Eddy Cue says Apple Music has 60 million subscribers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AppleZulu said:
    gutengel said:
    Well the points of "not looking back" is pretty weak. Apple Music is very limited, specially when it comes to the music selection. Usually there's only version of each song and most of the time is the radio version, you want the the unplugged version, good luck with that, if the artist decided to pull out of Apple Music, good luck with that. iTunes is not about convenience, is an organisational tool for your music! Instead of playing with cards and keeping the music app as simple as possible, he should be fixing integration between apple music and iTunes libraries. I still got about 20% of my library no available on my iPhone, many of those songs are unplugged or live versions, but many are just exactly the same as the Apple Music version that the service doesn't recognise because its stupid.
    I totally agree.   That is one of my two main complaints about Apple Music:

The best example I can give of that is the 1932 Benny Goodman Concert at Carnegie Hall.  It was a historic ground breaking concert where "jazz" broke through into recognized respectability -- and Benny's band that night was comprised of what would become music greats such as Harry James, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and others.

It was a truly historic event but the tapes of the concert were lost for decades.   But, when they were finally found a 2 CD set of the live concert was published -- scratches and all.  Apple has that 2 CD set on Apple Music but:  THE SONGS ARE NOT SONGS FROM THE CONCERT!  Apple replaced them with later, studio recordings performed by different people!  And, they are totally different.

I guess to Apple Music a song is a song is a song -- and it doesn't matter what arrangement it is or who performed it.  "They all look alike to me!" 

That leads me to my other complaint:   Apple replaced my music library with their versions of the same songs -- IF they even had that song in their library (if not they simply deleted it from mine).   Apple could easily correct both problems by letting me keep my library (which would include the REAL Benny Goodman concert).  But they won't.  It's an "either/or" situation - you can either have your library or Apple Music -- but not both.
    Interesting. I just searched up that album on Apple Music, and it’s playing live recordings -scratches and all- with applause from an audience. These definitely aren’t studio recordings. 

Perhaps your issue is with “music match” selecting the wrong tracks to match songs ripped from your CD. Sometimes that happens.

The Apple Music library, on the other hand, has whatever tracks are supplied by the record label. In this case, they have the 1938 live album from Columbia Records, now owned by Sony. 

If if you have both the Music Match service and Apple Music, look not in ‘your library,’ but search AM for Benny Goodman, and you’ll find that album under ‘live albums,’ and it’ll have the correct tracks. 

P.S. I thought I’d made a mismatch mistake myself, but the BG concert in question was definitely 1938, not 1932. And the correct recordings are there in Apple Music. 
    Thank You!
    I'm going to have to figure that out.   But you are correct -- there it is!
    AppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    AppleZulu said:
    gutengel said:
    Well the points of "not looking back" is pretty weak. Apple Music is very limited, specially when it comes to the music selection. Usually there's only version of each song and most of the time is the radio version, you want the the unplugged version, good luck with that, if the artist decided to pull out of Apple Music, good luck with that. iTunes is not about convenience, is an organisational tool for your music! Instead of playing with cards and keeping the music app as simple as possible, he should be fixing integration between apple music and iTunes libraries. I still got about 20% of my library no available on my iPhone, many of those songs are unplugged or live versions, but many are just exactly the same as the Apple Music version that the service doesn't recognise because its stupid.

The best example I can give of that is the 1932 Benny Goodman Concert at Carnegie Hall.  It was a historic ground breaking concert where "jazz" broke through into recognized respectability -- and Benny's band that night was comprised of what would become music greats such as Harry James, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and others.

It was a truly historic event but the tapes of the concert were lost for decades.   But, when they were finally found a 2 CD set of the live concert was published -- scratches and all.  Apple has that 2 CD set on Apple Music but:  THE SONGS ARE NOT SONGS FROM THE CONCERT!  Apple replaced them with later, studio recordings performed by different people!  And, they are totally different.

