tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    Now we know where Jony Ive has been working since Thursday.
    LOL

But may not be far from the truth in the future. I imagine everyone is going to want to work with him, 
    Samsung walking into Jony Ive office, see Huawei already sit there waiting. 
    LOL. You obviously haven't seen any recent Samsung or Huawei flagships. Believe me, neither of them need Sir Jony Ive.

In fact, Apple could learn a thing or two from the design of recent flagships from both companies (or even Oppo and OnePlus).
    I'm referring to the anecdote about the meeting at Apple in which Ive laid out all the reasons the Fold would fail and was quickly proved correct.
    I think nothing has been proven except that they rushed it to market. It's clear that no major changes have been made to the Fold as there hasn't been enough time for development or testing of major changes. In the case of the Mate X, it seems that nothing was changed in hardware, simply that 5G roll outs were taking a few weeks longer and the radio equipment needed calibration.

Ive simply couldn't 'know' anything and what Ive thinks doesn't have to be the last word either. The butterfly keyboard could be a case in point here.

He has an opinion and, yes, probably has prototypes to base his opinion on. However, what he doesn't have is the same access to display technology as Samsung and, far less, access to the design of the hinge itself.

The only way to know how this will perform is by letting it loose in a real world setting. The same applies to Huawei.
    "Ive simply couldn't know"

Uhm, yes, he would, at least of all the possibilities of actually building it today with current technology. Apple has probably been working on tablets including foldables since before the Knowledge Navigator of 1987. He would definitely be aware of all the pitfalls.

Do you really think that Apple hasn't been working on folding screens and that Ive wouldn't be involved?

As an aside, welcome to all of the "Church of First" and "Church of Marketshare" trolls that have joined up. Of course, there isn't generally any advantage to being first with some feature if the implementation is rushed and poorly executed. 

Hence why Apple gets those big disruptions, like the iPod, iPhone, iPad, AirPods, Watch, and Mac Book Air, and Android OS basically becomes a war zone of differentiation for all of the various Android OS OEM's competing in the space for those low ASP product lines. Still, if you want to believe that Apple is copying Android OS device makers, I'm cool with that. Profit is after all, a dish best served cold.
    It is literally impossible for Ive to 'know'.

You can throw all the 'probably's' you want at this but nothing would change the situation.

Ive didn't and doesn't know. That's it.

In fact, Apple has a very long history of hiring in talent for everything it hasn't been able to develop in-house.

I have no doubt that Apple has prototyped hinges for folding screens. It's possible they ran into issues or maybe they didn't. It's possible they ran into other issues or maybe they didn't.

It's irrelevant because what Jony Ive couldn't possibly know was exactly what Samsung had up its sleeve. That is what we are talking about here. It's also true that Samsung probably understands the folding screen issues better than Apple too.

He is guessing.

As I said, it isn't only Ive that is guessing. Everybody is. That's why the phone has to hit the market first. From there, we'll see how durable it is.

Your 'churches' don't exist but market share is key to Apple's success. Moreso as it moves into services.

It's not about 'being first'. That is utterly irrelevant. It's about being 'competitive'.

For the last three years Apple has been overtaken in too many areas. Sales of handsets have flattened and dropped. Handsets remain a core revenue stream and vital pillar of Apple's profitability.

The rumoured iPhone 2019 looks set to break records in hideousness for Apple. I sincerely hope recent renders are way off the mark because, as much as you now say 'looks don't matter' - they do.

As if the best "renders" even in this link are any near close to how they will perceived in real life, but even with that, I'm still laying my marker on the camera array configuration being a significant innovation for bokeh, 3D, AR, and computational imaging. The aesthetics of that bump with those functions won't even be an issue, and I will state unequivocally, that this iPhone will be the standard to which Android OS device makers will converge and copy.

More to the point, I've never seen your "design sense" as relevant in the Apple ecosystem.

Watch the video, and be at least a little educated.
    3D? AR?

Haven't we been here before with AR Core against Android? 600 million iDevices ready to jump start the AR era!

How many years ago was that? Nothing really came of it and the latest AR has even ticked the iPhone X off the supported list.

There is still a way to go until September. Rather than guessing what Apple will reveal then, you should be asking yourself why you can't use tri cameras NOW on iPhones. After all they appeared on Android devices over a year ago. Night Mode. Ultra wide angle. Dual Video. AIIS. x3/x5 Zoom etc.

You can bet all you want on what - might -appear on the 2019 iPhone but the facts are Apple is way behind the competition - NOW.

And while Apple finally drags itself slowly up to date, rumours say Huawei is about to move the carrot again:

https://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/117261-two_lead/This-could-be-our-first-glimpse-of-the-Huawei-Mate-30-or-Mate-30-Pro-circular-camera-setup.jpg
    So, you didn't watch the video.

Saw it. Very unimpressed.

His biggest fault is that he constantly falls into the trap commenting on features as if they are already confirmed only to follow with 'maybe', 'perhaps', 'could be'. 

