Apple said to be planning 'foldable iPad' with 5G next year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    techno said:
    Why does it seem like Apple is like a dog chasing it's own tail? They are now copying the company (Samsung) that has traditionally copied Apple. 
    Do you comprehend what a rumor is?

Also, if they do come out with this next year (which I highly doubt) it would have been in development for years and not the result of copying from some failed knockoff brand that rushed to market.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

MindRight said:
    If this is true I can definitely understand why Johnny Ive is leaving the company. They are now industry followers who have run out of innovative ideas. It seems the iPad will be the next continually regurgitated cash cow until Apple can find something new to copy. Foldable screens are not going to be the trend; period. There is no competitive advantage to these ridiculous things and the cost to purchase as well as repair these things will be astronomical. Apple needs to get a CEO with a vision or they are going to wind up financially, down the road, where they were in the 90's
    Please pass the reefer. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    techno said:
    Why does it seem like Apple is like a dog chasing it's own tail? They are now copying the company (Samsung) that has traditionally copied Apple. 
    So... in your eyes, anyone who releases a folding device in the future is copying Samsung?
    Is it possible that Apple (and others) have been working on this 'feature' for years already?
    Apple has had (to my understanding) patent applications in that relate to folding devices that date back several years but for you it won't matter as whatever they release is just a poor copy of Samsung....?????

I'm not convinced that there is a big market for this type of device but what do I know eh?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Well the challenges seem formidable. One way to make the larger ones a bit more portable outside a bike messenger bag I suppose. But evenso I doubt I’d bite. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Ha ha ha. No. 
  • Reply 26 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    techno said:
    So... in your eyes, anyone who releases a folding device in the future is copying Samsung?
    Is it possible that Apple (and others) have been working on this 'feature' for years already?
    Apple has had (to my understanding) patent applications in that relate to folding devices that date back several years but for you it won't matter as whatever they release is just a poor copy of Samsung....?????

I'm not convinced that there is a big market for this type of device but what do I know eh?
    It’s a little bit like the argument that there’s no market for the original iPhone in 2007 because a smartphone needed a built-in keyboard. “Where’s the market” for a touch screen “toy”? I’m not saying it’s exactly the same, but he practical applications of this type of device fictionally portrayed in the TV series WESTWORLD, and other near-future sci-fi shows, clearly demonstrate that if Apple perfects this tech, it would be preferred over the current phablet limitations, and would eliminate the need to own, and keep track of multiple devices.

the iPad is the logical place to start developing this tech as it allows them to work on a larger scale before it has to be miniaturized for phone use.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mac_128 said:
    normang said:
    I hope Apple never makes any device "foldable" ever....  Unless it's a case with a cover.
    Because?

the samsung screen has a crease and it doesn’t even close properly, i doubt apple will release a screen which messes with artists ability to draw on the screen. 

I doubt Apple would come up with such an inelegant solution either, but artists are hardly the only people using an iPad. I would imagine this would not replace all iPads, and artists would simply buy the standard non-foldable model, while a business person might buy a foldable model to replace their iPad mini.
    Japhey said:
    Nope. 
    An iPad mini Pro may have been believable, but this is just clickbait. I’ve never heard even one person say “You know, I really wish my iPad could fold in half”. 
    So your anecdotal experiences are all that matter? Go read the iPad mini thread comments — a big one was the ability to pocket the device, which can’t be done with a standard iPad (another way of saying “I wish my iPad could fold in half”). Being able to fold a larger screened iPad would solve that issue for most and replace that category, while making the larger iPads more convenient for many.

if you’d said this is clickbait because it would cut into Apple’s case sales — I’d say you had a point. ;-)
    False dilemma. A≠B
  • Reply 28 of 46
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    mac_128 said:
    techno said:

It’s a little bit like the argument that there’s no market for the original iPhone in 2007 because a smartphone needed a built-in keyboard. “Where’s the market” for a touch screen “toy”? I’m not saying it’s exactly the same, but he practical applications of this type of device fictionally portrayed in the TV series WESTWORLD, and other near-future sci-fi shows, clearly demonstrate that if Apple perfects this tech, it would be preferred over the current phablet limitations, and would eliminate the need to own, and keep track of multiple devices.

the iPad is the logical place to start developing this tech as it allows them to work on a larger scale before it has to be miniaturized for phone use.
    That has been tried and tested almost 2 decades ago: Nokia Communicator and similars with Windows CE. All of these were “folding” devices, with display on one half and keyboard on the other half. My point is, folding is not a feature that would allow to overcome “current phablet limitations”. Take the netbook: if folds very well. But they left their place to iPads and phablets. What that Korean company does is to replace the keyboard of a netbook with another display (doesn’t matter whether the display is continuous or divided). This is nothing more than a techno-burlesque and can never compare to Apple’s dismissal of physical keyboard with a software achievement which is multitouch.
    edited July 2019 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    techno said:
    Hardly. A rumor is not a product.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    It may work, Apple can do that, provided that it is designed not as a seamless display like Samsung's bendable OLED plastics, but as two displays that may become one or remain two, for example when a keyboard is needed.

If the device is folded in 90 degree, it may display a haptic keyboard on the lower display. When unfolded backwards to 180 degree, the device may think "I'm a big display now" and may show a single screen on both displays. The joining borders of the displays may become a single very thin line that wouldn't bother the audience of that big display. Even the artists may not be bothered by that discountinuity since Apple can compensate for that via software, by providing a seamless continuous stroke to the artist.

