Apple online music service coming soon, L.A. Times says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I listen to my MP3s off the various computers on my network, off my iPod, and off CDs. If I can still do all that with this service (and not streaming them to the other computers or anything, I must be able to copy the files without restriction) I may consider using this service. If I can't do that, I won't. Simple as that.

Amorya
  • Reply 42 of 49
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    If the DRM is simply what already exists on the iPod, great.

But I'm keeping XNap installed just in case it's crap

You guys don't get it. Slashdot doesn't get it. You arn't paying for the music, you are paying for the user interface! You are paying for the ability to type a song and/or artist in the iTunes search field, and almost always get a result which is fast to download and high quality. Like Napster RIP

Barto
  • Reply 43 of 49
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    [quote]Originally posted by BrunoBruin:

<strong>I think the record companies have been quite clear on this. They want you to pay for a CD. They want you to pay AGAIN if you want any of those tracks on your computer. They want you to pay AGAIN to move those tracks to a portable player. If they could figure out how to do it, they'd want you to pay every time you LISTENED to a song.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, when these companies can convince me how I'm going to actually use the music in my car and on my computer, simultaneuosly, then maybe I'll think they're not being absolutely stupid. Piracy is one thing, using what you pay for is another.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    When this service comes out, it will give Apple ample marketing opportunities for its Xserve and Xserve Raid..(if they uses these to host the music). Think about it you probably would only need two or three Xserve Raids with 2.5 TB each to hold almost everyone released on a record in the ACC format. This service could prove to corporate customers that Xserves are reliable.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>On the other hand, though, there's Steve.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The first thing I thought was, "Wow, Steve managed to RDF the recording industry!"
  • Reply 46 of 49
    [quote]

Well, when these companies can convince me how I'm going to actually use the music in my car and on my computer, simultaneuosly, then maybe I'll think they're not being absolutely stupid. Piracy is one thing, using what you pay for is another.

<hr></blockquote>

I think Apple's plan is for you purchase downloads that are tethered to both the Mac and the iPod linked to that Mac.

You get a copy on the hard drive for desktop listening, and a copy on the iPod for everywhere else.

Of course you need an iPod - but that's what Apple's in business for...

You're also probably going to need a .Mac account.... mmm... more revenue.

This and the rumored new version of iChat (iPhone, ect.) will be what finally gets me to pony up the $99 bucks a month.

Sounds like a damn good business model.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    The article also says that Apple wants users to be able to burn their downloaded songs onto CD. Four out of the five labels are gung ho about this, Sony isn't.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    In the light of these rumors, I think it is for Apple to release a media server for home use so you can listen to the music you paid for on all computers in your house. Music should be bound to a user not a computer - if at all.

Another major concern of mine is that Apple is very US-centric. The convinient printing option in iPhoto is still unavailable in Europe - even after the release of version 2 - and Sherlok channels are nearly non-existent. Adding to this, most of the online music and movie services are US-only, too.

And the rumored pricing sheme of $10/month for streaming and an additional $0.99/song for the "burning rights" are a bit too expensive. In my opinion, the high prices the MI asks for are what led them into the dilema they are currently in and what is holding online music services back. People are willing to pay, but the prices have to reasonable.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    Apple's music service will be announced the second week in April. You can assume new iPods and iTunes at the same time. This date could slip a week, but April is confirmed.

-------

RosettaStoned