He tip toes around the major failings of iPhone over the last three years by making a cursory reference to 'playing catch up' which is an understatement wherever there was one.

He tries to excuse the lack of major photography features by claiming they are not there because Apple wants 'instant' processing of the image. I beg to differ there. Users want the photo and if a very difficult night shot takes a couple of seconds to process, you walk away with the shot. With current iPhones you often walk away with nothing! To make matters worse he completely forgets that many of the shots themselves are 3-8 second hand held exposures. That's right. Users find time to record the scene. A couple of seconds processing really is a non-issue. iPhone users would jump on the opportunity to have great low light performance now.

Strange how immediacy is used to excuse Apple in photography but waiting for an iPhone to charge out of the box (something worse than watching paint dry) is not mentioned at all! Just a reference to a bigger battery.

Design. It's clear he expects the worst and is trying to convince himself that he'll have to swallow an 'ugly' phone if the renders prove to be correct. His word is 'bizarre' as he desperately tries to come to terms with what may be the ugliest iPhone to date. What I find astounding is that far too often he simply takes it as a given that these renders are the real deal even though he comes back to his 'maybes'.

Of course, he completely fails to mention the fact that the Mate 30 Pro and Note 10 will also be out around the same time and Apple really cannot afford to huff and puff to reach three cameras while new phones possibly take another leap ahead.

As for real-time video effects, Huawei already has things like painting out colours on the boiler and running through the NPU. Dual video too.

All in all it's almost apologetic. It's like saying 'hey folks, 2019 is not going to be the be re-design you want so don't get your hopes up - just be pleased Apple is catching up'.

He makes the obligatory A13 reference but utterly fails to point out that the A12 was in exactly the same position regarding Android - it really had nothing to show for it.

As with every year I'm hoping for much more! Competition is what we need and three years of flat sales and the roof falling in on the Christmas season should have been enough for Tim to get the message: 2019= All Guns Blazing!

We can hope. We should hope!

And of course: Everything at lower prices! That is an absolute must IMO.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 62 of 64
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

But may not be far from the truth in the future. I imagine everyone is going to want to work with him, 
    LOL. You obviously haven't seen any recent Samsung or Huawei flagships. Believe me, neither of them need Sir Jony Ive.

In fact, Apple could learn a thing or two from the design of recent flagships from both companies (or even Oppo and OnePlus).
    I'm referring to the anecdote about the meeting at Apple in which Ive laid out all the reasons the Fold would fail and was quickly proved correct.
    I think nothing has been proven except that they rushed it to market. It's clear that no major changes have been made to the Fold as there hasn't been enough time for development or testing of major changes. In the case of the Mate X, it seems that nothing was changed in hardware, simply that 5G roll outs were taking a few weeks longer and the radio equipment needed calibration.

Ive simply couldn't 'know' anything and what Ive thinks doesn't have to be the last word either. The butterfly keyboard could be a case in point here.

He has an opinion and, yes, probably has prototypes to base his opinion on. However, what he doesn't have is the same access to display technology as Samsung and, far less, access to the design of the hinge itself.

The only way to know how this will perform is by letting it loose in a real world setting. The same applies to Huawei.

Uhm, yes, he would, at least of all the possibilities of actually building it today with current technology. Apple has probably been working on tablets including foldables since before the Knowledge Navigator of 1987. He would definitely be aware of all the pitfalls.

Do you really think that Apple hasn't been working on folding screens and that Ive wouldn't be involved?

As an aside, welcome to all of the "Church of First" and "Church of Marketshare" trolls that have joined up. Of course, there isn't generally any advantage to being first with some feature if the implementation is rushed and poorly executed. 

Hence why Apple gets those big disruptions, like the iPod, iPhone, iPad, AirPods, Watch, and Mac Book Air, and Android OS basically becomes a war zone of differentiation for all of the various Android OS OEM's competing in the space for those low ASP product lines. Still, if you want to believe that Apple is copying Android OS device makers, I'm cool with that. Profit is after all, a dish best served cold.

You can throw all the 'probably's' you want at this but nothing would change the situation.

In fact, Apple has a very long history of hiring in talent for everything it hasn't been able to develop in-house.

I have no doubt that Apple has prototyped hinges for folding screens. It's possible they ran into issues or maybe they didn't. It's possible they ran into other issues or maybe they didn't.

It's irrelevant because what Jony Ive couldn't possibly know was exactly what Samsung had up its sleeve. That is what we are talking about here. It's also true that Samsung probably understands the folding screen issues better than Apple too.

He is guessing.

As I said, it isn't only Ive that is guessing. Everybody is. That's why the phone has to hit the market first. From there, we'll see how durable it is.

Your 'churches' don't exist but market share is key to Apple's success. Moreso as it moves into services.

It's not about 'being first'. That is utterly irrelevant. It's about being 'competitive'.

For the last three years Apple has been overtaken in too many areas. Sales of handsets have flattened and dropped. Handsets remain a core revenue stream and vital pillar of Apple's profitability.