Apple's experience in thinness and precision engineering may provide such a device. And obviously, it should be very thin, even thinner than the Retina Macbook, because otherwise people will always prefer a laptop.
    edited July 2019 tmaydewme
  • Reply 31 of 46
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    MindRight said:
    They are now industry followers who have run out of innovative ideas. It seems the iPad will be the next continually regurgitated cash cow until Apple can find something new to copy. Foldable screens are not going to be the trend; period. T
    You have no idea what you're talking bout.

Apple started this "trend" when knockoff companies saw their folding display patents and started tripping over their own feet to rush out a crappy interpretation. This happens often and later when Apple releases their finished product morons scream "Apple copied!"

IF Apple decides to release a folding display it will be original and different that these idiots at Samsung imagined.
    ravnorodomStrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 46
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    MindRight said:
    If this is true I can definitely understand why Johnny Ive is leaving the company. They are now industry followers who have run out of innovative ideas. It seems the iPad will be the next continually regurgitated cash cow until Apple can find something new to copy. Foldable screens are not going to be the trend; period. There is no competitive advantage to these ridiculous things and the cost to purchase as well as repair these things will be astronomical. Apple needs to get a CEO with a vision or they are going to wind up financially, down the road, where they were in the 90's
    🤣🤣🤣!!!
    Rayz2016fastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 46
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    Perhaps it’s a splitting LCD (like the clamshell Nintendo 3DS). Top one will be used to display painting at 10% while bottom one is a 100% close-up and is a touch screen so you can paint on it while upper screen continuously does its live update. For music, top screen is for musical notes while bottom part is virtual keyboard. For DJ, songs display on top while virtual scrubs are on bottom. Potentials are endless. This sounds more like the next MacBook Pro’s touch bar being maximized and it covers the whole keyboard part of laptop. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 34 of 46
    krreagan2krreagan2 Posts: 75member
    I don't think a foldable is feasible in the near-term (5-10years). The seem has to tight of a radius (<1mm).  I remember a device in the movie Red Planet that was like a modern day scroll where it was tube shaped (about the size of a paper towel tube, sans paper) and the screen was pulled out when needed (perhaps 5mm radius). While there are several flaws in the movie version, I think they may have been on the right track. I think the tech would be easier to engineer than a foldable.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Sorry, I guess I forgot... Now what problem does a foldable screen solve again?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    It may work, Apple can do that, provided that it is designed not as a seamless display like Samsung's bendable OLED plastics, but as two displays that may become one or remain two, for example when a keyboard is needed.

If the device is folded in 90 degree, it may display a haptic keyboard on the lower display. When unfolded backwards to 180 degree, the device may think "I'm a big display now" and may show a single screen on both displays. The joining borders of the displays may become a single very thin line that wouldn't bother the audience of that big display. Even the artists may not be bothered by that discountinuity since Apple can compensate for that via software, by providing a seamless continuous stroke to the artist.

Apple's experience in thinness and precision engineering may provide such a device. And obviously, it should be very thin, even thinner than the Retina Macbook, because otherwise people will always prefer a laptop.
    I see this as a possibility for the ARM analog to the Mac Book, sans x86; a haptic keyboard and a screen hinged together with, as you state, a "very thin line" when unfolded into landscape view. The problem is that the screen technology to create a matched, near seamless joint, to do that doesn't exist, at least in production, and there will still be a need to prevent those two mating edges from chipping and other damage, especially when the thickness of keyboard and screen are only three or four millimeters in thickness.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Just because one company failed in its design and implementation of a concept doesn't mean the underlying concept is a dead end. Didn't some early aircraft prototypes have flapping wings and crazy stuff like that? We won't really know where the concept of an expandable screen will end up until someone, possibly Apple, gets it right and it becomes the archetype for all to follow. Whether or not this rumor or true or not it would be good to have competent technologists like Apple in pursuit of the goal of having an expandable screen surface.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    We’ve seen this plenty of times before. If they can spread a rumor that Apple is doing it then (they hope) others will assume that Their poor attempt at prematurely ejaculating a technology onto the public is worth purchasing. I wouldn’t be surprised if this came from Samsung.

Surely Apple has been working with this tech for years, but I see nothing to indicate it would be ready for a mass produced, high quality product. I even wonder if the proper display tech components have even been invented yet to allow for this to be feasible for a company like Apple, regardless of cost.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    LOL....  These comments...
    NAH!    NO WAY!   THAT'LL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN!     APPLE WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT!   
    OoooH  FOLDABLE PHONE - BARF!     OoooH  5G - BARF!

And, the truth is, they may not.
    But, it is a certainty that they have least looked at it and investigated the issues, questions and promises of the form factor.

I sure am glad to know that ai commenters aren't running Apple!

But, aside from the issues of when, if and how to fold foldable screens into mobile products, there is the 5G issue.
    5G will eventually become essentially "WiFi everywhere" (at least in populated areas) and Apple has to be looking at 5G connectivity for every product everywhere it is likely to be used.  Your Mac or iPad shouldn't lose 3/4's of its functionality when you walk out of the coffee shop.  And, with increasing use and dependence on cloud based services, that issue will become even more prominent.

Go Apple!   Keep Charging!  (And don't stumble over the nay-sayers!)
  • Reply 40 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mac_128 said:
    techno said:

That has been tried and tested almost 2 decades ago: Nokia Communicator and similars with Windows CE. All of these were “folding” devices, with display on one half and keyboard on the other half. My point is, folding is not a feature that would allow to overcome “current phablet limitations”. Take the netbook: if folds very well. But they left their place to iPads and phablets. What that Korean company does is to replace the keyboard of a netbook with another display (doesn’t matter whether the display is continuous or divided). This is nothing more than a techno-burlesque and can never compare to Apple’s dismissal of physical keyboard with a software achievement which is multitouch.
    'Always listen to the experts.  They'll will tell what can't be done and why.   Then do it"
    .... Lazurus Long, in the year 2575