Microsoft blocks Windows 10 update over Boot Camp driver issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

sans said:
    MacPro said:
     who thinks these things up at MS?
    Not sure if you know or not, but the updates are numbered based on the year and month it was released.
    I didn't, I just prefer Apple's simple nomenclature.  So v1809 and 1903  are what dates exactly?

Meanwhile on Ars I just read this:

Yesterday, the company [Microsoft] posted a video boasting an "all-new Windows 1.0" to its social channels. It even went so far as to completely wipe all its previous posts from the Windows Instagram account, so all you'll find is the clip of its logos over the years. The video scrolls from the simplicity of Windows 10 through the pixellated rainbow flag of Windows XP and Windows 95.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 22 of 29
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    MacPro said:

sans said:
    MacPro said:
    Not sure if you know or not, but the updates are numbered based on the year and month it was released.
    I didn't, I just prefer Apple's simple nomenclature.  So v1809 and 1903  are what dates exactly?

Yesterday, the company [Microsoft] posted a video boasting an "all-new Windows 1.0" to its social channels. It even went so far as to completely wipe all its previous posts from the Windows Instagram account, so all you'll find is the clip of its logos over the years. The video scrolls from the simplicity of Windows 10 through the pixellated rainbow flag of Windows XP and Windows 95.
    First two digits are the year, and the other two the month.  IMO, it's simpler than what Apple does.  
    cgWerks
  • Reply 23 of 29
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Note that Microsoft supports Macs for longer than Apple does. The only reason why Apple does not support their computers for longer is because they want to force users to upgrade to their latest hardware even if it is slower than the computer they currently own (compare the latest Mac Mini to a top of the line 2011 iMac).
    Hello, that sounds like bullshit. Can you back up your unsubstantiated claim with some kind of evidence? Or is your purpose to only sew discontent on every thread?

Happily using a 2011 iMac on my desktop. If now doesn’t get the latest macOS, but continues to receive updates. The fact that it is completely functional and runs VMs for software development, and has never required me to wipe it or re-install it like I did a million times on Windows, is a testament to Apple. 
    I am using a mid 2011 Mac Mini and a Mid 2011 Macbook Air i7 at home with the same experience.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    jcs2305 said:
    Note that Microsoft supports Macs for longer than Apple does. The only reason why Apple does not support their computers for longer is because they want to force users to upgrade to their latest hardware even if it is slower than the computer they currently own (compare the latest Mac Mini to a top of the line 2011 iMac).
    Hello, that sounds like bullshit. Can you back up your unsubstantiated claim with some kind of evidence? Or is your purpose to only sew discontent on every thread?

Happily using a 2011 iMac on my desktop. If now doesn’t get the latest macOS, but continues to receive updates. The fact that it is completely functional and runs VMs for software development, and has never required me to wipe it or re-install it like I did a million times on Windows, is a testament to Apple. 
    I am using a mid 2011 Mac Mini and a Mid 2011 Macbook Air i7 at home with the same experience.
    Me and my customers have the same experience with Windows 7, now upgraded to Windows 10.  No wipe and reinstall, and many of them are from 7-8 years running without issues.  Looks like both, macOS and Windows are very stable today. 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    danvm said:
    MacPro said:

sans said:
    MacPro said:

First two digits are the year, and the other two the month.  IMO, it's simpler than what Apple does.  
    Good to know thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    MacPro said:
    ... It even went so far as to completely wipe all its previous posts from the Windows Instagram account, so all you'll find is the clip of its logos over the years.
    I haven't really tried to think through the implications... but apparently this is some kind of technique being recommended by some social media experts for certain campaigns.

danvm said:
    Me and my customers have the same experience with Windows 7, now upgraded to Windows 10.  No wipe and reinstall, and many of them are from 7-8 years running without issues.  Looks like both, macOS and Windows are very stable today. 
    FYI... Windows 10, on my 2018 Mac mini, has actually been more stable than macOS over the last 6mo+ I've been running it. I've had macOS freeze-up like 4 times now, and Windows 10 has been rock-solid stable. That said, I went many YEARS on previous macOS (X) systems with no freeze-ups, so it must have something to do with recent macOS updates and/or some software/hardware issue, possibly just my setup (though I bumped into a few threads of people having issues after 10.14.5 update, which is when this started for me, too).
  • Reply 27 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I see that the name of the driver, "Mac HAL Driver" is suspiciously close to "Mac IBM Driver." The letters HAL are one alphabetic shift over from IBM. This "pun" was of course also used in the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey". But in this case is it the same pun or does HAL have some real IT meaning?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    eldoeldo Posts: 2member
    So I just reformatted my MBP completely, should I hold off on reinstalling Windows 10 bootcamp on my 2016 MBP till this gets sorted out? I do remember last time I tried to install it had issues and had to retry a few times before it installed.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I used to use a microsoft system, but as you may have seen for yourself apple offers even more. So I switched to this system quite quickly and have never regretted it.