Jony Ive's departure follows years of dissatisfaction and absenteeism

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 161
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

The question remains is now that Ive and Angela ( Cook's big hire who just left ) are gone, will Apple get its crap together and restore the focus on the practicality of the products, OR will it continue with the design language by crippling the hardware and specs? Come this Fall's keynote, we'll know for sure who's full of it considering the products' directions. 
    Why would Ahrendts have anything to do with product design? And if you think stuff coming out this fall haven't already been designed, you have no idea how this process works.
    She had a hand in the marketing for the Watch in retail. One of the reasons Cook hired her for that among other things related to the stores as he recruited her in 2014, a year before the Watch got its debut. If Ive is the one who wanted the fashion route, then Cook must've gotten the idea of approaching Angela for this when oddly the VPs were against it. And if the VPs were against it, why did Cook go along with it instead of putting his foot down and say " We ain't doing the fashion route ". 

Simple. He was afraid of ticking off one of the most powerful and valued executives in the company. 

As for the Fall schedule, they already have been, however considering the trade war situation, things may have changed compromising the current designs. After all, they're not being mass produced yet, which is usually between July-August. Whatever happened in the trade war is affecting some of the products. The Mac Pro? Going to China instead of the USA this time around. iPhone? Cook can't pull it out of China immediately and do it in, say, Taiwan or India. 

At the moment, maybe both countries will come to a deal and settle it. Maybe it won't work out. All I'm saying is that between Fall 2019 and Spring 2020, there should be some subtle changes to the products' design language. But if they stay the same with crippleware, then it might mean Cook never gave a crap about the product development and his attack on the WSJ article is his PR damage control. Spring 2020 and then on will be a bit more obvious if any of the products show hardware improvements in the practical sense and if the engineers have it their way than Ive/Cook. So with Williams taking over the responsibility to work with the ID and HI teams, we'll see the real effects of it by Summer or Fall 2020. 

Right now, the Mac Pro could be the beginning of that change back to 'practical design' and was probably Jony's last in-house product design. So it remains to be seen if they'll stay that new course or continue crippling other product hardware. 

I doubt he will show up in the next Keynote because he's going to want to get the F out without doing any of the 'long goodbyes'. He's already burnt out. He needs to get the F out of there pronto, take a break, then start up his design firm and get it going. I give him until August-September to leave, maybe sooner.
    This all reads like fanfic to me, given you don't know whether most of this is true and have no idea what their actual internal schedule is like with regard to design. And, "crippleware"? Give me a break.