I guess to Apple Music a song is a song is a song -- and it doesn't matter what arrangement it is or who performed it.  "They all look alike to me!" 

That leads me to my other complaint:   Apple replaced my music library with their versions of the same songs -- IF they even had that song in their library (if not they simply deleted it from mine).   Apple could easily correct both problems by letting me keep my library (which would include the REAL Benny Goodman concert).  But they won't.  It's an "either/or" situation - you can either have your library or Apple Music -- but not both.
    Interesting. I just searched up that album on Apple Music, and it’s playing live recordings -scratches and all- with applause from an audience. These definitely aren’t studio recordings. 

Perhaps your issue is with “music match” selecting the wrong tracks to match songs ripped from your CD. Sometimes that happens.

The Apple Music library, on the other hand, has whatever tracks are supplied by the record label. In this case, they have the 1938 live album from Columbia Records, now owned by Sony. 

If if you have both the Music Match service and Apple Music, look not in ‘your library,’ but search AM for Benny Goodman, and you’ll find that album under ‘live albums,’ and it’ll have the correct tracks. 

P.S. I thought I’d made a mismatch mistake myself, but the BG concert in question was definitely 1938, not 1932. And the correct recordings are there in Apple Music. 
    Thank You!
    P.P.S. If you like jazz from that general era, check out “Satchmo Plays King Oliver.” It’s a studio recording from a couple of decades later, but it’s really great.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/satchmo-plays-king-oliver/1466704359
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:
    How many of these users are Verizon customers such as me? I have Apple Music for "free" as part of my Verizon Wireless service. I hate it. It's awful. Even though I get it for free, I pay for Amazon Music. Apple's curated stations and algorithms that determine song similarity are a joke. For example, I tried to listen to the "Hard Rock" station today. The first song was by The White Stripes...certainly not hard rock or anything even close to being hard rock. 
    While these sorts of subscriptions do boost numbers, they only do so in a very small way. It is very US-centric to think that a limited offer on a single carrier in a single country is providing a meaningful boost (thousands at most.) The US currently has around half of the paid users worldwide, which is typical for the age of the service and the market roll out history, but highly indicative that the growth is coming from legitimate users and not spoon-fed promotions.
    Speaking of spoon fed promotions: Other services such as Spotify also do these, e.g. Spotify is currently free for 6 months with the latest Galaxy device.

Between Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, Google Music, Amazon Music etc. All of these services largely sell identical content, and other than colour-schemes their interfaces, features and algorithms all share wide similarities. So when one reads a passionate reaction to hating one service, but loving another - it's natural to believe these opinions to lack credibility. 

He was just trying to bash Apple.

Spotify has way more subscriber promotions than Apple Music such as carrier deals and free with Hulu.
    Wrong. I was bashing Apple Music, which is demonstrably worse than most of the other music streaming options. I love my other Apple products.
    Right. You were bashing APPLE Music, a service from Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jonagoldjonagold Posts: 31member
    What I found from the beginning with AM was that it didn’t do such great job with matching my existing music files, etc. so I just started from scratch and added all the artists/albums to my library.  Then for the artists/albums not offered, like foreign artists, I would simply add those to the service.  Haven’t had any issues since then. Sure there are some grayed-out tracks once in a while because of licensing, but that is the world we live in.  A few times I’ve noticed albums or tracks go grey to find out they’ve been replaced by remastered versions, which I sometimes don’t prefer, but seriously not the end of the world.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    gutengel said:

Thank You!
    P.P.S. If you like jazz from that general era, check out “Satchmo Plays King Oliver.” It’s a studio recording from a couple of decades later, but it’s really great.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/satchmo-plays-king-oliver/1466704359
    Thanks again!
    I love Louie Armstrong -- how could anybody not love that man?   Great musician, Great person.

On my back porch listening to it right now.  What a great combination:  Hot Saturday afternoon, shady back porch -- and Satchmo!  It doesn't get much better!
    watto_cobra