The rumoured iPhone 2019 looks set to break records in hideousness for Apple. I sincerely hope recent renders are way off the mark because, as much as you now say 'looks don't matter' - they do.

As if the best "renders" even in this link are any near close to how they will perceived in real life, but even with that, I'm still laying my marker on the camera array configuration being a significant innovation for bokeh, 3D, AR, and computational imaging. The aesthetics of that bump with those functions won't even be an issue, and I will state unequivocally, that this iPhone will be the standard to which Android OS device makers will converge and copy.

More to the point, I've never seen your "design sense" as relevant in the Apple ecosystem.

3D? AR?

Haven't we been here before with AR Core against Android? 600 million iDevices ready to jump start the AR era!

How many years ago was that? Nothing really came of it and the latest AR has even ticked the iPhone X off the supported list.

There is still a way to go until September. Rather than guessing what Apple will reveal then, you should be asking yourself why you can't use tri cameras NOW on iPhones. After all they appeared on Android devices over a year ago. Night Mode. Ultra wide angle. Dual Video. AIIS. x3/x5 Zoom etc.

You can bet all you want on what - might -appear on the 2019 iPhone but the facts are Apple is way behind the competition - NOW.

And while Apple finally drags itself slowly up to date, rumours say Huawei is about to move the carrot again:

https://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/117261-two_lead/This-could-be-our-first-glimpse-of-the-Huawei-Mate-30-or-Mate-30-Pro-circular-camera-setup.jpg

His biggest fault is that he constantly falls into the trap commenting on features as if they are already confirmed only to follow with 'maybe', 'perhaps', 'could be'. 

He tip toes around the major failings of iPhone over the last three years by making a cursory reference to 'playing catch up' which is an understatement wherever there was one.

He tries to excuse the lack of major photography features by claiming they are not there because Apple wants 'instant' processing of the image. I beg to differ there. Users want the photo and if a very difficult night shot takes a couple of seconds to process, you walk away with the shot. With current iPhones you often walk away with nothing! To make matters worse he completely forgets that many of the shots themselves are 3-8 second hand held exposures. That's right. Users find time to record the scene. A couple of seconds processing really is a non-issue. iPhone users would jump on the opportunity to have great low light performance now.

Strange how immediacy is used to excuse Apple in photography but waiting for an iPhone to charge out of the box (something worse than watching paint dry) is not mentioned at all! Just a reference to a bigger battery.

Design. It's clear he expects the worst and is trying to convince himself that he'll have to swallow an 'ugly' phone if the renders prove to be correct. His word is 'bizarre' as he desperately tries to come to terms with what may be the ugliest iPhone to date. What I find astounding is that far too often he simply takes it as a given that these renders are the real deal even though he comes back to his 'maybes'.

Of course, he completely fails to mention the fact that the Mate 30 Pro and Note 10 will also be out around the same time and Apple really cannot afford to huff and puff to reach three cameras while new phones possibly take another leap ahead.

As for real-time video effects, Huawei already has things like painting out colours on the boiler and running through the NPU. Dual video too.

All in all it's almost apologetic. It's like saying 'hey folks, 2019 is not going to be the be re-design you want so don't get your hopes up - just be pleased Apple is catching up'.

He makes the obligatory A13 reference but utterly fails to point out that the A12 was in exactly the same position regarding Android - it really had nothing to show for it.

As with every year I'm hoping for much more! Competition is what we need and three years of flat sales and the roof falling in on the Christmas season should have been enough for Tim to get the message: 2019= All Guns Blazing!

Cool!

You watched it and commented!

I couldn't have asked for more.

I just have to remember that I have this posted from you on Independence Day, so that I can reference it after the iPhone 11 comes out in September.

You know, after the reviews start arriving.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

He is guessing.

3D? AR?

Cool!

I just have to remember that I have this posted from you on Independence Day, so that I can reference it after the iPhone 11 comes out in September.

Ok. I think the 2019 refresh is like the Samsung S10 refresh.

After a 'meh' S9 and Huawei upping the ante, Samsung had to deliver the goods on the S10.

I think they pulled it off.

I hope Apple can do the same because it will be a long wait to September 2020 (with the S11 and P40 launching around MWC 2020) if they don't.

Folding phones will be in their second generation. 5G will be rolling out worldwide and prices of both will be coming down.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    matrix077 said:
    LOL

He is guessing.

3D? AR?

Cool!

Ok. I think the 2019 refresh is like the Samsung S10 refresh.

After a 'meh' S9 and Huawei upping the ante, Samsung had to deliver the goods on the S10.

I think they pulled it off.

I hope Apple can do the same because it will be a long wait to September 2020 (with the S11 and P40 launching around MWC 2020) if they don't.

Folding phones will be in their second generation. 5G will be rolling out worldwide and prices of both will be coming down.
    You do know that I will throw these comments back in your face when the iPhone 11 is released. You prognostications aren't very prescient, as it will turn out.
    watto_cobra