturer, not the engine manufacturer nor the battery manufacturer. Just how this insurance company is suing Apple, not the supplier of Apple's batteries.

So many people use third party chargers now it's the norm, and it should be expected that a third party charger will be used with iOS devices. I'm not talking about the $5 knockoff Chinese import junk, but the Anker ones and Ikea ones etc. Whilst they may be more likely to damage the iPad, and more likely to cause death due to failure, but if a third party charger that hasn't catastrophically failed (i.e. by dumping 50v DC or mains down the 5v line) can cause a fire like this, Apple has a problem. Happily though, Apple aren't idiots, and they know people will use third party chargers with their devices and design them as such. If it is the charger failing and causing collateral damage, that isn't Apple's problem. That'd be like the occupant of the building suing the building designer because they put sockets in that allowed a third party charger to charge an iPad which then blew up. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 32 of 33
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    hentaiboy said:
    tzterri said:
    It’s not an excuse — poorly engineered chargers are a fire hazard. 

As for the 4, he wasn’t wrong. Meatbags cause signal attenuation. Other phones demonstrated the exact same behavior. It wasn’t a big deal. 
    The issue was that you could short the antenna with a finger resting between the bands and the signal would plummet.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    macgui said:
    It's a mistake on both sides to assume Apple is wrong or right. That's what actual investigation is for.

The questions is – did Apple's device fail because of a manufacturing defect. If so, Apple should obviously be held accountable. But that's not what many if not most lawsuits are about. They are about making money off of tragedy.

Contrary to many popular opinions, it's a tragedy when some one dies an untimely and needless death. And it's common to find someone to blame, sometimes whether or not they're at fault. It's less common to find out exactly what happened in that tragedy, and in the following litigation. I hope the result, if in Apple's favor, gets as much attentions as bringing suit.
    No, if you look at the only available fire investigator's report, the question is whether or not the iPad was actually the cause of the fire.